Author Topic: Over 2 WEEKS since a post on this sub-forum? Wow!  (Read 1704 times)

alphaBETAdog

• View Profile
Over 2 WEEKS since a post on this sub-forum? Wow!
« on: September 04, 2013, 10:07:50 PM »
Well then I will just have to make a post on how much I am liking my new GTi300.  Put about 500 miles on since buying it a few weeks ago.  This machine is a real joy to ride and operate. I’ve rode motorcycles for 45 years, and this is my 3rd scooter since being introduced to them 3 years ago. Inherited my dad’s Piaggio Fly 150 that kicked it off. Then found a super deal on a large-wheel Aprilia Scarabeo 150 which I liked even better. I really liked the way it handled and performed just up to freeway speeds, but it just wasn’t enough to keep up with sustained freeway speeds (in AZ most are posted 65 or 75 mph – which means drivers are doing 5 – 10 above that).  So after buying the GTi I have relegated it to a “buddy scoot” or for just around town when I know won’t need to go on the high speed highway for any length of time.

Anyway, I’m quite impressed with my Kymco.  I’ve took several panels off to change the spark plug to a NGK Iridium one and to check all fluids and to install a Battery Tender pigtail. Like many others have stated before; the fit & finish and build quality is second to none of the European or Japanese brands I have owned.  I like the low center of gravity and the way it handles, the riding position, the ease to get it up and off the centerstand and the fact that it also comes with a side stand.  The rear case seems to be very usable and adequate for me and conveniently holds my helmet, gloves, and light jacket in it when going into a store. The under seat storage is not vast, but it nicely holds a water bottle and miscellaneous items like tools and tire repair kit, maps, and room for a little more.  I really like the large vibration-free mirrors, and absolutely love the turn indicator with audible tone!  I wish all my bikes had this fantastic safety feature.

I installed the Biondi windscreen that I bought from Scooterville. Although it looks nice and I didn’t find it to have any distortion issues that some have reported, I did find it focused the wind blast right into my face and seemed to increase the wind noise to my helmet even with my face shield down. I like to wear my HJC IC-33 ¾ helmet when riding my scooters, and even with earplugs the wind noise and slight buffeting was annoying so I took the windshield off.  I’ll try it again when the cooler weather comes, and perhaps I might even cut it down some.

I have a couple of nits, and I hope nobody misconstrues these, which sometimes does on these forums, that may put them off an otherwise superb machine. They are really quite small things. #1; the brake levers are not adjustable to allow them to be rotated up or down on the handlebar. There is a pin on the clamp that holds the position in a small hole on the handlebar that prevents me from ideally rotating them slightly downward for a little more comfortable position (for me). They are essentially positioned horizontally. #2; the radiator overflow bottle is hard to visually check, and I assume will be hard to top off. #3; this seat is firm and maybe even a bit hard, but I am hoping it will soften up with use. I might be spoiled as the Scarabeo has a seat that is next to my living room La-Z-Boy in comfort! I do plan to take off the seat cover to see if I can modify the bumstop to give me a little more room to scoot back. I’m 5’10”, but seem to have long legs for my height.  But other than these minor things, I’m very pleased with the GTi300.

Below are a couple of photos of a friend and me with the GTi and ‘Beo last weekend.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:09:44 PM by alphaBETAdog »
Central Arizona
'12 Kymco GTi300
'03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
'08 Beta RS450 Dualsport
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
Re: Over 2 WEEKS since a post on this sub-forum? Wow!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 12:57:54 PM »
ABD, I own a GT also and concur with your assessment of this scooter.
The GT is a fine machine.

I love the power to weight ratio and handling.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 01:01:27 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 09:08:20 PM »
I hope I don't rile some feathers here - but could you talk a little more about the Scarabeo.....I've been looking hard at a used one my dealer has . Love the seat and finish of that scooter! I love my new LIKE 200i LX, but thinking that my next scooter will be a big wheeled scoot. A SYM or Kymco - but really like the looks of the Scarabeo. Just don't know much about them - Servicing? Reliability? Build quality, etc. I have NO desire to get on the highway with any scooter - maybe a 50mph country road - but never more than that!

Could you give me a detailed run down of the scoot and your thoughts when you get the time. any more pix, esp. of the guts when servicing, etc.
Much appreciated - Stig in Ohio
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

alphaBETAdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 10:19:54 PM »
The Scarabeo 150 is also a great machine and the ones with the Rotax engine are very well regarded. They also made a similar 250 during the same time. I believe they both were made between '02-'07 with the Rotax engines, but was superceded by the much cheaper to produce 200 model with the Leader engine when Aprilia was bought out by Piaggio. Never had a single problem with it since I bought it with 1200 miles and it now has over 6000. The whole machine is very high quality, and the engine is a jewel - it even has roller lifters! I brag that the engine is; "like one cylinder out of a Ferrari". And it does have the most comfortable seat of anything I've ridden or driven.

I never hesitate to ride it up to 70 mph as is rides very sweet and like the GTi is really a motorcycle in a scooter clothing. The only negative I have ever heard of it is that it doesn't have a rev limiter and there is a potencial to over-rev the engine to disasterous results. I only heard of this recently as I used to flog the heck out of it since it is so much fun to do. I now treat her a little more gently, but still run her swiftly.

There is a nice forum at: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?24-Aprilia-and-Piaggio-150cc-350cc 
where the 'beo is often discussed.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:22:31 PM by alphaBETAdog »
Central Arizona
'12 Kymco GTi300
'03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
'08 Beta RS450 Dualsport
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 01:02:12 PM »
I hope I don't rile some feathers here - but could you talk a little more about the Scarabeo.....I've been looking hard at a used one my dealer has . Love the seat and finish of that scooter! I love my new LIKE 200i LX, but thinking that my next scooter will be a big wheeled scoot. A SYM or Kymco - but really like the looks of the Scarabeo. Just don't know much about them - Servicing? Reliability? Build quality, etc. I have NO desire to get on the highway with any scooter - maybe a 50mph country road - but never more than that!

Could you give me a detailed run down of the scoot and your thoughts when you get the time. any more pix, esp. of the guts when servicing, etc.
Much appreciated - Stig in Ohio

Stig, no ruffled feathers here. We share honest opinions about scoots and products. That is what makes sites like this one good for all.
I am going to stick my nose in on your question. Hope you don`t mind.
My wife got me interested in scooters about 3-4 years ago. She wanted one so I researched them extensively.
We ended up buying a 200 Scarabeo for her. She has had it for 2-3 years now. It has been a very good scoot with the exception of one small problem. We replaced the fan thermostat. Did it myself and took about 20 minutes.
When we went to a dealer to try scoots, I also tried out an Aprilia SportCity 250. I was impressed with it also. The wife wanted the 200 so that is what we bought.
Aprilia/Piaggio make some very desirable scooters. I love the 200 Scarabeo, 250 SportCity and Scarabeo 500.
I hear the Piaggio BV 350 is a jewel.

Now the downside: Some of their scoots have had problems with fuel pump hoses going bad. Recalls etc..
Dealer support in most areas is very poor.
If you find one you like at a good price, research it for known defects.
Parts can be had from AF1Racing in Texas.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 12:30:23 AM »
Thanks fellows - really appreciate your taking time to talk Scarabeos with me. Great photos all! (the western USA?)
Read some on the aprilia forum - you have to replace discs or something to adjust the valves? Have started reading up on that Rotax engine...Austrian? Wow, in an Italian scooter?
Some of those big Scarabeos are hefty looking scoots - and I did sit on one at my dealers. Amazing seat!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()