Author Topic: 2005 People 50 Valve Adjustment, HELP!!!  (Read 2614 times)

eamartin

• View Profile
Re: 2005 People 50 Valve Adjustment, HELP!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2020, 11:02:09 PM »
I cannot offer much help....except I see in my Kymco Super8 2T service manual that the maximum ring end gap is listed as 0.40mm.  Seems like a place to start.  I imagine there are "rules of thumb" for this.

Ricfratt

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2020, 02:08:47 AM »
Thanks scooterfan, I'll check the gaps tomorrow. So the kit to rebuild the whole top end includes, piston, rings, head, etc. and is less than $70.  So before I continue down this road a couple of questions, 1) what else could be causing compression loss, 2) is is worth getting the upgrade (big bore) version?
NorCal surfer with 2, as yet running Kymco People 50's

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2020, 09:34:30 AM »
Thanks scooterfan, I'll check the gaps tomorrow. So the kit to rebuild the whole top end includes, piston, rings, head, etc. and is less than $70.  So before I continue down this road a couple of questions, 1) what else could be causing compression loss, 2) is is worth getting the upgrade (big bore) version?

On 2 stroke engines I think a loss of compression can only be caused by:
1. Ring gap too big.
2. Piston sleave wear, (look for a ridge at the top of the sleave where the upper ring is located when the piston is in TDC position) or deep scratches at the piston walls.
3. Clogged ring grooves.
4. Broken rings.
5. Cracked, or damaged head gaskets.
6. Warped cylinder heads.
7. Loose cylinder head bolts.
8. Holes burnt in piston due to excessive heat.

I think it might only make sense to go for a new kit once all possibilities (mentioned above) have been eliminated.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Ricfratt

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2020, 12:08:12 AM »
So tried to take some measurements (not the greatest tools) and the ring gaps seemed large.  The top ring (smaller one) was .4 and the 2nd was bigger still.  Manual says:

Piston ring end gap (top/second): 0.10 / 0.25; Service Limit: 0.40

So guessing top end rebuild is in order.  Any thoughts on going ahead with a bigger bore kit or stick with stock?

I just hope this is all it needs or these "free" scooters are gonna start to cost me.  ;D

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2020, 08:30:01 AM »
So tried to take some measurements (not the greatest tools) and the ring gaps seemed large.  The top ring (smaller one) was .4 and the 2nd was bigger still.  Manual says:

Piston ring end gap (top/second): 0.10 / 0.25; Service Limit: 0.40

So guessing top end rebuild is in order.  Any thoughts on going ahead with a bigger bore kit or stick with stock?

I just hope this is all it needs or these "free" scooters are gonna start to cost me.  ;D

What are the mileage on these scooters ?

Two stroke engines run hotter than 4 stroke engines. I noticed on the photos that these are not “forced” air cooled engines - whitch made me think these engines will run extremely hot. Specially at high RPMs, at speed, and due to the “hidden” location of the engine.
Maybe you should get more mileage from the engine if you can get more air flow on the engine somehow ?
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2020, 12:58:47 PM »
Maybe before you make the jump to a new top end of big bore kit from ebay you should check out some of the youtube vids from the scooter performance shops? I know scooterswapshop and rolling wrench denver talk a lot about aftermarket pistons, cylinders and heads (and sell them to from their online shops). There are probably quite a few others out there, too.

Might be the difference between spending $70 on an unknown vs $110 for a very high quality aftermarket part?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Ricfratt

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2020, 06:35:52 PM »
Thanks all. Both scooters have about 1800 miles on the odometer so doesn't seem like they'd be so worn. But like I said the ring grooves were out of tolerance, assuming I measured things correctly.  And thanks for the suggested research, checked out several scooter parts sites and videos and think I'm just going to order a stock rebuild kit (new cylinder, rings, piston, etc.) and see if I can just get one running. If I can I'll tackle the other one and maybe "hop" it up a bit.  I'll post updates in case anyone is interested.  Cheers.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 06:53:09 PM by Ricfratt »

Ricfratt

• View Profile
Okay so finally go around to installing a new piston and rings.  I now have spark, fuel, and compression.  AND IT STILL WON'T START!!!   >:(

I've drained the fuel tank and pulled out the carb.  Ran carb cleaner through the whole thing and reinstalled it. Just have to get some fresh gas tomorrow to see if that works. 

I also don't know where the final vacuum line to the fuel valve/filter goes.  Here is a pic, the 4th nipple doesn't have a line on it and i can't for the life of me find where the line is supposed to attach to.  I assume it goes to manifold vacuum somewhere but i can't find a a fitting to connect it to.  Anyone know? 

If this doesn't work these 2 scooters might end up in the Petaluma River!  Any thoughts, ideas, or wild ass guesses are welcome.

Cheers.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()