Author Topic: Ticking sound coming from the front cylinder?  (Read 961 times)

Hafro Samurai

• View Profile
Ticking sound coming from the front cylinder?
« on: July 10, 2013, 07:35:26 PM »
With all the nice weather now, I'm stuck driving my car.....meh.

With my 2005 Venox idling, there is a loud ticking sounds coming from I believe the front cylinder. It seems like something is moving around in there as I can feel the vibrations when it ticks and can even be felt with my hands on the grips. I just changed the oil and filter with fully synthetic oil and even put some Seafoam in there and it didn't help. I have very limited knowledge of motorcycles and don't know what it could possibly be. If I had the money I would just take it into a shop, but alas, I do not.

Any help with this problem would be MUCH appreciated....thanks!

-Hafro Samurai
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 07:38:24 PM by Hafro Samurai »

max oradea

• View Profile
Re: Ticking sound coming from the front cylinder?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 11:06:38 PM »
Are you losing power or any other symptoms other then the noise? what grade oil did you put in? ?w??.
was the bike A ok before the oil change and the new filter?
Do you mean that you put SeaFoam product in the oil or in the gas?
is the ticking sound only in idle or it is present through out the rev range?
Do you notice any changes in bike performance and start up routines?
Let us know more info of whats happened and what has changed to get a better understanding to of what might be wrong.
we can not get seafoam here in europe i think... so i dont know much about its application. but from what i just read, it is ok to add it in oil.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 11:10:00 PM by max oradea »

Hafro Samurai

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 03:21:41 AM »
Thanks for the timely reply Max!

I don't seem to be losing any power or any other symptoms as far as I can tell.
10W-40 for the oil.
The ticking actually started before I changed the oil and changed the oil after about 3,000Km.
It's present throughout the rev range.
No noticeable changes in the start-up routine.

When it started I actually thought it might be coming from the spark plug on the rear cylinder. I replaced the spark plug and boot because it wasn't snapping down on the plug. The ticking became louder over some fairly short rides to and from school and noticed that I could feel it in the front cylinder. I then changed the oil and filter, rode it maybe a quarter mile before turning around, and haven't ridden it since in fear of damaging anything else.

The bike has 11,514Km on it.

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 02:10:30 PM »
when was your last valve adjustment?
its possible that is came from there but its good that you noticed the ticking noise because it can be something big that can go wrong in time.
when a noise is present through out the rev range its worth to take a closer listen to it.
so what you are saying is this noise began before any changes of parts or fluid was done to the bike, and it came suddenly. then after changing the spark plug cap and spark plug it got worse.
check you have the right plugs, and they are tightened down correctly check that the plug cap does fit snug to the plug and that its connected well to the coils.
Or take a video and post a link on You tube.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()