Author Topic: coil help  (Read 2105 times)

Macnerd77

• View Profile
coil help
« on: April 13, 2018, 02:32:45 AM »
Hey all I recently purchased a 2007 Kymco ZX 50 Super Fever Scooter. I decided to give it a tune up so I went about replacing the spark plug and coil along with cleaning the air filter. I am having issues with the coil. It seems to be too long where it connects to the spark plug. When I sit on the scooter the components above contact the coil connector and bend and crack it at the spark plug. Do I need a short spark plug or is there a special coil that is shorter? The mistake I made during all this was throwing out the old coil and plug without looking at them thoroughly to see if they were different than the one I bought.

Thanks in advance
Kymco ZX 50 Super Fever

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: coil help
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 11:27:26 AM »
Can you locate an exploded parts diagram from online seller to get a look at the coil....and correct spark plug?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 02:17:50 PM »
Parts diagram shows what appears to be a 90 degree cap rather than the 45 degree cap shown in the photo.  Would the different angle solve the problem?  Since your cap is now broken, can you buy a new cap and just shorten the wire as needed? 

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 07:49:31 PM »
You have bigger problems with the cooling shroud being all busted up (on the left side in last picture). Looks like previous owner  or his tech mangled things.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 08:15:27 AM »
You have bigger problems with the cooling shroud being all busted up (on the left side in last picture). Looks like previous owner  or his tech mangled things.

Agreed, that'll cause seizure in the long term and should be a #1 priority to put right. Forced air cooling only works when the shrouds are in good order!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()