Author Topic: Trickle Charger  (Read 2407 times)

Carew

• View Profile
Trickle Charger
« on: November 24, 2012, 08:15:15 PM »
I was considering adding a trickle charger to help the battery during the winter.  The battery appears enclosed under the seat.  Any suggestions for making this easily accessible for frequent connecting?

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
Re: Trickle Charger
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 08:27:22 PM »
I put a SAE cord on mine and routed it out under the side of my Yager.
It's ty - wrapped so it won't flop around but east to get to.
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 09:34:51 PM »
I would suggest installing a 12 volt accessory plug. It's a one time shot. You can get a battery tender, and buy an adaptor that will plug right into the 12 volt plug. Then you also have the use of the plug for a GPS or other 12 volt accessory while you're riding.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable.

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

Carew

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 09:47:51 PM »
thank you both for the response.  mrmike, I have an accessory plug already located under the seat.  Are you suggesting that I can purchase a trickle charger that plugs directly into the accessory plug rather than one that needs to be connected directly to the battery cables?

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 12:26:16 AM »
The power plug that is under the seat on the GV250 is switched by the ignition switch.  
So it only connects to the battery when the ignition is on.... not what you want for charging your battery.

If you buy a name-brand battery maintainer (Sears Craftsman or Walmart has Schumacher brand for $20),
it will come with a short wire that connects to the battery posts and has a 2-wire connector on the other end.
That end connects to the mating connector on the wire from the battery maintainer.  So all you have to do
is to connect the short wire (pig tail) to the battery permanently and then route the other end to where you can get to it.

We leave the connector end under the seat and route the wire from the maintainer up by the rear shock into the
under-seat area when we want to charge the battery:  
Open the seat, reach down by the shock with 1 hand and up holding the wire with the other hand, pull up the wire,
connect the wires, plug in the maintainer, & close the seat.

I am sure that you could use a longer pig-tail and secure it outside of the under-seat box,
but it wasn't worth the effort to us since we ride most of the year.

Scoot safely,

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 02:33:33 PM by MaryK »
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 02:08:19 AM »
I use this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CITK8S/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000CITK8S&linkCode=as2&tag=kinderinfocom-20
This part stays on the battery and you can just plug up to outlet without having to open up battery cover.

2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

Rudolf

• Born to be wild!!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 11:27:19 AM »
You can also adapt a laptop charger or any adapter to charge your bike's battery. If it has an output of 12V DC @ 1.2-1.5 Amps it would do the job just fine. If your PC has a 12V DC at 1-2 Amps supply it can also work.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 02:40:47 PM »
Battery Maintainers differ from battery chargers in that they reduce the charging when the battery is fully charged and just "maintain" the battery until it needs more charging. A battery charger will actually overcharge the battery if it is left connected to the battery a long time.
So, the $20 cost of a Schumacher maintainer  at Wal Mart is worthwhile, especially since it comes with the pig tail wiring and connectors.

The maintainer also have lights to help "diagnose" the battery state: 
   Red= Bad battery or connected wrong
   Amber= charging
   Green=  fully charged

Plug it in and forget it until you are ready to ride.  Or as we do, we plug it in and unplug after the green "Ready" light comes on.

Scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

Rudolf

• Born to be wild!!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 02:44:33 PM »
Some AC/DC adapters and laptop chargers turn them selves automatically off when the battery is fully charged.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()