Author Topic: Summer Start Procedure  (Read 3708 times)

wkreps

• View Profile
Summer Start Procedure
« on: August 04, 2016, 06:49:42 PM »
Since my starting problems I had this past winter, I decided that even in the summer I'd turn the key on and then wait to start until the engine light goes out (fuel pump stops pumping) and then hit the starter button. This works but once in a great while (only twice this summer) it doesn't want to start and then I try doing the winter thing where I let the fuel pump cycle a couple more times and then try and start. I play hell getting the thing started but then once I do it is gone again for quite some time. I'm wondering if I'm flooding the thing cycling the fuel pump and how I tell if I am. Should I just try and start without waiting on the fuel pump? Is it really making a difference or am I just imagining things?
Wayne

xsel777

• View Profile
Re: Summer Start Procedure
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 05:32:54 AM »
Ever since I have had the stator replaced, I no longer trickle charge every night, and it being winter here, it has started every single day without fail on the first  press of the button,with no waiting for the pump to charge .
The charging of the pump happens anyway, because with the key  in the ignition and turning key to get seat up to get my helmet and gloves,at some point the key is in the start position during the fetching gear process.
2 months ,moving toward 3 now, no further starting problems.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 12:30:13 PM »
Ever since I have had the stator replaced, I no longer trickle charge every night, and it being winter here, it has started every single day without fail on the first  press of the button,with no waiting for the pump to charge .
The charging of the pump happens anyway, because with the key  in the ignition and turning key to get seat up to get my helmet and gloves,at some point the key is in the start position during the fetching gear process.
2 months ,moving toward 3 now, no further starting problems.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

That's very good news!
Can't imagine too many scooter things worse than walking towards your scooter not knowing if it is going to start!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 09:39:31 PM »
That's very good news!
Can't imagine too many scooter things worse than walking towards your scooter not knowing if it is going to start!
Stig
Mine(People 50) has been that way since I got it. Still trying to pinpoint the problem. If I get it to start easily when it's cold, it won't always start when it's hot or warm. My wife is tired of me calling her saying it won't start. I've never actually been stranded but have had to wait a half hour for it to cool off to get it to start. Last time I ran the battery almost dead before it started. I'm planning on changing to manual choke if nothing else works.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 11:18:45 AM »
My DT300 starts first stab every time.
Now the coldest it ever sees is about 35 for a low but months and months of 95 plus without issue.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

CiderBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 09:05:07 AM »
I would say that the summer issue may well be flooding. In the UK summer, my 500i will fire up no problem without waiting for the fuel pump. (I.E. Bike left for 8 hours in the hot car park at work). If the temperature is very hot, say 30 degrees, then there will be a fuel vapourisation that takes place and I do experience the engine fire up but then stop, all be it temporarily. I think this just is because the engine is getting too much fuel for the ambient temperature.

Don't right off the use of that BRISK Sparkplug we talked about earlier. This time get the one I mention in my post.

https://www.briskracing.com/premium-racing-ar12zs-spark-plug-detail

Regards,

CiderBoy.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 09:57:57 AM »
High 90's down to 3°F.....my LIKE200I starts first stab as well.
Settles in to a nice idle and 0 driveability issues as I pull away.
But then so did the EFI'd Forza and the Burgman 400...and 1989 VW
Jetta & '91 Vanagon.
Big fan of EFI - it was a selling point for buying the LIKE200I.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 03:31:35 AM »
High 90's down to 3°F.....my LIKE200I starts first stab as well.
Settles in to a nice idle and 0 driveability issues as I pull away.
But then so did the EFI'd Forza and the Burgman 400...and 1989 VW
Jetta & '91 Vanagon.
Big fan of EFI - it was a selling point for buying the LIKE200I.
Stig
I'm sold on fuel injection for everything! If they made a fuel injected chain saw, I'd buy it. I remember when my father and I were leery of fuel injection when they first became common. By the time he retired in 1996, my father said he didn't want to have anything to do with a carburetor! When I bought my first scooter, fuel injection was a MUST. Yes it's more expensive when there's a problem. But problems are rare when compared to carburetors. And drivability is more consistent across the temperature spectrum. It seems that the Xciting 500 is the lone exception.
2009 Xciting 250

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 06:54:16 PM »
I would first try a true gel battery, or even better a lithium. More cold cranking amps should do the trick. Kymco did not change to a larger size/more powerful battery when going to F I. The electric fuel pump draws more juice when cranking then old pump on carbed models. I think this will solve your issue? :-* Also, pop open your fuel cap/door for a second and close before starting/re-starting. If there is a fuel vapor lock issue, this should cure that? :-*

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 09:05:02 AM »
In the service manual of the DT300 (section 13-25), it says that the spark plug may become contaminated by fuel, making the engine hard to start. To purge the fuel from the engine, turn the ignition on, open the throttle to full and press the starter button for 3 seconds. I have also found that twisting the throttle slighlyt back while pressing the starter button helps a lot with hard starts.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 09:57:36 AM »
I'm sold on fuel injection for everything! If they made a fuel injected chain saw, I'd buy it. I remember when my father and I were leery of fuel injection when they first became common. By the time he retired in 1996, my father said he didn't want to have anything to do with a carburetor! When I bought my first scooter, fuel injection was a MUST. Yes it's more expensive when there's a problem. But problems are rare when compared to carburetors. And drivability is more consistent across the temperature spectrum. It seems that the Xciting 500 is the lone exception.
You start your scooter in 3 degree weather? I wouldn't even start myself in that weather. Lol. It would be one of those "let's see how well my furnace works" days. 😂. The coldest weather I can remember braving was 8 degrees. And I managed to start a 1967 Dodge Coronet 225 slant 6 with a non working choke. I was voted to be the one to go to the Church to turn the heat on. That was a much, much, younger , much braver 19 year old Forbes.
2009 Xciting 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 12:36:58 AM »
You have got to be a great mechanic Forbes! You got a Mopar to start in the cold? Just remember, never fight a man who drives a Chrysler product. Because he is already mad.  ;D ;D ;D
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 03:55:09 AM »
You have got to be a great mechanic Forbes! You got a Mopar to start in the cold? Just remember, never fight a man who drives a Chrysler product. Because he is already mad.  ;D ;D ;D

I just had fast feet. I could pat that accelerator really fast. But sometimes I'd get a cramp in my foot. Then once I got it started, I'd have to to the two foot driving. (Something the fuel injection raised kids will never know). It also helped that our driveway sloped downhill and went into the road at an angle, so I was doing 20 mph by the time I entered the road.
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 04:04:51 AM »
My mother did not have the same quick feet. For a while, she drove a 1976 Chrysler Córdoba 400 lean burn engine 4 barrel Carter . I held my breath every cold morning. She'd always seem to pull out in front of the school bus. And when the car would stall, instead of putting it in neutral and letting it continue to coast while she restarted it, she'd put it in PARK ! I could count on hearing that 66 passenger school bus's air brakes at least twice a week. This was my expression every morning as I listened for the high pitched whine of the reduction gear starter.😳😳
2009 Xciting 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 08:23:35 PM »
Aaah yes the Chrysler Cordoba, with rich Corinthian leather! I completely forgot about the foot tapping. I had a '66 Plymouth Belvedere I had to do that to!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()