Author Topic: Like 200 top speed?  (Read 17503 times)

kbshaq

• View Profile
Like 200 top speed?
« on: July 28, 2014, 03:04:03 AM »
Please forgive me in advance if this topic has been posted before.  I did a search on it, but couldn't find anything that had a title like this.  :)

I'm considering purchasing a Like 200.  I own a Yamaha Vino 125, it's a good commuter scooter but I want something that is freeway/highway legal (here in a Calif.).  I spoke with a Kymco dealer and he claimed that Like 200's can *easily* do 65-70 MPH.  If anyone can confirm this, this would be great.  :)

Thanks!!

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
Re: Like 200 top speed?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 04:03:50 AM »
My top speed is around 60 on flat and level. Others report higher speeds. The LIKE is underpowered compared to others in that size range. Getting on a clear California freeway at that speed is suicide. I love my bike, but I don't get on the freeways with it.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 04:12:29 AM »
I agree with Lido. The top speed is about 60mph. Since installing my windscreen I have seen 62ish but that is in a tuck in still air. The freeway is a problem not because of speed but  stability. The air flow of larger vehicles will cause the scoot to be thrown about because of the small tires and light weight. I regularly ride secondary roads at 50-55 without a problem but dealing with the side drafts of large trucks is very dangerous.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

kbshaq

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 04:25:41 AM »
Thanks, Lido & Big Blue.  Great replies and input.  Based on BB's input about wind flow, which I've experienced even when riding my heavier 'shiftey' motorcycle, I'm planning on looking at the new People line.  :)
Thanks again, guys.

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 08:19:04 AM »
Mine does 70-72mph on flat, plain roads, calm winds, according to speedometer (full throttle/WOT). Which equals in real speed maybe max. 62mph. Haven´t checked that yet with GPS. Not tuned yet, all original condition with now 1.000km on it. No Windshield, Tire Pressure 2.0bar front Tyre and 2.4bar rear Tyre.
~72kg Driver Weight. Dr. Pulley Weights (11.5g) and Sliders will follow later which should cause a litttle better acceleration and maybe a litttle more top speed.
And I spure my horse from day and kilometer one on, after the engine warmed up. Runs great.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 01:51:50 PM by vespbretta »
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 10:34:49 AM »
Please forgive me in advance if this topic has been posted before.  I did a search on it, but couldn't find anything that had a title like this.  :)

I'm considering purchasing a Like 200.  I own a Yamaha Vino 125, it's a good commuter scooter but I want something that is freeway/highway legal (here in a Calif.).  I spoke with a Kymco dealer and he claimed that Like 200's can *easily* do 65-70 MPH.  If anyone can confirm this, this would be great.  :)

Thanks!!
Wow. Why do salespeople do this?!
They are going to get someone killed on a highway.
7000 miles on my LIKE200I.....in a tuck, down hill, throttle jammed to  the stop, saw 58mph....maybe, vibrating and banging across tar strips too badly to read the speedometer....then was nearly unseated by a passing semi.
This is a great urban streets,   45mph country road, scooter....but it is NOT An  INTERSTATE HIGHWAY scooter.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

200i

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 12:09:07 AM »
My top speed 60...dealers lie!!

BigRig548

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 12:28:11 AM »
Hi everybody. I'm new to this whole scooter thing , I just bought a "14"agility125. I really like it but it's just a little to small for what I need. I got it for going to work and the whole ride is on state &U.S. hwy with 2 big hills & quite a bit of wind most of the time, the hills and any headwind keeps me down to about 45. I was looking at the 200i and was wondering if it could keep me at 55. By the way I'm just a little guy of 320#. Any advice would be greatly appreciated,.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 01:21:35 AM »
wondering if it could keep me at 55. By the way I'm just a little guy of 320#.
At 320lbs....55mph?
You would be riding constanly with the throttle jammed to the stop.
Not a good way to drive a car, nor a scooter.
Also, the short wheelbase and light weight of this scooter would not give you a stable or reassuring ride at that speed, especially when trucks pass you!!.
You would need to give the seat a thorough rebuild to add more padding (the seat of this scooter is a major complaint of many owners)
I think you need to step up in scooter size...in the Kymco line, or test a SYM 200 at the very least.
You will most likely regret your purchase if you buy too small a scooter. If you get the correct size...it will be a blast to ride & own!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Vintage MX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 03:57:27 AM »
Agree with Stig.  I have a buddy who goes about 350 lbs.  He rides a Suzuki Burgman 650 and loves it.  Not as overwhelmly big as a Gold Wing or Electraglide so it is still pretty nimble.  Burgman 400 would do the trick too. Kymco also has some nice larger models you might want to consider.
2011 Like 200i, 2002 KTM 200 EXC and a garage full of 1970s Motocrossers and Trials Bikes.

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 11:05:47 AM »
I run about 280 and my Like would do ok at 50 to 55 but that's it. It was NOT a freeway bike. Also, you really would not want to go to much over 50 with the 12 inch wheels and suspension on the Like. It is bone jarring when you hit most anything on the road.
   I owned mine for 10 months and finally sold it and bought a People GT300i and I have never looked back. The ride of the GT is MUCH smoother than my Like. And of course the added CC's are incredible. I can do 75 on the freeway smooth as silk and have throttle left over.
   Take your time on your purchase and buy the right bike the first time. Don't go through what a lot of us have and have to trade up later on. To much of a pain and you lose money in the long run.

Good luck with your new scoot and update us with what you end up with, mscmkr

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 03:12:50 PM »
I also agree to what you wrote guys. The Like is very good, very easy and very nice to drive up to about 50-55mph.
More Speed is possible, but due to the short wheelbase, the small tyres, the light weight, frameconstruction etc. it isn´t really too much fun any more then - at least not for long time. So, a highway scooter is clearly something else...
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 04:16:35 PM »
These items of discussion are exactly why these forums are such great help. Debunking sales bs and reading the experiences and opinions of others. Warts and all, the Like is doing what I ask of it so far.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 05:41:34 PM »
It would have made a whole lot more sense if Kymco had called it the 170i. The scooter does a great job for me and my style of riding, mostly in town with some runs on the local farm roads. If a highway bike is what you need or extra power something over a 250cc would be the way to go. ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 06:58:15 PM »
Ive gotten my like up to 63 mph per speedo. GPS shows 63 mph to be 60 mph. At WOT the engine sound doesn't make for a pleasant ride. I find between 25 and 50 mph the Like hums along nicely.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()