Author Topic: Are these thing supposed to work  (Read 3980 times)

bobofgsm

• View Profile
Are these thing supposed to work
« on: January 31, 2012, 11:53:45 PM »
I have a question for the forum. There are what appears to be turn signals or running lights in the faring just above the low beams on my 2011 DT 300i. Are they supposed to work ? (They don't) Or better yet can they be made to work ? It looks like there are amber bulbs in the lens.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Are these thing supposed to work
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 12:53:28 AM »
They are for Euro./Asian markets only. U.S. D.O.T. does not allow them as they are too close together for approval. Many of us have UN-plugged/removed the stalks, and are using the cowl lights. Unplug the old, and plug in the new.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Oldscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 02:35:16 PM »
They are for Euro./Asian markets only. U.S. D.O.T. does not allow them as they are too close together for approval. Many of us have UN-plugged/removed the stalks, and are using the cowl lights. Unplug the old, and plug in the new.

Are the amber bulbs already in place? One post seemed to indicate that it was necessary to put new amber bulbs into the housing.

Can you unplug the old and plug in the new wiring without removing a lot of the "tupperware"? 

bobofgsm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 11:53:56 PM »
It looks like the bulbs are there. I would require a total tupperwarectomy to look at the wiring.

Oldscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 09:22:28 PM »
It looks like the bulbs are there. I would require a total tupperwarectomy to look at the wiring.

Has anyone stripped off the tupperware on this bike yet to do the turn signal mod? On my Burgman it was nightmare to get to some things.  Any tricks? Does it go back together without issues?

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 02:18:34 AM »
I have not done anything with the built in turn signal bulbs but have had the front off several times. I suggest getting your hands on a service manual for the bike. There are 4 bolts on the side and 1 bolt in front to remove the windshield then there are 11 screws and 2 nuts to remove the front plastic. put something on the fender to keep from scratching it. 2 plugs to unhook all the front lights. I purchased an online shop manual before I receive the dt300i. Well worth it.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

bobofgsm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 03:40:02 AM »
It has been a few weeks and I have had a chance to remover the faring in the front of the DT 300. I found that all that Kymco did to disable the “wink” lights is cut the hot (+) leads to the bulbs. I can fix them to be turn signal by jump the hot side of the lead from the flasher circuit back to the bulb or I can fix them as running lights by Scotch Locking the wink light lead to the hot wire for the bezel LED s.
I want feed back as to which approach the forum thinks has the bigger safety factor Thanks

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 04:45:31 AM »
On  your scoot either way is acceptable. Your charging system can handle the xtra load. I only changed mine to avoid breaking the stalks ALL the time. Personal preference Bro.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

bobofgsm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 11:40:43 PM »
Hi Guys, I have wired the amber lights to come on and off with the key. They look great and I will post a picture if spring ever come back to upstate New York.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 12:09:44 AM »
Sweet Victory...

full of days

• View Profile
Re: Re: Are these thing supposed to work
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 10:34:14 PM »
Can someone post a DIY?  i have been looking for some pics/video instruction of how to do this...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()