Author Topic: Water pump AK550  (Read 185 times)

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
Water pump AK550
« on: March 17, 2024, 11:19:49 PM »
Any of you guys with an AK550 have a water pump issue? I just brought my bike in for yearly maintenance and the mechanic told me that i had a water pump leak. Seems strange for a bike with only 5000 miles after 2 years of riding...also my damn battery started going dead, which had a bad cell. I had it on a battery tender when I wasn't riding the bike. Too much darn tech on these bikes...

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Water pump AK550
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2024, 09:41:02 AM »
“ Too much darn tech on these bikes... ”

That seems to be the way all manufacturers are going sadly. Call me a Luddite, but I preferred bikes that you could easily work on when they went wrong. When these hi-tech machines work they’re excellent; but when they go wrong they’re a nightmare.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 01:46:08 PM »
@leomagnus,
to say it short and cort, yes, this is possible at any scooter with an extern waterpump.

Check at this telltale hole under your pump whether it's really leaking coolant or just water condensate.
Clean paper under it overnight and you will see a coloration either greenish or reddish.
There is a repair set available with all parts neccessary, inexpensive, around €40,- + one hour work appr.
Batteries die, especially Bb ones, better to change to LiFePo4.
EDIT:
The way I do this coolant pump repair...
-LAY the scoot gently completely on its left side down, putting an old foam mattress and some cardboard boxes underneath to aboid bumps and scratches
-sit on a low chair aside the scoot
-don't let the owner watch me
-avoid spilling/change of fluids (oil/ coolant) and saves the owner costs for this and me the trouble to get all the air out of the system and causing overheat problems
-job is done in about thirty minutes.

Pls see link too..
https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=33849.0
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 09:10:29 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2024, 03:09:26 PM »
I hope your mechanic doesn't mistake a true water pump leak with a few drops of coolant under the water pump every once in a while. There are 2 seals between the water pump and the alternator and there is a weep hole under the water pump between the seals. This is to prevent any seepage past the first seal from getting into the alternator which is dry. Any seepage should exit through the weep hole. THIS IS TOTALLY NORMAL and that is the design of the 2 seals and a weep hole between them. If there is a leak it will show as a constant or regular drip under the weep hole or even seeping around the water pump housing or the plumbing going into/out of the water pump. If it is a drop under the bike and then nothing for a while (weeks, months, etc), then maybe another drop some time later and then nothing for a while, then I don't think the water pump is "leaking" but maybe the seal is not as tight against the water pump shaft as it *could* be.

I had a quarter sized drop under my AK after a long ride and then being parked overnight. This happened in the fall of 2022 (I think). It happened again in the late spring of 2023... a quarter sized drop of coolant. It hasn't happened again since. The first time was with just over 7000 miles on my AK, the second time was with over 8000 miles. Now I have over 12600 miles and no more drips since those 2 times. In my case, this was totally nothing to be concerned about. More likely part of the final stages of break-in. I was surprised I didn't see anything earlier but with nothing since I'm totally not concerned.

There was a report I read from someone who had a few drips like that and did have their shop replace the seals. If it is still under warranty then you should be able to have that done under warranty.

As to the battery...
Not really surprised. I've always known that the factory supplied battery in any bike I've owned from new is not nearly as reliable and any aftermarket battery... even if the same brand and model number! Just like the printer ink in a new Deskjet printer lasts a fraction as long as any you would buy to replace it. I've also known brand new high quality batteries to be found to have a dead cell or two right off the shelf, or soon after being put into service. Not common, but it does happen. Batteries are fickle things in that way.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 03:14:05 PM by rjs987 »
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2024, 07:52:22 PM »
Thanks for the insights. The water pump issue is still under warranty by 1 month....lol. I will double check with him about the seals. I did have a half-dollar sized leak on the floor when I got the bike, but it only lasted for a day. After that, I saw no more leaks.
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()