Author Topic: WTF my instrument cluster is dead????  (Read 2051 times)

RURC

• View Profile
WTF my instrument cluster is dead????
« on: March 05, 2021, 02:09:14 PM »
OK I drive my 500 at least weekly. Last week everything worked perfect for my long day riding. I wen out today to start it up and the cluster is kind of not working.  I have searched but have fond little in a direct "look here" thing. I am hoping that there is new information now.
No tach
No speedo
No fuel gauge
No odometer

The cell phone light is on, but nothing is plugged in
The battery light is on but it is fine and charging
The low fuel light is on

The mode button will not change KM to miles
The oil change light is on but I only have 500 miles on this oil

Turn signal indicators work fine
High beam indicator works fine
Trunk open light works fine

I went ahead and drove it to work (10 miles) and everything drove perfect as usual just no partial instrument cluster.
I am going to pull things apart later today or maybe in the morning but I am looking for any information anyone can give me that may have seen this before.

Thank you so much in advance for any ideas or direction to look at.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 02:14:19 PM by RURC »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: WTF my instrument cluster is dead????
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 02:44:41 PM »
Saw this once before on different vehicle.
Turned out to be a loose battery ground wire - making partial contact. Thing would run , but dash was all crazy.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 03:46:58 PM »
Turned out to be a loose battery ground wire - making partial contact. Thing would run , but dash was all crazy.

Stig

Hope that's it Stig = easy fix?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 07:13:54 PM »
I vote for connector corrosion.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

RURC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 02:15:23 PM »

Stig

Thank you so much.
Well I wish it had been. First thing I did this weekend is do a ground check. Made no difference.

RURC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 03:20:57 PM »
I vote for connector corrosion.

Thank you very much
That was the second thing I wen to. I took CRC contact cleaner and sprayed and agitated both the socket and the plug. No change.

RURC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 03:30:32 PM »
OK
Over the weekend the first place I went was to the battery. I cleaned and cleaned the post and eyelet. They looked great to begin with but I did it. This made zero difference.
I then pulled the faring and all to remove the instrument and get to any ground points there. The scoot stays in a covered bike garage and what I saw looked good.
I then used CRC contact cleaner and cleaned the plug and socket. Nothing.

Now I noticed a very slight amount of moisture in one of the corners. When I say slight I am talking less than a drop of total water. But I opened up the cluster and let it sit to dry out. On Sunday I checked it and nothing. It behaves exactly the same.

Anyone know someone parting out a Xciting?

Lord Faversham

• Upper Class Twit of the Year
  • Farkhem Hall, Tittering, Middle England
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 07:42:26 AM »
The xciting clusters are known for being glitchy. Corrosion on the contacts is common as stated above as is component failure. As Stig suggests, a dodgy earth is also common.

Mine is on its way out with a fading LCD and an intermittent dash light fault. I suspect there is a dry joint on the PCB somewhere in your case (I reckon this is what is causing my dodgy light connection).

Unless you’re a whiz with a multimeter or you know someone who may be able to track the issue down, I suspect your pcb is toast. There are firms online who allegedly can repair pcbs but it’s probably going to be just as cheap to keep a weather eye on eBay/gumtree/Craigslist etc to see if one comes up. They’re not cheap to replace with a new part at £227 a pop but I may end up going down this route myself simply as my scoot was originally a 500i and I’ve upspecced it to R trim. The instrument panel is still the old i-spec so it could do with replacing anyway.

Using second hand parts off eBay is always a gamble so unless you can find one properly cheap, you might be better off biting the bullet and buying a new one with warranty. Before you do though, make sure you are getting power to the plug block by using a multimeter. If you’re not getting a decent feed, your problem lies elsewhere.

HTH

Fav
Regards

Faversham

Farkhem Hall, Tittering, Middle England.

Current Wheels:
Kymco Xciting 500i
Honda CX500
Yamaha R125
Previous:
BMW RT1100
Honda RD03 Africa Twin 750
Kawasaki GPZ500s
Derbi Terra Adventure 125
Countless Lambrettas

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 11:38:40 AM »
I recall having a Ford instrument cluster rebuilt around 2006 because of a sticky temp guage. Cost about 200 USD. Replacement from Ford was 1500, salvage yard was 700....
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

RURC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 10:56:05 AM »
The xciting clusters are known for being glitchy. Corrosion on the contacts is common as stated above as is component failure. As Stig suggests, a dodgy earth is also common.

Mine is on its way out with a fading LCD and an intermittent dash light fault. I suspect there is a dry joint on the PCB somewhere in your case (I reckon this is what is causing my dodgy light connection).

Unless you’re a whiz with a multimeter or you know someone who may be able to track the issue down, I suspect your pcb is toast. There are firms online who allegedly can repair pcbs but it’s probably going to be just as cheap to keep a weather eye on eBay/gumtree/Craigslist etc to see if one comes up. They’re not cheap to replace with a new part at £227 a pop but I may end up going down this route myself simply as my scoot was originally a 500i and I’ve upspecced it to R trim. The instrument panel is still the old i-spec so it could do with replacing anyway.

Using second hand parts off eBay is always a gamble so unless you can find one properly cheap, you might be better off biting the bullet and buying a new one with warranty. Before you do though, make sure you are getting power to the plug block by using a multimeter. If you’re not getting a decent feed, your problem lies elsewhere.

HTH

Fav

Thank you for your response. I have been looking worldwide but I am at the point where I guess that buying the new one may be my only option here.

RURC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 10:56:56 AM »
I recall having a Ford instrument cluster rebuilt around 2006 because of a sticky temp guage. Cost about 200 USD. Replacement from Ford was 1500, salvage yard was 700....

I just have not found a place to even look at it.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 12:38:13 PM »
The one currently listed on ebay won't work for you?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 01:11:53 PM »
I just have not found a place to even look at it.
I found only two in the US in 2008 for that Ford cluster...
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

AcaRapan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2023, 05:20:18 PM »
Hello, i have the exactly the same problem on my xciting 250 as RURC , i know it has beed  ore than 2 years but did you fixed it?

Nejot2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2024, 11:52:44 AM »
I have exactly the same on my Xciting 2007 from today when I wanted to make a ride after 2 Months
How you solved the problem?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()