Author Topic: Storage space?  (Read 4539 times)

YagerMeister

• View Profile
Storage space?
« on: April 26, 2011, 04:59:33 PM »
I haven't been able to see a Downtown yet in person b/c Kymco doesn't bother to show up to the IMS in SC, and half their dealer network went out of business in Atlanta, so how is the storage, really?  Can you actually fit two real-live full-face helmets under the seat?  The tiny glovebox door looks chincy and easily damaged in the pictures.  Opinions?  I'm toying with the idea of replacing my Yamaha Morphous with the DT300 in the next couple of years.  Storage is the Morph's Achilles heel.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: Storage space?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 06:04:05 PM »
I have seen at least 3 different pictures of 2 full size helmets in there, so it's obviously
doable, but question is will ANY 2 fit, there's all sorts of shapes and sizes, and some have
differently shaped additions that might get in the way. Either way, I'd put a big topbox on
it just to be sure that everything and anything can fit.

Can't answer your glovebox question though.. too early to tell probably if it's flimsy or
built properly.. but some people manage to break everything.

The DT looks built like a Mercedes to me.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 07:12:53 PM »
I have seen at least 3 different pictures of 2 full size helmets in there, so it's obviously
doable, but question is will ANY 2 fit, there's all sorts of shapes and sizes, and some have
differently shaped additions that might get in the way.

They marketed P250S as being able to accommodate two full faced helmets and as having integral braking system (right brake actuates one front and one rear disc).
Guess what, it has regular brakes and it cannot accommodate two full faced helmets.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

DowntownFl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 01:10:23 AM »
I don't think the front position under the seat will fit a full face helmet.  I just installed a Shad 45L box.  It looks good and provides a lot more space.  I got the black on an orange scooter.  It looked like a good size for the 300.

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 11:23:04 PM »
I have 3 different full face XL helmets and none will go to the front and close. I think maybe a shorty or possibly a full size open face. I have found thogh for small shopping trips you can get a good amount under there. I wish on the front portion of the tun they didn't have that bump for centering the helmet.

I am going to get a box but debating on which one. I was looking at the Givi V46 or Givi E470. I'll have to look at the Shad and others, undecided as of yet.

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 01:43:28 AM »
I am still waiting for mine, supposed to be here Monday afternoon. Anyway I have the Givi V46 and have a led light kit installed in it. All black case and I am thinking of having the top painted to match the orange of the bike.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 01:35:22 PM »
Congratulations, you will love the bike. Does Givi have a burnt orange back plate for the V46?

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 04:57:07 PM »
No, I am going to have my flat black one painted to match the bike or at least that was the plan when I purchased it.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 06:05:03 PM »
No, I am going to have my flat black one painted to match the bike or at least that was the plan when I purchased it.

Ah, I am so torn over which top case I want. to keep with the width prifile of the rear 18" would be about right. The 50L or so box's I am looking at are 22-24" or so wide. I want a big box but at the same time I'd like to keep additioan drag to a minimum. That and of course need a back pad for the passenger. I really don't care if it has lights...........

Edit; for Givi I found the link below, A windshield and backrest part numbers too.

http://www.giviusa.com/My-motorcycle/?ma=KYMCO&mo=Downtown-125i-300i

The Shad mount for our bikes, link to pdf file

http://www.shad.es/descargas/shad195.pdf
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 07:35:57 PM by TANWare »

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 03:26:14 AM »
Have been looking for a while but for others that are curious, the below video shows a 300i with a E55 bag and some of the photo's are of the Givi wind screen too.............

woodbar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 09:05:02 PM »
Had a look at the Shad rack - it seems that the two rear support bars go in front of the rear stop/tail lamp - apart from obscuring the light it looks a bit naff!

I agree with the previous comments about the underseat storage - Kymco UK say it will take 2 full face helmets - mine won't even take one even in the larger rear section - got a Lazer Vertigo which does not appear to be larger than normal but the seat will not close!  Have to find out how much for the Givi top-box offerings although I begrudge having to spend more money to get a facility that I thought was already provided as standard.

Does anyone know why the Kymco web site is saying the bike comes with the TPM warning system - it definitely does NOT - the button is there with a "TPM" legend - but there is no switch behind it - at best this is misleading - do any of the markets have this fitted - or was it just wishful thinking by the marketing boys?

Anybody got any ideas to make the tiny mph scale on the speedo more readable - I would have thought that to sell these machines in the UK it would have to have mph as the MAIN scale?  It's impossible to read most of the time due to the reflections from the curved cover as well as the fact that the very small markings are in dark red on a black dial - not exactly high contrast!

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 09:18:38 PM »
I wish I could trade you instrument packages. I am in canada and wound up with a us model and I have the same issue with the small numbers for K, I have to convert everything from miles to K.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

woodbar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 09:45:41 PM »
That's very interesting racewalker - I wonder what the next day courier costs would be between Canada & UK?

Seriously though that makes it even more annoying - if Kymco actually produce a speedo head with the main scale in mph why the hell is it not fitted on UK models?  Maybe it costs a pound or two more for the "non standard" version (as regards the rest of the world) and that would put a dip in the UK importers mark-up!

Although at £3999 it appears to be the most expensive non Japanese scoot available here so you'd think it would be specified correctly.

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 02:01:32 AM »
I have of course the USA version but I can see what you mean, it is tough to see the little KPH marls they do have on this version of the speedo................

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()