Author Topic: New owner  (Read 398 times)

Mikester

• View Profile
New owner
« on: February 10, 2023, 04:18:55 PM »
Just purchased a 2016 Exciting 500i yesterday with 2100 miles. Still own a 2002 sportster that I will be selling. As I turn 70, am hoping the Kymco will allow me to continue to enjoy the two wheel experience. Will change oil and both filters before taking it out. Plann on using Mobil 1 10W40. I live just outside of Ft Worth TX. Have never ridden a scooter before. Any advice would be appreciated.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: New owner
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 02:03:32 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

Practice in church lots riding a no-clutch bike🙂

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 08:42:34 AM »
You’ve got experience riding a HD Sportster? Then the transition to the scooter should be an easy one; think the difference between a manual (stick shift) car and an automatic. It’s that easy.  Just beware of the brakes on your Kymco. Unlike the HD,they work! 😂

Seriously, as Stig says, practice somewhere quiet then get out there and enjoy.  Most of us on here either made the transition from motorcycles to scooters or still ride both.

Welcome on board. Guarantee you’ll love it!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2023, 11:25:01 PM »
My experience on five different scooters taught me to not be timid on the throttle when starting from stopped: you want to get the clutch engaged quickly and then let the CVT do the shifting. Also, use both hands simultaneously when braking. I bet you will love being shiftless and feet free. 
2009 GV 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()