Author Topic: Universal holder E17?  (Read 1969 times)

kfc.android

• View Profile
Universal holder E17?
« on: June 12, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
Hey all, I am planning to replace my belt maybe in two weeks so I think it's a good idea to study the service manual first.
As I'm reading the Ch. 8, I noticed that something called "Universal holder E17" was used to hold the pulley face plate
http://m.chaparral-racing.com/Product/bikemaster-slot-style-flywheel-and-clutch-universal-holder/315-1855.aspx

Is that tool a must/necessary to have if I want to do that?
As I am just a tree-shade level mechanic, how difficult it could be to replace the belt if I don't have impact wrench?

DT300i
Thanks in advance!

kfc.android

• View Profile
Re: Universal holder E17?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 09:20:24 PM »
Here's the screen shot of the manual

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 04:06:36 AM »
I have not done mine but the "Universal holder" tool from what I understand is a must. The nuts are torqued on tight enough that you just can't hold the varistor and untighten it with a wrench. Same with getting it screwed back on. You'll need the tool so it holds it and you can torque it to specifications. I still need to buy one but look at what it would cost to pay a dealer to do it. Better to have the right tool for the right job. I've seen some posts on here that say you can get them on ebay.
Wayne

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 01:07:08 AM »
To purchase.... http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Multi-use-Scooter-Variator-Clutch-remove-holder-Tool-for-Yamaha-Honda-Chinese-Scooter-Motorcycle-Repair-Tools/1428985767.html

To make your own....

Some guys stuff rope in the spark plug hole, turn the engine until the piston jams against the rope....  :( :o

Use the correct tool and you will not damage your engine.
Sometimes the cvt/clutch holder tool can be found on ebay or amazon. About $20 shipping included in the price.
If ordering OEM Kymco parts for this...some folks say to replace the cvt nut and the clutch nuts....cost about $1.25 ea. Torque the new nuts down properly - >> cheap insurance to keep all that important stuff in there secure!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

scootpower

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 02:20:04 PM »
If an impact wrench is used no holder is needed. I have taken off plenty of variators and clutches in the last 10 years with an impacy wrench never using a holder.

kfc.android

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 04:45:14 PM »
Thanks guys for your feedback, I will get a electric impact wrench and try it out first.
My garage doesn't have a wall plug so I will have to get the one with cigarette lighter head to attached to my car. Since I am not going to do something professional (just to replace my belt, and maybe surface the clutch and inside of the clutch outer) I hope the basic elec. wrench will provide me enough power to do that.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()