Author Topic: NSR - Dogs on tour  (Read 711 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
NSR - Dogs on tour
« on: August 10, 2022, 09:52:17 AM »
Bad news - no scooter this week. Good news- dogs (and us) get a dip in the sea!  We live about 150 miles from the coast and they always get so excited when they know we’re heading here*.

* Hornsea, in the East Riding of Yorkshire
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 09:53:58 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: NSR - Dogs on tour
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 12:23:35 PM »
Great photo Neil.
Gorgeous day!
Water temp is what?
I saw a British murder miniseries which had scenes of mobile homes (as on the bluff in your pic) near the ocean. Have seen the same in Florida, but homes are packed close together znd each has some landscaping.
Took pup out in the mist before sunrise. Miserably humid and muggy even at that hour.

Lived near the Atlantic for 6 yrs as a kid in Florida. Mom hauled us to the beach very early most days through the summer. Our dogs would freak when we were within 3 or 4 miles of the ocean...by smell. We had Weimaraners. Both of which were obviously so much smarter than us 3 boys...according to my father.

More pics if you get the chance@

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 08:02:42 PM »
Yep if you go about 100m in from the bluff (cliff) that’s where our mobile home is sited! “Our” beach is about 5 miles long!

Photos aren’t the problem, resizing them to <1Mb for the forum, now that’s a b*llsache!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 09:02:42 PM »
I enlarged your photo.  I see some shops down the way. Can a man get a coffee and a donut and watch a sunrise, or sunset there? Don't know if you're looking at France, or Brooklyn ...from that coast?
I understand that some have issues with photos here.
Never quite understood why...but I  did lose all on forums one time when my host site went dark some yrs ago.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 10:37:52 PM »
Yes, plenty of coffee shops, but better yet, Sullivan’s fish n chip shop famed around here! On the front, if you could see far enough, you’d be looking at the coasts of Belgium, Netherlands, Germany or even Denmark.

Today we visited Mr Moo’s ice cream farm. The doggies enjoy that. After eating cones there we felt compelled to buy 2 x takeaway tubs of ice cream, apple crumble and blackberry blast. They’ll travel home with us.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 11:06:16 PM »
Yes, plenty of coffee shops, but better yet, Sullivan’s fish n chip shop famed around here! On the front, if you could see far enough, you’d be looking at the coasts of Belgium, Netherlands, Germany or even Denmark.

Today we visited Mr Moo’s ice cream farm. The doggies enjoy that. After eating cones there we felt compelled to buy 2 x takeaway tubs of ice cream, apple crumble and blackberry blast. They’ll travel home with us.
Are there oil platforms out there in the sea?
If so, under what flag?
Long John Silver's are our deep-fried fish franchises.
Haven't been to one in years.
Been tearing up taco stands lately here....or veggie people shops.
That ol felon in Yellow Springs has gone legit...and builds great tacos in a storefront now.,(imprisoned for no green card...until YS protested and paid his bail and legal fees) that's how good Miguel's cooking is🙃
Keep the pups out of the ice cream on the drive back

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2022, 01:41:17 AM »
Bad news - no scooter this week. Good news- dogs (and us) get a dip in the sea!  We live about 150 miles from the coast and they always get so excited when they know we’re heading here*.

* Hornsea, in the East Riding of Yorkshire

Isn’t the Atlantic quite a bit closer to where you live? Or is getting away from town part of the lure for the ride east? I live a few miles from a lake and rarely go near it and haven’t swam in it since I was a kid. Just Monday they issued a new warning to be careful because after the last storm sewage was discharged into the lake. Fortunately, they pull the drinking water from much further out where the water is great.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2022, 06:59:25 AM »
Are there oil platforms out there in the sea?
If so, under what flag?

Stig

Yes.  It’s the North Sea so plenty, but a couple of hundred miles north of where we are.  From memory equal split British & Norwegian. What we can see from the beach is a pretty impressive off-shore wind farm. At night the turbines all sport a pretty red light. Presumably to warn shipping of their presence?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 07:05:53 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2022, 07:04:23 AM »
Isn’t the Atlantic quite a bit closer to where you live? Or is getting away from town part of the lure for the ride east? I live a few miles from a lake and rarely go near it and haven’t swam in it since I was a kid. Just Monday they issued a new warning to be careful because after the last storm sewage was discharged into the lake. Fortunately, they pull the drinking water from much further out where the water is great.

Yes.  As the crow flies, the Welsh coast is our nearest and for years where we used to head, in fact still is - if I’m on two wheels. Since Covid however, we bought a caravan located in Yorkshire and found we loved the place. So much so, this Spring we sold the tourer and upgraded to a fixed 35’ x 12’ mobile holiday home.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 07:07:08 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2022, 02:43:40 PM »
Temperatures mid 20s all day then in the evening the sea mist roiled in!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2022, 02:45:51 PM »
Not just dogs, Grandson joined is for the weekend.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2022, 07:17:31 AM »
Long story, but I needed to go home to collect some stuff so on a whim we could extend our stay by another week. Worked out a return by train far cheaper than taking gas guzzling Landy and return by X-Town even cheaper still. Winner!

So yesterday morning with scooter all loaded up I set off on my trip having worked up a route avoiding motorways and which also minimised the number of cities to be negotiated. Bearing in mind it takes us a minimum of 3 hours to make this trip by motorway, I was pleased when my A road route was despatched in just over 4 hours saddle time. Saw some new bits of the countryside and was able to note first hand just how badly the (official) drought is affecting us.

Kymco ran well and on some long straights I can now confirm she’ll cruise comfortably at an indicated 80 mph!  Much preferred the 50 mph twisty bits though.  On reaching my destination yes, I had a numb backside, but this quickly passed and the scooter was surprisingly comfortable for a non-stop 4 hour ride, as was my HJC helmet.

In all, 155 miles covered from home in Cheshire to Hornsea on the East Yorkshire coastline.  Looking forward to the return leg in a few days and hooning around the local twisties!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 07:19:34 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2022, 01:44:16 PM »
On the basis no photos, it didn’t happen, here’s a couple from todays trip out. Loving the roads around here. Even at 40-50 mph you can have a blast of a time.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2022, 02:29:06 PM »
On the basis no photos, it didn’t happen, here’s a couple from todays trip out. Loving the roads around here. Even at 40-50 mph you can have a blast of a time.
Cool photos - thanks Neil.
Not sure why - but I have to log out to see many photos posted by members.
So, I didn't know you have been positing some here until you mention 'photos'..
Cute kddo - and great fog photo!

4, 5 yrs old?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2022, 07:29:53 PM »
No, he turned 3last month!  He’s a little cutie - takes after his Mum!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()