Scooters - Big Bore > Xciting 500

Cold start problem and other issues.

(1/5) > >>

PiotrKymco:
Hello everone. Its been a longtime and many scooters in my life before I do come back to Kymco, now Kymko Xciting 500i R ABS 2014. I bought it not working with crankin engine that wont start. I pull up a cam chain cover and see badly worn ex cam chain. Have change it for originalKymco. So one problem solved. Engine fired up with some problems about which a bit later.
I had a issue with ABS that start flashing when accelrate (weird feeling) but browsing the forumI did found the problem: rectifier. Idling was 13,5v but when accelrate rise up to 17v!! Order new rectifier, waiting to replace. But coming back to other issue: very bad starting issue. It is about 5-10 celcius. When I press start button (new battery installed) it firmly cranks and fire up like want to start but than dies.This procedure has to be repeated for few seconds like 6 times. Than when starts idling and warms up a bit, all come back to normal. THis is annoying. Before I do start  randomly looking for problem I ask you friends to share with me your opinion.
Piotr

Forgot few informations: ignition coil was faulty, is new now. Still have faulty codes : 33, 37 and 49 injestor was cleaned, just in case but that codes still exists.

Ruffus:
@PiotrKymco welcome here!
Your mentioned present problems are well known by suffering XC 500i owners....
If you go back a couple of years in this 500 tread you will find, all this stuff already seen and partially solved.
Starting issues at low temps, after changing camshaft, mostly caused by weak battery.
Maybe have a look at link beneath.

https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=33615.0

PiotrKymco:
Thanks Ruffus.
Charging system and rectifier i handle already. The main problem I have is cold engine start up. It firmly cranks and fire up like want to start but when release start button ...stops. And that is like, as I mention, about 6 times. When warm starts up usually ok. Maybe some chocke problem? But do not know where to start looking for.

Ruffus:
Hmmmh, only way to test this:
- METIN box out
- jump cables from a real good batte6ry or car
- starts now, your battery (even a new one) is done

This 500i really needs a FULL FULL battery (big 20amps)
Changed mine to lithium bat, no probs at 3-5° C to start.
-oil should be a 5W-40 full synthetic
-valve adjustment has to be very accurate

Automatic choke is not easy to adjust without KYMCO diagnostic tool.
Do NOT mess around with airflow system!

Note: KYMCO Europe was aware of this starting prob from beginning at this 500i motors, and:
-changed / updated ECU for free
-changed camshaft for free
-changed starter motor for free
-changed battery to UVX 500 batt for free
all this measures didn't help at all.
Only cure was/is, keep your bat on a tricklecharger every night or put a lithium bat with minimum 20 amps. Thin synt oil helps too.

darkshvein:

--- Quote from: Ruffus on December 21, 2023, 02:35:17 PM ---This 500i really needs a FULL FULL battery (big 20amps)

--- End quote ---
yes, I confirm this "bug".
to Topicstarter:
Please read my thread below.
Try replace accu. Check start after 2-3 days battery in warm place. 99% cause that battery.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version