Author Topic: Bought a 1 year old People 50 and it stalls - Help me identify this part...  (Read 5595 times)

Poltron

• View Profile

Hi,

I just bought a Kymco People 50 2008 model for $1200.  The guy told me it was in perfect working order, but I am having a problem that I noticed on just my second ride.  I get about 20 minutes into my ride and it seems that either when I come to a stop or when I'm going up a hill it just dies on me.  I pull it over and the electric start fails to start the engine, so I use the kick start.  I can't get it started at first, but if I wait about 20 minutes it will start again.

I've contacted the seller and he swears that he has never had the bike die on him before.  He says the problem must have happened during transportation.  (ya right)  However, there is a hose that has come completely disconnected, and I'm wondering if this is related.  I noticed that one end was disconnected when I got it home but didn't think too much of it.   I decided to investigate it a little closer when I was pulled over on the side of the road after a stall.   In trying to find where it should be connected to, the other end came off as well and so the hose is completely disconnected from the bike.

Can someone tell me what this hose is called and what it is for?  I'd hate to take a bike that I just bought into the shop so soon.

*hose

Thanks
-Nick

axy

• View Profile
Hi,

I just bought a Kymco People 50 2008 model for $1200.  The guy told me it was in perfect working order, but I am having a problem that I noticed on just my second ride.  I get about 20 minutes into my ride and it seems that either when I come to a stop or when I'm going up a hill it just dies on me.  I pull it over and the electric start fails to start the engine, so I use the kick start.  I can't get it started at first, but if I wait about 20 minutes it will start again.

I've contacted the seller and he swears that he has never had the bike die on him before.  He says the problem must have happened during transportation.  (ya right)  However, there is a hose that has come completely disconnected, and I'm wondering if this is related.  I noticed that one end was disconnected when I got it home but didn't think too much of it.   I decided to investigate it a little closer when I was pulled over on the side of the road after a stall.   In trying to find where it should be connected to, the other end came off as well and so the hose is completely disconnected from the bike.

Can someone tell me what this hose is called and what it is for?  I'd hate to take a bike that I just bought into the shop so soon.

*hose

Thanks
-Nick

This hose connects air filter casing with the engine air intake and should, logically, connect air filter casing with engine air intake! :)
Take a look at the diagram:
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

luc1992

• View Profile
I just checked my Kymco 50 and indeed it does. You should reconnect it ASAP because running without it will cause unfiltered air (filed with dust particles) to enter the engine. You do NOT want this. So to answer your second question on where to connect the hose (pipe wtvr lol) one end should connect to the left side of your air filter box (big black thing) and the other should connect to an intake hole further left (close to where the arrow is pointing on your picture).
Hope this helps

P.S : i do not know why the absence of this pipe would make your scooter stall when it is idling but it could be possible that when your engine is idling it has to much air in the mixture (since the flow is no longer restricted by the filter) and therefore the scooter stalls because your mixture is too lean. If this is the case your engine should rev up before it dies. The reason why it does not stall when you are accelerating is because since the engine is running at a higher rpm it needs more air.

axy

• View Profile
I just checked my Kymco 50 and indeed it does. You should reconnect it ASAP because running without it will cause unfiltered air (filed with dust particles) to enter the engine. You do NOT want this. So to answer your second question on where to connect the hose (pipe wtvr lol) one end should connect to the left side of your air filter box (big black thing) and the other should connect to an intake hole further left (close to where the arrow is pointing on your picture).
Hope this helps

P.S : i do not know why the absence of this pipe would make your scooter stall when it is idling but it could be possible that when your engine is idling it has to much air in the mixture (since the flow is no longer restricted by the filter) and therefore the scooter stalls because your mixture is too lean. If this is the case your engine should rev up before it dies. The reason why it does not stall when you are accelerating is because since the engine is running at a higher rpm it needs more air.

I never tried with 4T scooters but in most cases if you remove air filter on 2T scooters, you cannot even apply throttle, it just chokes and dies on you. Without air filter it will idle nicely but you cannot pull away.
I guess something like that happens here, but up the hill when the engine needs to rev up.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

luc1992

• View Profile
I never tried with 4T scooters but in most cases if you remove air filter on 2T scooters, you cannot even apply throttle, it just chokes and dies on you. Without air filter it will idle nicely but you cannot pull away.
I guess something like that happens here, but up the hill when the engine needs to rev up.

The people 50 is a 2 stroke so that would explain the problem. Thanks!

axy

• View Profile
The people 50 is a 2 stroke so that would explain the problem. Thanks!

I wonder that it runs at all with air filter disconnected!
Let us know if this fixed the problem.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

Mike N

• View Profile
On my -04 model (Sweden) that hose is connected between the cylinder top plastic cover and the rubber boot over the carburettor. The purpose of it is to lead warm air from the engine top to keep the carb from freezing.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()