Author Topic: new tire fiasco  (Read 364 times)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
new tire fiasco
« on: April 08, 2024, 01:05:10 AM »
the last major thing I needed for my 84 Nighthawk was new tires. I ordered them online and took them, along with my wheels, to my local motorcycle shop for installation. I also asked for new wheel bearings as the old ones were a little notchy.

During the wheel removal process..I had bike on center stand and wood blocking under motor...removed front wheel with no problem...removed rear wheel and I must have bumped it just enough to start it rolling forward. With the massive front weigh bias the bike did the unthinkable...and rolled off the center stand, off the wood and onto the floor. It was staying fairly upright but I wedged some 2x4 wood under the exhaust to keep it from tipping. I then put some tires around it to keep it from falling. This thing weighs 400+ pounds, without wheels. My first thought was 'holy sh*t..how am I ever going to get this back up?

Fast forward 2 weeks and I have my wheels back from the dealer with the new tires installed. A nice chunk of aluminum was missing from my front wheel and my rear wheel hub had a nice ding in it (likely from the wheel bearing removal/install??).. The damage was clearly not there prior to the wheel install but I have no proof..it's a 40 year old bike...it still sucks, though. Makes me rethink learning how to do my own tires.

Yesterday I had 2 buddies come over to help me lift the bike back on the center stand. The 3 of us didn't even budge it! I called a 4th guy and we lifted it right up and onto the center stand, easily, on the first try. I got the wood blocking back under and then got the front wheel on, which is the key to keeping it upright.

Installed my wheels today, new petcock, and put it all back together. Can't wait to ride it with the new rubber on. Total cost of new tires, wheel bearings and installation was...gulp.. about $775. Still a little bitter about the wheel damage...but unfortunately it is almost to be expected. Oh, well, ready to ride!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 01:14:34 AM by Iahawk »
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: new tire fiasco
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2024, 02:52:28 AM »
Major bummer on the wheel damage. I used to take my wheels in to the dealer to have them swap the rubber on my Hondas and Suzuki bikes. I even took the front wheel of my AK to the Suzuki dealer to swap the rubber the first time and they did without issues. But I decided to start doing it myself to save some gas money. Not really so hard... other than the effort to get the new tire over the rim. Just get a good set of rim protectors and at least 3 tire spoons, or maybe 4 of them. I can see how easy it would be to damage the rims. I even have a slight scratch on my rear rim from a slipped rim protector but no real damage other than the paint/finish. I used balance beads when I did my own rear tire swap and it did work out nicely (other than that scratch). I have the balance beads for the front tire for when I swap that one next month.

I won't really NEED to swap the tire before my trip to N Tennessee but the front tire won't make it the entire trip so I'll swap it 1000 miles early for my 1300+ mile trip. I don't want to cut it that close for tire wear... especially pulling a little trailer. I'll likely be swapping the rear tire rubber in the next few months.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2024, 03:30:07 AM »
it seems that changing your own tires is a valuable skill to acquire as a bike owner!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2024, 12:26:29 AM »
Oh, that wheel damage is just rotten! I still fume about a local Honda shop kept a farmer friend's 4-wheeler for over a MONTH for a radiator fan problem. Changed the spark plug, charged him over a hundred bucks and the fan still did not work!

I have ranted on this forum loud and long about AMERICAN repair shops and mechanics (Ruffus and others here are NOT included since Euro and Asian techs are way ahead!) have the swagger and nothing else. Not all but it seems most.

Do yer own work as much as possible. Tires and brakes on most anything suck. Just gather your skirts and tough it out. You will know then who and how the dents and scratches got there. Then you won't hate some poor, witless mouth breather for being a clod.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2024, 04:12:35 PM »
That's a bummer Hawk!
Dealer tire changer scratched my Liberty's pretty black painted rim when I took it in for a rear tire swap.
I tipped the kid $5 before inspecting at home.
Installed that rear wheel - lotta fun! - only to discover when I checked the PSI, that the kid had destroyed the new valve stem when he pulled it in!

I'm not taking that wheel off again! Discovered tire valves which can be installed from outside the rim. Not expensive - hasn't leaked in yrs.

Front tire time for the Liberty - drove 35 miles to a Level 5 Honda® Powerhouse dealership. They did a quick pro job while I looked at a big room full of pretty Hondas! They had no issues doing a Piaggio wheel.
IF I ever buy another scoot or bike - it will be from those guys,

My problematic local dealer, where I bought the LIKE200i, did a good job at 440 miles when I had the Kenda Skids 400 swapped for a set of Michelin City Grips, years ago. So - it's a coin toss....service from them.

Dang.
Did almost drop my LIKE one day. Side stand wasn't properly set, it fell on my hip.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2024, 08:43:05 PM »
$$ 775,- is a proud bill for two times tires (brought ) bearings and additional demage.
Looks like the rim slipped off support/catch of this tire machine and caused the demage, sorry!

As CROSSBOLT says, here in Italia not likely to happen because I watch them, and they take it at the brake disc.
If drum brake, an inverted holder is applied.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 08:45:25 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2024, 12:56:50 PM »
the last major thing I needed for my 84 Nighthawk was new tires. I ordered them online and took them, along with my wheels, to my local motorcycle shop for installation. I also asked for new wheel bearings as the old ones were a little notchy.

During the wheel removal process..I had bike on center stand and wood blocking under motor...removed front wheel with no problem...removed rear wheel and I must have bumped it just enough to start it rolling forward. With the massive front weigh bias the bike did the unthinkable...and rolled off the center stand, off the wood and onto the floor. It was staying fairly upright but I wedged some 2x4 wood under the exhaust to keep it from tipping. I then put some tires around it to keep it from falling. This thing weighs 400+ pounds, without wheels. My first thought was 'holy sh*t..how am I ever going to get this back up?

Fast forward 2 weeks and I have my wheels back from the dealer with the new tires installed. A nice chunk of aluminum was missing from my front wheel and my rear wheel hub had a nice ding in it (likely from the wheel bearing removal/install??).. The damage was clearly not there prior to the wheel install but I have no proof..it's a 40 year old bike...it still sucks, though. Makes me rethink learning how to do my own tires.

Yesterday I had 2 buddies come over to help me lift the bike back on the center stand. The 3 of us didn't even budge it! I called a 4th guy and we lifted it right up and onto the center stand, easily, on the first try. I got the wood blocking back under and then got the front wheel on, which is the key to keeping it upright.

Installed my wheels today, new petcock, and put it all back together. Can't wait to ride it with the new rubber on. Total cost of new tires, wheel bearings and installation was...gulp.. about $775. Still a little bitter about the wheel damage...but unfortunately it is almost to be expected. Oh, well, ready to ride!

Similar situation happened to me. I was in the parking lot at work and hit a small pot hole. The front wheel turned and I had to lay the scooter on its side. I was riding a '21 X-Town 300i, and it was way too heavy for me to pick up. I just traded it in for a new lighter People S 150i ABS.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics.         

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2024, 04:23:39 PM »
The crazy thing was trying to lift the bike when it was sitting on the floor. It reminded me of a car sitting on the ground after the wheels have been stolen. I would have rather lifted it off the side than how it was sitting..but it’s all back together and the new tires feel great.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2024, 10:50:07 PM »
The crazy thing was trying to lift the bike when it was sitting on the floor. It reminded me of a car sitting on the ground after the wheels have been stolen. I would have rather lifted it off the side than how it was sitting..but it’s all back together and the new tires feel great.
I never remove both wheels at the same time.
Two trips to the dealer for a tire swap....less scary!

Stig
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 11:31:59 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

wymple

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2024, 04:29:53 AM »
I just put 2 new skins on the grandson's Honda rebel.  I used the zip tie method on the front tire. It's surprising how easy that is. The rear tire is a 15 incjer, very stiff, & it wasn't having it. I had to fight it the old fashioned way & it was a PITA to say the least. I don't like doing tires.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2024, 06:27:25 PM »
I always just bring my bike to the dealer.  If I were to do my own tires, I have several friends that have tire machines, My local dealer even installed a car tire for me on my V-Strom when I went darkside. I did go to a friend once with a set of atv wheels, and used his machine.

Working on my toys is not the way I want to bond with them.

RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2024, 12:04:20 PM »

Working on my toys is not the way I want to bond with them.

Tend to agree Randy.  Oils & Filters one thing, busting an engine or transmission apart?  Quite another!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2024, 02:34:33 PM »
Tend to agree Randy.  Oils & Filters one thing, busting an engine or transmission apart?  Quite another!

Lately I've been taking a nap next to them on the garage floor - roll of paper towels for a pillow - watching the gear oil drain.
We feel closer.
It's nice.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()