Author Topic: 50cc hard to start an hour after ridden  (Read 284 times)

Tseg

• View Profile
50cc hard to start an hour after ridden
« on: May 01, 2021, 01:40:26 PM »
I've had a (2016) Super 8 50R (Agility 50 engine) since it was new.  Now about 3400 miles on it now.  It has been tuned up recently (new plugs, valve adjustment, new air filter, oil/gear oil change, new battery).  Ever since new it starts immediately or will start immediately if I turn it off and turn it back on... also idling perfectly.   But if I've ridden the scooter and park it for a 1/2 hour or hour, then try to restart I have to give it throttle and then continue to give it a bit of throttle for 10-15 seconds to then have the bike idle properly else it will stall/not start.  Once I get it going it runs perfect.  This issue has existed since new.

Is this just one of those temperamental 50cc carb things or is this an obvious sign of a faulty device (petcock valve? mixture screw?).  I did drill the hole in the gas cap to see if this was causing a vapor lock, but afterwards did not notice a difference/issue not resolved.

I'm fine living with it, but if a simple fix, I might as well fix it.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: 50cc hard to start an hour after ridden
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 01:50:00 PM »
Just curious....while it was still under warranty - what did the dealer say?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Tseg

• View Profile
Re: 50cc hard to start an hour after ridden
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 11:40:14 AM »
Just curious....while it was still under warranty - what did the dealer say?

Stig
Now the rest of the story... the scooter is my son’s.   He has gone to University and left his scooter at home.  So now I joy ride and maintain it.   When I experienced the issue I asked my son about it.  He said, “It’s always done that.”   I also asked him about the bogging when cold and he gave me the same response. 

In summary, the dealership was never asked the question. I suppose I could call the dealership, but that would be too easy and then I would not need this forum.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()