Author Topic: Got hit today...  (Read 1162 times)

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
Got hit today...
« on: October 08, 2018, 08:51:35 PM »
I went to pick up a part for the vacuum on the pool, and parked in a regular parking spot.

Older guy parked illegally against the curb (on the yellow fire lane hashed lines) backed up and turned into my parked bike.

Knocked it over. Bent the sidestand to the point that it is not moveable, broke the RH mirror off, bent the LH brake lever about 30degrees down off the horizontal, and severely damaged the body panels on both sides, and especially around the exhaust and under the right handlebar. There's a gentle but discernible pull to the right, and this rhythmic swishing sound coming from around the front wheel. The LH side black panel below the headlights has a visible crack.
Luckily, I wasn't on it, or I'd have a broken leg or worse.

His comment? "I didn't see it. I can't see out of my mirrors to back up. Its nothing a little spray paint wont fix!" before he started to drive away. Another guy in the parking lot blocked him and told him he wasn't going to let him leave the scene of an accident.

Except, IMHO it wasn't an accident. It was negligence. How do you not look behind your car before you back up? What if there had been a kid back there? And he had to TURN to hit me. If he'd backed straight up, he'd have missed me.

I'll get the police report tomorrow afternoon, and my insurance agent was livid that someone would drive without being able to see clearly.

I nursed it home, and what is normally an 18-20 minute ride took a little over an hour. That's when I noticed the swishing sound. Goes away when I apply the RH-brake lever. The cop was nice enough to wait in the lot for me to see if it was rideable, and I did mention the slight pull to the right to him. Wonder if he'll put it in the report?
I have no idea how much it's going to cost to repair the bike.  Almost all of the bodypanels will probably have to be replaced. The RH mirror will have to be replaced, as the base is cracked. It will need a new sidestand. If the motor housing is damaged where the sidestand attaches, I may need a new motor housing. If not, it may just need a new sidestand. Or it may need a new motor.

She's really messed up.  I'm really angry, and frustrated, and disgusted, and a hundred other emotions. The SOB kept trying to make every excuse in the book, and blame me because I was angry that he hit my bike, but I had parked the damn thing and was walking into the store! He acted like he didn't do a damn thing wrong, and I was wrong for causing him delay in his day.

So, there won't be any new updates or reports of any kind for a while, until all this gets sorted. Catch you all later.

Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Got hit today...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 01:33:33 AM »
OK.
Glad you weren't on it.
Geez, sounds like both sides were messed up - so, not just a simple one-side tip-over with damage to one side?

Did you get plenty of photos of the whole scene with your phone?

Yes, all kinds out there driving - parking lots are my least favorite areas.

Take care, and good luck.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 01:41:12 AM »
I trust you will take it to the best repair shop (Kymco dealer?) for restoration, plus rent a replacement for the time it is in the shop, all paid for by his insurance or him, personally.
2009 GV 250

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 03:20:29 AM »
Also glad you weren't on it.

Their insurance should cover it though, right? That's what it's for... right?

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 04:37:31 AM »
Glad you're OK.
Hopefully the insurance will just cover your cost, or likely full replacement value since scoots tend to get totaled very easily.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 06:53:34 AM »
Stupid and frustrating situation.
Hope you get back in the saddle soon.
Agility City 125

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 04:40:10 PM »
 >:( >:( >:(
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 05:22:24 PM »
 If it pulls to one side, it is likely that the insurance company will total it.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 05:42:34 PM »
Sorry to hear about that ET. I hope you got pictures....sounds like the guy needed a smack in head. If you didn't see it he would have rode off without telling anyone. People can be such pieces of crap sometimes.

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 06:49:41 PM »
So sorry but glad you are unharmed. Glad the old guy got stopped. Saw this kind of thing happen in Kansas City in 63. Old guy gets in his tank-like car and backs straight back into a brand-new MGB and was ready to take off when I stopped him. I got him out to look at the damage and he said, " I did not see him." I said did you even look? He said he had trouble turning his head because of arthritis (which I understand!). Well, did you look BEFORE you got in to see what obstacles you had? No, of course he didn't and that's why he did not answer. The owner of the MGB came out and I had to make sure the old man gave him the correct information. The old guy did not want to accept responsibility. Thought that strange for the time. You have to compensate as you get older to make up for loss of mobility. You supposed to get wiser as you get older but I guess some just become more evasive!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 08:13:37 PM »
If it pulls to one side, it is likely that the insurance company will total it.

sounds totaled to me too
RandyO
IBA#9560

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 02:31:33 AM »
A lesson for all of us: Don't park closely behind any vehicle, especially a truck, SUV or RV.
2009 GV 250

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 07:54:23 PM »
Glad you are ok and hopefully your scoot will be fixed or replaced soon.  It's a crazy world out there at times and I am still constantly amazed (and disgusted) by some of the driving I see everyday.

Louder North

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 08:41:37 PM »
Terrible thing to have experienced EvilT.  It is my fear everytime I park on the street and, having a scooter, often try to park next to a bicycle rack or other empty space next to a building and away from cars. 

If possible you could turn this into a photo story for this forum - photo documenting the damage and what you will be doing as far as repairing it or replacing it as the case may be.  If it is totaled, it could still be source of parts if you have the room to store it. 

2009 Kymco Frost (aka Yager 200i)
10,000 km
bought used in 2018
2007 Aprilia SR50 (Morini motor)
2013 Aprilia SR50 (Piaggio motor)
1986 BMW R80

Snoopzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 04:13:26 PM »
God do I really hate people now a days.  Unfortunately it’s becoming almost the norm for people to hit and run.  My brand new VW Golf (now 10 months in my possession) has been hit 5 different times by bad parallel parking without so much as a sorry note.  Luckily the worst hit was captured on our buildings security camera and the cops were able to hunt the driver down, albeit I haven’t heard a peep from him and he had until yesterday to cough up his insurance information or they are suspending his driving and registration privileges (which reminds me to call the officer and see what’s what).  And few months ago my girlfriends Audi was hit and run with $4000 worth of damage and the only reason I was able to find the idiot that hit it was a piece of his car was left at the scene and after looking up the part # to find what vehicle I was looking for and driving the neighborhood for an hour I spotted his SUV missing said part and her paint scraped down the side.   His excuse to the officer was he didn’t know what to do when it happened....the officer was like sure buddy it appears you didn’t even stop.  Anyways sorry to hear about that and glad someone blocked the prick from driving away.  Is it just me or does it seem like the majority of society now a days, seems to pass the blame on everything/everyone else and most people can’t accept responsibility for the consequences of their actions.  It’s always someone else’s fault they were negligent, but of course if the shoe was on the other foot, one better look out. 
2018 Kymco Like 150i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()