Author Topic: Problem with People 250  (Read 1717 times)

ruthnjohn

• View Profile
Problem with People 250
« on: June 19, 2014, 04:12:38 PM »
I have a 2009  People 250, 6800 miles on it.  Took it to my local motorcycle shop for a rear tire.  They installed the tire, same size that was on it,  but now the rear end of the scooter bounces up and down.  They have tried three tires, checked axle and wheel, say they are stumped, can't find out the problem.  They put it on the stand, revved the motor, and you can see it bouncing.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks a lot for your help.

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with People 250
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 04:38:59 PM »
If it does it with several different tires, and they're balanced correctly, my first guesses would be either a bent rim or bent axle.
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

ruthnjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 04:46:36 PM »
Thanks, that's exactly what I said, bent rim or axle.  Mechanic swears they have checked and double checked, and they're ok.   Or, maybe he doesn't want to admit they screwed up?

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 05:03:28 PM »
Or, maybe he doesn't want to admit they screwed up?

That's not unheard of to me. I had one of those situations with my dealer a while back. Turns out the mechanic was fresh out of MMI, and didn't have hardly any real world experience yet.    He no longer works for them, after screwing up a couple of customers rides.
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 02:30:53 AM »
You can make a easy rig to hold a pencil or nail or pointy whatever. With the bike on the center stand put the point in the center divot of the axle, and spin the tire by hand. You will know instantly if the axle is bent.

My guess is it is a cheap tire like a Shinko or a Kenda or whatever 25 dollar tire they sell, and it is the tires that are out of round. You really cant bend these rims. They are cast and will usually break before bending
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 04:22:25 AM »
  had the same problem  I checked and the dealer did not seat it on the rim with enough air preasure,. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 12:49:11 AM »
Didn't even think of that. I've done it myself.

Take a CLOSE look around the bead... There is a "seat" line that will follow the rim exactly if it is seated correctly.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ruthnjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 05:05:26 PM »
Thanks all.  Told him what zombie said, about the pencil, nail, whatever.  Soon after, got a call saying it was fixed.  I asked what the problem was, and he said he adjusted something, not sure what it was.  I was thinking about buying a larger scooter, or maybe an older trike, but couldn't sell this one with the vibrations, so this frees me up.  Now, to convince my wife I need a bigger one.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions.  I think those responses were on the money.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 06:00:06 AM »
Happy days for you!

Trust me. Wifey will love your having a bigger one. I wouldn't even mention it. Wait till you get it home, and surprise the heck out of her when you pull it out (of the garage)

ruthnjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 10:18:19 PM »
Thanks again, Zombie.  Got my eye on a couple of real nice Honda Gold Wing trikes....gonna travel in style!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 03:44:34 AM »
They make some beautiful kits for GW's now. My youngest brother had one I loved to hang out at the beach on. It was better than my chair at home.

Good luck... Post up a Pict. of what you get. Please... ;D

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()