Author Topic: Good way to change transmission fluid  (Read 3716 times)

DaveABQ

• View Profile
Good way to change transmission fluid
« on: May 19, 2012, 09:33:32 PM »
The book calls for .2 qt or .18L, well .18L is 180ml (to be technical about it, .2 qt is 189ml).  The draining isn't a problem, remove the 10mm drain bolt, spin the rear wheel to get all the fluid out, put the bolt back in.  

The problem is filling, knowing how much 180ml is and getting it in that little hole.  This is what I use:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Big-Syringes-60cc-60ml-with-Caps-Dispense-Adhesives-Glue-Grease-Paste-Gel-Oil-/110846106763?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cef15c8b

The syringe is 60 ml, put your new fluid in to a cup (easier than sucking out of the bottle), draw 60ml in to the syringe, fits perfectly in the fill hole.  Do this 3 times, you have 180ml, and only takes a minute.

I also pull apart the syringe when i'm done and clean it, can be used for many times
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 09:48:44 PM by DaveABQ »

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Re: Good way to change transmission fluid
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 03:05:43 PM »
Great idea, Dave. I might give this a shot the next time it needs changing.

-Wolf

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 05:31:01 PM »
www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hopkins...Mix-Mizer-2...-/261006922613Cached
Holds 2 oz. comes with a flexable extension tube . This works great for transmission fills also .
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 05:35:31 PM by juice »

Wiz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 09:39:10 PM »
Seen some bad reviews for this on amazon.com
http://tinyurl.com/ce9y2c4
Apparently the plunger is a solid piece of plastic (no rubber tip on it) and the oil leaks past it.

The one in the OP or this one are cheaper and have a rubber tipped plunger.
http://tinyurl.com/cz5f6l9

They do not have the extension tube, but you could always get a piece of vinyl tubing from a hardware store for under $1.
Current Ride: Gold 2012 People GTI 300.

S/W

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 11:33:43 PM »
I use and old fashsioned oil can, sort of like this;
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-oz-flexible-spout-oil-can-1106.html

After draining the oil, put the drain plug back in, then pump the oil into the fill hole until it is coming back out. Let the oil flow back out the fill hole until it stops. The oil level is now correct. put the fill plug back in.

DaveABQ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 03:35:05 PM »
Wiz, yep those first ones I have seen at Walmart, they are junk.

The second one is like what i use, similar anyways, it has a rubber plunger/tip, no oil leaks around it.  They work great, and I clean it with soap and water after I'm done to make sure that the oil/fluid doesn't deteriorate the rubber or plastic.  And at $7.50 for two shipped, can't beat the price.  The best thing I like is that they are markings in ml, so you know you are putting in the right amount of fluid.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 03:04:44 PM »
All good ideas.  I have a very old stainless squirt oil can.  I drain the oil into the squirt can, mark the level, pour oil into the can to the marked level and squirt it into the gear box.  Just my way.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

CapnJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 02:35:03 PM »
I was using an old oil can and the first time I filled the trans I overfilled it. You DO NOT want to do that. All the excess oil gets sucked up into your air filter. Not a good thing. I like the syringe idea, I found these on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150813661501?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
2 wheels is 2 wheels, But China Ain't Taiwan.

S/W

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 02:49:06 PM »
It is important to wait until the excess oil stops coming out the fill hole before you put the plug back in. This is an almost universal way to aknowledge the proper fill level in reduction gears in cars, trucks, outboards, and almost any reduction gear system that doesn't have a dip stick.

DaveABQ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 03:05:02 AM »
It is important to wait until the excess oil stops coming out the fill hole before you put the plug back in. This is an almost universal way to aknowledge the proper fill level in reduction gears in cars, trucks, outboards, and almost any reduction gear system that doesn't have a dip stick.

Say what?  You do not fill the Yager transmission to the bottom of the fill hole.  it takes 180ml, thats it, far from being even close to the fill hole.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 06:41:49 AM by DaveABQ »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 10:05:30 PM »
What DaveABQ said! WHAT DAVE SAID!! I did that after reading on THIS FORUM all the schemes to get the right amount in and IT AIN'T TO THE BOTTOM OF THE FILL HOLE!! What you get is a LOT of gear oil out the weep hole at the inside rear of the gear box if you fill to bottom of the fill hole. Filling to the bottom of the fill hole is called OVERFILLING!! Mine has the correct amount of oil in it now and the weep hole is almost dried up. What ever method you use at least approximate the correct amount.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

DaveABQ

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 06:42:59 AM »
thanks for reiterating that CROSSBOLT, i'm sure overfilling can do some bad things, I wonder if PBAS might have that problem, although i think his service dept. said it was an oil seal?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 09:27:41 PM »
I thought about replacing the oil seals on mine, Dave and even got the dimensions from the parts list. I gave it a little longer and it started to dry up. I think overfilling WILL cause it to leak out past the seals but correcting the fill will stop it. Asian seals are usually pretty good and have been since the early days of Honda. However, they will leak if pressured.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 06:56:43 AM »
I use this for gear oil. Very cheap and effective.

Ronnath

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 10:47:49 AM »
I use this for gear oil. Very cheap and effective.

where did you find them?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()