Author Topic: Spare Kymco Key  (Read 6745 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Spare Kymco Key
« on: May 28, 2016, 12:43:52 AM »
When climbing back on my LIKE200i while out riding last week I stepped on my keys . Fortunately I only broke the key away from the key ring - and did not bend or break the key.
I purchased a 3rd key last week and will get it cut & carry this spare with me in my top pocket of my armored jacket. I already do this with the Burgman.

eBay item number:
$12 - make certain you stipulate left or right slotted key.
There are cheaper blanks, but I wanted the modest safety of the plastic covered end on the portion that your knee will find in an 'off'.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

blue

• View Profile
Re: Spare Kymco Key
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 02:00:02 AM »
My dealer gives away free blank keys .If needed .just have to go get it cut...........

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 10:30:41 AM »
I always get a third key for all of my bikes.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 12:57:51 PM »
Not a bad idea, guys! We all gotta get to know your dealer, Blue!

Hey, Klav! We'll be passing your area this coming Tuesday on our way to Maggie Valley, NC on US 72! I'll be on a white DT300i and she'll be on her all black GTi300 with the extra whells pullin' a trailer. If it ain't rainin' real bad......

Karl

PS: NOPE, we won't. We'll be further south on 278 so disregard.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 10:28:17 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 07:37:28 PM »
Funny you should mention this. Yesterday afternoon I locked my keys up in under seat storage compartment. Thankfully, I had my Phillips screwdriver in the top case which was unlocked. So I had the pleasure of removing the front off of my Xciting in the Pilot parking lot in order to access the release cables for the seat. Put a damper on my first ride since replacing my Stator . I always feared doing that. Well, now I know that the extra key does no good when it's 25 miles away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 08:45:42 PM »
Smart folks don't break their keys, hence no need for a 3rd, 4th or 5th key. Capiche paisano?.................better go make sure my spare is where I think it is.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 10:20:19 PM »
Funny you should mention this. Yesterday afternoon I locked my keys up in under seat storage compartment. Thankfully, I had my Phillips screwdriver in the top case which was unlocked. So I had the pleasure of removing the front off of my Xciting in the Pilot parking lot in order to access the release cables for the seat. Put a damper on my first ride since replacing my Stator . I always feared doing that. Well, now I know that the extra key does no good when it's 25 miles away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep.....35 miles away is no help....and embarrassing when they're watching from the coffee shop.
Last winter I lost my Burgman keys at my coffee village when getting ready to leave.
Not in the pocket of my Slider jeans.....then I thought .....reached down and unzipped the bottom of my wind-proof over-pants (34 degree Fahrenheit day) and keys dropped out! I'd missed the jeans pocket when I let go of them.
As I climbed on the scoot I told myself to get a 3rd key ....and carry it in the ICON jacket top pocket with the spare ear plugs.. Have spares with the magnets set to open the magnetic key cover.
Years ago I tried to ford a river in Dayton after locking my keys in my Subaru.....only 2 miles as the crow flies from  home - but river in the way. Problem being, this requires fording the river twice and driving home naked or in soaked clothes.
I called a cab.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 10:55:16 PM »
Plenty of places to duct tape a spare key on a scoot or m/c. Frame, under plastics etc.........

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 11:30:25 PM »
I have spare keys to everything I own......sheeeeeee  Don't tell the wife I have spare s to everything she owns too.......

colorfulbliss

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 12:10:54 AM »
I just picked up a 2012 People GTi300 and it only came with one key. I called to order a key blank...total price with shipping: 75 bucks. Wasn't happy about it, but didn't have a choice. I have no idea how you would open that security shutter without the proper key.

Also, new member, first post, first Kymco. I will post a proper intro and first impressions in the People forum soon!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 01:20:49 AM »
I just picked up a 2012 People GTi300 and it only came with one key. I called to order a key blank...total price with shipping: 75 bucks. Wasn't happy about it, but didn't have a choice. I have no idea how you would open that security shutter without the proper key.

Also, new member, first post, first Kymco. I will post a proper intro and first impressions in the People forum soon!

The Suzuki Burgman 400 requires the very special key with magnets in coded area to open the key shutter - but these keys can be found from HongKong for just a couple of $. They come with the magnets to be installed matching your key....easily done by owner ...then key is cut by a good locksmith. I made 4 of them!
Perhaps your scooter has these available as well, apart from OEM parts houses?
Suzuki parts people get really weird about these replacement keys - but HongKong comes to the rescue of owners.
$75 key is crazy.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

colorfulbliss

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 01:35:08 AM »
I'm usually pretty good at searching out a deal, but I came up blank. It took quite a bit of time just to figure out which key my People took. There is right and left cut, plus 2 different magnet heads. In any case, the 75 bucks is still cheaper than calling the locksmith and still having to purchase a new key after he does his work.

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 02:58:21 AM »
Just go to your local locksmith - with the scooter - and have them find a blank for it. Most scooters use the same blanks as some of the standard Honda, Yamaha, or Kawasaki motorcycles. It will only take about 10 minutes at most to find the right blank, and when cut, will run you between $3 - $5 each. I have worked part time with a lock shop here in town, and all the Kymco, Buddy and SYM scooter blanks were pretty easy to chase down. Now those fancy Burgman keys, well, you gotta go to the dealer and let them fleece you.

2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 10:07:36 AM »
Smart folks don't break their keys, hence no need for a 3rd, 4th or 5th key. Capiche paisano?.................better go make sure my spare is where I think it is.

Ahh, leave the key in the side of the Super 8 and brush against it with your leg while putting it up on the stand. Thats how my key broke.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 10:36:36 AM »
I'm usually pretty good at searching out a deal, but I came up blank. It took quite a bit of time just to figure out which key my People took. There is right and left cut, plus 2 different magnet heads. In any case, the 75 bucks is still cheaper than calling the locksmith and still having to purchase a new key after he does his work.

Yes well if magnet head is not in the aftermarket for your scooter. .....and I could understand that it might not be.....then you're truly stuck with a $75 key.
Burgman owners say a locksmith can squat next to scooter and make a key in short order....BUT  key will not have magnet head....so if that shutter ever gets closed you're truly sunk.
Better to get correct key!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()