Author Topic: What has been your warranty experience? ?  (Read 1216 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
What has been your warranty experience? ?
« on: July 14, 2017, 01:05:48 PM »
What parts have you had replaced under warranty?
Your scooter or 4 wheeler?
Symptoms leading to repair?
Any problems getting warranty work completed?
Was problem with dealer, or Kymco customer representative?
Did repair fix the problem, or has it returned?
Lesson you learned?

My LIKE200ILX 2012, left-over purchased new 2013:
#@4,500 miles massive engine stumbling at 30 mph.....TPS  quit.
#Dealer found no issue - Kymco cust. serv. rep. was emailed & phoned - he lit fire under dealer and new throttle body installed, free, but took months to resolve and use of member supplied Kymco diagnostic tool.
#12,000+ miles now, perfect scooter - self servicing only.
Lesson learned: "be polite & give dealer a chance - then make use of Kymco customer service representative if need be.
 My guy was amazing!"

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
Re: What has been your warranty experience? ?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 01:09:34 PM »
Battery problems after year one. Replaced it twice...second time with more powerful/stronger battery. No issues other than that and no problems with that.
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 04:47:39 PM »
4/9/16 Bought new

4/13/16, 140 miles, Clutch and or drive belt started slipping.

4/16/16, 188 miles, Bert's Mega Mall, Dropped off for repair, service advisor suggested that the bike was new and still breaking in, I didn't feel he took me seriously.

4/20/16, Service advisor said some excess assembly grease was causing the problem and that Kymco didn't want to replace any parts, just clean them as see if it happens again. Wasn't happy and didn't believe that was the cause just end result. I asked for the clutch to be replaced and they said no and didn't see how grease would have ended up on the clutch friction pads being inside the clutch bell (smaller diameter). I saw some hot spots and discoloration in the clutch pads.

4/21/16, Called Kymco USA, a woman answered and said I needed to talk with a representative,  she asked where I was calling from and transferred me to another number which went to voice mail for Chip Johnson, I left a message.

4/22/16, No response from Kymco USA, emailed them and received a response from Steven Oliver saying Chip was on vacation. Nice of the receptionist to transfer me to the voice mail of a rep on vacation eh. Steven was very professional.

4/23/16, Went to Bert's to have a look at it while it was apart, was cleaned up and light clutch pad sanding. It looked ok so I waited while they put it back together. Test rode it and was better but I could still feel slippage, not right. Talking with the service advisor he once again suggested it was new and still breaking in. Feeling I wasn't being taken seriously I decided to take the bike home.

5/5/16, 400 miles, dropped bike of at Malcolm Smith Motorsports for continued slipping on take off.

5/28/16, 400 miles picked up bike from Malcolm Smith Motorsports, clutch and bell were replaced and bike once again felt normal as when I had bought it. This is the part I thought should have been replaced but the regular rep Chip had come back from vacation and through likely bad information from the service guys at Bert's didn't want to replace it. Malcolm Smith made it happen.

6/27/17, 1,060 miles, came out for lunch and electronic adjustable shocks were set to firm (I keep them on soft) and would not adjust back.

6/30/16, came home and removed rear body, I found by unplugging the right rear shock the system would adjust, bad right rear shock (motor part of shock.

7/2/16, 1,140 miles, dropped off at Malcolm Smith for right rear shock replacement.

7/26/16, bike ready to be picked up, right rear shock replaced and bike works as normal.

?, 2,984 miles noticed oil seeping from the CVT cover ad the bottom near the rear wheel, opened CVT and found oil apparently leaking from the rear final drive past seals into case and CVT cooling fan blowing it around. I had noticed some slippage on take offs after extended freeway runs. This I'm sure has been my problem since 140 miles that Bert's didn't track down.

?, 2,984 miles Malcolm Smith replaced the seals and cleaned up inside the CVT. At 3,833 miles I pulled the CVT cover to find it was now dry inside so this has been finally repaired.

6/21/17, 5,322 miles bike stalled on me heading home, restarted. My first thought was I am staring to have a problem like another MyRoad owner in Escondido who's bike died and wouldn't restart for an hour. His scoot died on 5/13/17 and he had it towed into the dealer on 5/14/17 so wow its been almost two months!

6/27/17, 5,326 miles, noticed LED trunk light flickering randomly before i started the bike, bike died again, restarted. Later while riding on the freeway in the carpool lane bike died and I coasted to the side of the road, didn't want to restart and just cranked over. Finally got it restarted and rode it home on surface streets. The check engine light flashed 2-4-2-4.

7/12/17, 5,374 miles, emailing back and forth with the reps, I told them it needs a trunk light and likely a crank sensor, asked for VIN, said it was still under warranty (thought it was parts only at this point but thanks to Stig posting Kymco warranty information I dug out my owners pack). The rep suggested working on it myself might void my warranty. I replied back that my 30 years of experience included making wiring harnesses for concept cars such as the Plymouth Prowler concept among many others not only that but 2/3 of that time as a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep mechanic specializing in A/C, electrical, and driveability.

I removed the rear body panels. Tested power to the trunk light with a voltmeter, test light, and another 12 volt LED panel I had. All agree the voltage to the light is fine and the problem is with a failing LED in the light itself. If I start the bike on the center stand cold it will run for 8 minutes, the engine will stall, and it does not want to start for several minutes. When it won't start I confirmed that I have no spark (used a spare plug against the cylinder head cover). Once the bike cools a bit I get spark back and the bike will run. The check engine light will flash out 2-2-2-2. Based on my years of experience working on Jeeps I suspect the crank sensor. Looking through the factory service manual a code 02 is loss of crank signal. So one of the tricks I learned many years ago with the Jeeps was when a crank sensor was a problem and the engine died when hot pouring some cold water on it allowed the engine to restart right away. I tried this on the outside of the MyRoad but the sensor is in the side case almost all the way. I removed the crank sensor bolt and ran the bike until it died. I immediately pulled the crank sensor out, dunked it into a glass of cold water for 5 seconds, wiped it dry, and put it back in. Result the bike would restart immediately rather than having to wait several minutes suggesting to me that is the issue. Crank sensors can fail two ways on the Jeeps. The early ones were a two wire small AC voltage generating signal. These would heat cycle over years eventually leading to the wire inside breaking. So they would get hot and go open circuit until it cooled down again. The later type (like the one on the MyRoad) used a 3 wire powered sensor. When these type failed you could either loose the signal from it or it could short out the power feed from the engine controller (5 volt in Jeeps but it appears Kymco uses 12 volts) which would pull down power to all the other shared power sensors which could also result in being unable to communicate with the engine controller via a scan tool (often those who didn't know that would like the engine controller was bad but all you needed to do was unplug the bad crank sensor and then you can communicate via the scan tool). Since I earlier got a code 02 (no crank signal) and 04 (no power to sensors) I suspect the crank sensor is shortin out the sensor voltage from the ECU affects the others.

7/14/17, 5,385 miles, dropped bike off at Malcom Smith for trunk light and stalling.

7/17/17, Received a email this morning asking for the mileage on the scoot and that the rep would call Malcolm Smith Motorsports and check on it. Second email later that the bike is scheduled to be looked at tomorrow.

7/19/17, Went out to Malcom Smith today to talk to the tech and advisor. The tech pulled the same code 02 I did, the only issue seems to be his information says it's the cam sensor (same part as the crank just used in the rocker cover). I showed him my Kymco manual it's a crank sensor but it will work in either place if he finds out its the crank one. I guess he pulled the rocker cover to check the tone wheel also which was fine. I guess the rep is out of the office this week so I said go ahead and order the parts and if there is a problem with Kymco I'll cover it. That way I don't have to wait a week if the reps out.

On a side note it sounds as though Malcolm Smith might drop Kymco. It sounds like they might nit be taking care of the dealers.

More to come will edit as I have time
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:56:39 AM by MJR »
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 07:20:01 PM »
2012 Like 200i purchased new July 2012. Traded-in recently for a motorcycle after 5 years and 14,000+ miles. Warranty service was minimal and I was left with a good impression all around.

1. 2 OEM batteries replaced under warranty. The first battery went bad about the one year mark. The second battery the same day it was installed. The dealer then grabbed a Yausa and said they would deal with Kymco on the none OEM part replacement. Worked great for 4 years after that.

1. Seal in CVT leaked and replaced free under warranty during the second year of ownership. It was discovered by the shop when the belt and rollers were replaced at 6,000 miles.

All warranty services were seamless. I just called the dealer/shop and they did the rest. Easy peasy!

Sadly they dealer stop selling Kymcos to focus on BMW motorcycles (their main business) and Piaggo/Vespa.

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 07:32:33 PM »
Had a little wheel rub and vibration at about 200 miles (3 months after purchase). Found out I had a bad brake caliper. My dealer (Scooters of Boise) replaced the entire front brake assembly at no cost under warranty. Great people to work with, and complete support of their products!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 08:52:06 PM »
Glad you asked, Stig! We have had from Kymco an Agility 50, Yager 200i, Like 200i, People GTi300, two DT300i, and UXV 500i. The Yager was the first warranty issue where the dealer tech did not install the battery box cover/clamp upon setup. Took Kymco US to get them to respond. The second and final was the second DT where I learned the faltering idle was anstuck vent valve. The dealer got the part on warranty and let me, at my request, install it. Basically, I have had NO warranty issues to speak of. Certainly not the magnitude as you, MJR and others have had. The biggest problem seems to be dealers but I have beaten that to death. By the way, three of the seven machines developed stuck vacuum valves. Agility, Like, People and the side by side did not or have not had the problem. Symptoms were faulty or surging idle, occasional hard start when fully warmed during hot days. No dealer was consulted. Problem was solved by initializing at first then venting the cap. In the case of the DT the valve is so buried that no dealer would ever spend the time even if paid to replace the valve. And I would not blame them. My lesson learned is to perform a very detailed PDI (PRE DELIVERY INSPECTION) before you sign the paper to buy. You get to ride test only after you sign with most dealers. Even then you still have some leverage if it does not work properly.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
I bought a new GTI in 2013
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 01:20:30 PM »
It was the first one sold in our area. At about two months of ownership, I had an oil leak. It was an oil seal behind the variator. Took it in to the dealer and they replaced the seal and had it ready in two days. I was pleased with that. At 11,000 miles I decided to replace the drive belt and rollers. When the dealer fixed the oil seal, they over torqued the variator nut and I think used Red Loctite on it. I had a hell of a time getting it off. I tried everything. Finally had to cut it off with a dremel tool and cut off wheels.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 05:30:25 PM »
That is the horses a$$ thing that GETS me about dealers! You EXPECT them to do things correctly and they don't. They are like airplane mechanics thinking they know everything and they cannot even do the simple stuff right!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

scrollderf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 02:57:50 AM »
Three and a half seasons of use and 17000 km since I bought new and no need for warranty use. DT is a great machine. I have a GTI 300 at my winter home and it also is great. No record of having need for warranty service from the previous owner.Just found out that my local summer dealer will no longer sell Kymco, but will continue service and parts. They do too much rental business year round, so dropped a "loser". Last DT sold for $2800 new - big loss they said. Only other dealer I know of is 300 km away.
Formerly 03 AA500 now DT300

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 11:41:22 PM »
I nothing but bad experience with the warranty.Took me more then 6 months to get my bike back after a warranty fix.
They jump threw hoops just to get things done.I had to have my crank replaced because it went out before warranty miles.
they shipped the scoot to 3 dif shops. The last shop was a Yamaha dealer. So I had great parts put in it at that time. But was still
unhappy with the amount of time it took to get scoot back.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()