Author Topic: taking cover off coolant expansion tank  (Read 1610 times)

ispud

• View Profile
taking cover off coolant expansion tank
« on: November 25, 2009, 04:02:47 PM »
How do you do this??  I took out the screw, but am afraid to pry on the cover to get it out - it doesn't seem "loose".  Also, any suggestions for seeing the coolant level - when I look at the inspection window I am not sure I am seeing the fluid.  I looked at the shop manual and it shows a different access cover than what my scooter has (another concern about whether or not I have the right manual) - the cover in the manual has the inspection window in it - my cover has the inspection window below the cover.  All I could find in the manual about getting access into the expansion tank was remove screw and remove cover - I got the screw out, now the question is how do I get the cover off?

Thanks,

:)>>

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
Re: taking cover off coolant expansion tank
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 04:15:08 PM »
Dunno on PS 250. On the P 250, it's very easy. Remove the screw, and put finger in the finger-thingy above the screwhole, and pull.

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 04:22:46 PM »
I found that I could get to it from the back of the panel, from up in fender area.  There are 5 tabs that hold it in place and they were tuff to get loose - the final release was explosive.  When I shined my flashlight into that opening it back lit the tank and I was able to easily read the level.  Still concerned about my shop manual being for the wrong scooter.  I asked Kymco USA about it some time ago, and they told me it was the right one, but obvious discrepancies such as this access area difference makes me wonder.  The only ID on the manual is "first edition, Jan 2006." - anyone aware of something more current?

Gobble gobble

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 04:27:04 PM »
you can back light it from the fender area, with the cover on.  makes reading level very easy.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 09:31:09 PM by ispud »

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 06:40:03 PM »
I think the manual is a combined one for the P250/PS250, and yeah, the illustrations are almost all of the P250... especially body/frame photos.

I would expect an updated one soon, since the P250 is no longer being made, but they may also ditch the PS250 sometime soon in favor of the new GT (I hope it comes to the U.S.).

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 09:43:20 PM »
I heard one gal installed an LED behind the coolant tank to provide the light needed to read the level in the expansion tank. 

Pretty smart I thought.

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 09:49:36 PM »
Not a bad idea, but I would have to hire it out as I am terrified by electrical stuff.  I'll have to live with the flashlight.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()