Author Topic: Just purchased a Downtown 300i  (Read 6823 times)

DowntownFl

• View Profile
Re: Just purchased a Downtown 300i
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2011, 08:38:04 PM »
Tanware, I was born in Belmar around Shark river.  Small world.

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2011, 09:24:26 PM »
Ok TANWare, look for your E-Mail...hope you like the result's. Of course any photo's of your's are strictly your's and I do nothing with them other than sending them to you. I will not send anything to anyone else even with your permissiom...these are strictly your's.

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 09:24:27 AM »
I think you did a great job................

Artistic rendition by Sly............

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 11:11:39 PM »
Mine was in Neptune NJ, I paid 5516 OTD including everything. That was with Taxes, DMV etc. of course insurance is additional.........

http://www.motorcyclestop.com/
I'm also in my 70's and this would be my first bike.  Maybe a little to rich for me.  I will probably look for used.  Thanks,  I'm in S Jersey near the Walt Whitman.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 01:14:53 AM »
This would be a perfect first bike, I plan to get my daughter and her soon to be husband through the DMV test on mine.

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 02:18:59 AM »
Tanware, I was born in Belmar around Shark river.  Small world.

I live in Wanamassa, just a few towns away from there. The world gets even smaller........... :)

kymco52

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 02:47:55 AM »
Very Nice scoot, I will now consider one of these. As for now my super 8 150 will have to get me through this summer. Kymco52 welcome

Undecided 300i rider

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 08:08:57 AM »
Hi peeps,

Has anyone pushed it to find the top speed yet? I'm interested to see how much this engine can take. I am going back and forth between this and the 500i but my heart is really drawn to the 300i in Burnt Orange.

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 10:45:33 AM »
I haven't reached full break in yet so the engine is still stiff. I am 245 LBS 5'11" and sitting upright I had indicated 87 MPH on a flat open road and 7,300 RPM. It may with patience have gone higher but I only had a short section of road to try this on and with only 400 miles on it at the time was not looking to push it.

This was with the original plug too. With over 600 miles now, dealer is too busy to service it yet, the engine is freed up a bit more. Once I get the Royal Purple in the engine and final drive with the new plug and loosened engine I am quite sure 90+MPH indicated is possible WOT on the flat without traffic to slipstream (open road).

On the GSP here traffic is usually at 70-75 MPH; the bike can roll with them no problem at all. 80 MPH with traffic is fine, but judging from when I was at 400 miles there is not much left to the throttle for acceleration. After it is fully loosened and the oil and Iridium plug the 80 MPH cruise should obtainable with a more comfortable reserve leftover.

If you need more then you can get the Dr Pulley 20x12 14gr sliding rollers. Once all broken in and set you should be able to see 100 MPH indicated or more. You also will be raising the RPM's and lowering gas mileage too. The problem with the bike as stands is the top of the pipe is 8,000-8500 RPM. As it stands top speed is not at the top of the band so we are losing total rear wheel horse power. Like any other vehicle though, as stock, when you lower the ratio to the rear or even get to over drive you raise the MPG.

As the bike stands, bone stock, it can easily out accelerate standing traffic, easily handles rolling into and cruising with interstate traffic and is just a plain blast to ride at 70+ MPG. You should see the looks I get passing cars on the interstate on a medium sized, for the USA, scooter. That and it is not like I am a small stick of a kid tucking behind the wind screen either.

I can't speak for the 500 other than I've seen the styling and am not overly impressed. Pictures of these bikes to it no justice, in person they are 10 times sexier. Next to the Burgman 400 or 650 it just shouts out to you, the dealer here is a Suzuki dealer too.

I have noticed now that the seat is breaking in my position is moving back slightly. Apparently my overly large butt is compressing the rear ridge and I am getting more room. Definitely more comfortable now this way so I will hold off on getting the seat done and see where I end up with it stock.

I got to finally do a 2 up with the bike around town and at 65 MPH on the highway. It was me at 245 LBS and my future son in law at 220 LBS. The bike rode fine and easily kept up with traffic but I did notice you have to get into the throttle a bit more.  The rear felt a bit soft and the shocks are set to 3 of 5 and I hadn't upped the tire pressure either.

Sorry for the long wind but trying to give you as much info from my impressions so far as I can……………..

Undecided 300i rider

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 02:27:10 AM »
@ TanWare

No problem at all brother. This is exactly what I was wanting to know. I plan on getting one by August (hope fully by the  4th of July) and want to get as much info as possible. I am a pretty aggressive rider but I have never owned a bike with this kind of displacement (Only 50cc). So I am excited about the power gain but a bit concerned that it will not be enough. BUT it sounds like I am going to be fine. SO XCITED!

I wish I could pick a new handle now. (X5 was for the 500R i) Ha ha ;(

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 03:37:22 AM »
Well if you plan on racing against even 250 crotch rockets you will be dissapointed. If you need enough to leave local traffic in the dust at 50% throttle you will be a happy camper.

Undecided 300i rider

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2011, 11:01:19 PM »
I wanted to be sure that I could get on the highway and pass when needed and evade if I have to. Traffic in DFW is sometimes DO or DIE. Don't want to be on the back end of that statement.  Do you know of any place to get comprehensive performance numbers?

Acceleration:0-30 mph, 30-60 mph, 60-Top Speed mph; Braking: Top Speed-0, 60-0 mph, 30-0 mph

You know stuff like that

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 01:32:11 AM »
0-10 MPH is the big hurt here, engine is at low rpm and the clutch grabs early. once at 10-40 it is a fast bike WOT. After 40 you start to feel the slow down in acceleration from the air drag. 40-50 is still pretty hard but you know you are slowing down. 50-65 is acceptable but nothing to write home about 65-85+ it starts getting there so you do have the rolling power but it is a gradual proccess.

If you were to drive on one of those highways eveyone at 80 and under gets rolled over and traffic laws are a thing of the past, forget this or just about any other scooter. If you are looking interstate at 65-75 MPH where people behave there is no issue here. Of course for regular highway 50-60MPH this bike works very well indeed.

from a standing start to 50 MPH or roll from 30-60 MPH no regular family sedan can keep up to you. 2 up this may be yet another issue but it hauls my 242LBS around quickly enough.

My bike is still in service today but once out and the weather is decent I'll see if I can get some better times. as mentioned before my local highway is 50 MPH and regular traffic is 55-65 MPH in the speed lane. I have no issue with the new plug keeping with traffic under rolling acceleration in the speed lane with up to 33% throttle, usually alot less.

Now my V65 Magna you do not twist the throttle you just apply a little more pressure in the twist. This bike does not compare in that regard in any way. There also though is no impending feeling of death from one wrong twist of the wrist either.  Personally I much prefer the DT 300i, would I like to see 45 BHP from it, you bet! That is not going to happen from a 300cc motor. At least not with todays tech, one day that may be considered a low number.

On that note, this engine is todays tech. You get way more power than any other 300cc class stock engine. With mods you can get even more. So for that fact you can not judge this bike on reviews of others in the displacement catagory. Think of this bike as having the capability of others in the 400cc or even 500cc range. This is because of the added power but still the lighter bike within the 300cc class.

The best comparison I could give is if you would not be warry of riding a Burgman 400 there then this bike will be at least as good at it. If you are looking for a super touring bike the Burgman 650 is tough to beat right now. The 700i though should be interesting if they keep up the bike and engine tech.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()