Author Topic: Tire's on my New 300i.....your's?  (Read 5699 times)

Syl

• View Profile
Tire's on my New 300i.....your's?
« on: April 07, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
Checked the tire make today after talk about tire's on here. I have front and back Maxxis Tire's.... Opinion's??

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: Tire's on my New 300i.....your's?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 03:06:57 PM »
Usually not that great.. the ones I tried anyways.
Even some for bicycles..  ;D
They'll probably be great up to about 4000 miles.. then turn to plastic.
I'd look for replacement tires ASAP.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

Whisper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 01:13:57 PM »
That is bizarre!  What are the numbers on them, Syl?  Mine are Kendaâ„¢.

I've use Maxis before, but on a motorcycle (A step up from my beloved Cheng Shins LOL!) - They seemed pretty respectable to me.

Undecided 300i rider

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 11:08:50 PM »
Who makes the best tire? Most grip? Longest lasting?   ???

Sorry for all the ?'s. NEWB just getting back into the sport.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 12:31:10 AM »
I am going to guess the tires put on the bike will vary based on what country the bike is being shipped to.  Whisper is in the US and it would require US DOT tire. Syl is in Europe if I remember correctly.

Best tire?  It's like your best OIL question, the answer will vary based on the user and their personal preferences and experiences.. In other words, it's debatable and you will get 2,000 opinions.

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 12:32:29 AM »
I am still of course on the stock tires. I am waiting to see what kind of wear they provide. I have mainly only ridden in the dry but so far traction seems more than adaquate..............

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 02:38:54 AM »
JUst picked mine up at noon today, been raining all day. Handled well on the hi way when I went home but no wind today. Tomorrow we will have more rain and winds off the front corner the same as I had trouble with Monday on my S 125. Could only get 70 to 80 K against it. Be interesting to see how this one handles the wind on these tires. I had really good luck with Avon Viper strike tires on the S125 and if these on the DT300i slip I will change them right a way.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 04:27:47 AM »
I would be interested if we can get 130/80 14's as this would make the speedo more accurate, a look on the internet though doesn't seem to show any............

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 11:51:26 AM »
Who makes the best tire? Most grip? Longest lasting?   ???

Michelin City Grip is the most popular choice among scooter riders these days,
but you're probably aware that you can't have grip AND have them last long.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 12:02:40 PM »
Michelin City Grip is the most popular choice among scooter riders these days,
but you're probably aware that you can't have grip AND have them last long.

Always a compromise, softer rubber for better grip and low mileage or hard rubber for better mileage but low grip. One of the reasons people Darkside their bikes, not that I am advocating doing so. You would think the tire manufacturers would be able to hybrid car and motorcycle tech though for a rear tire that lasts a bit longer for cruisers. Then make matching front tire set.............

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
Always a compromise, softer rubber for better grip and low mileage or hard rubber for better mileage but low grip.

I am afraid this way of thinking is completely incorrect.

Tire wear is one thing and compound hardness is completely another.

All combinations are possible, but claiming that softer rubber by default easily wears is downright incorrect.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 06:59:38 PM »
I am afraid this way of thinking is completely incorrect.

Tire wear is one thing and compound hardness is completely another.

All combinations are possible, but claiming that softer rubber by default easily wears is downright incorrect.

Softer rubber by default will ware out faster than a harder compound, all else being equal, but there are other factors involved as well. Every tire may have it's own compound, ply, side wall, and tread designs along other mitigating factors. General rule of thumb is the stickier the tire the faster ware but as technology improves so does longevity. So a tire with a 10 year old design may not last as long as a better traction tire that was put out more recently.

Unlike car tires it is tough to tell what life you can expect. We can really only rely on each other to post their experiences so that we may hopefully make a better educated decision on the next set of tires.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 09:21:35 PM »
Softer rubber by default will ware out faster than a harder compound, all else being equal, but there are other factors involved as well. Every tire may have it's own compound, ply, side wall, and tread designs along other mitigating factors. General rule of thumb is the stickier the tire the faster ware but as technology improves so does longevity. So a tire with a 10 year old design may not last as long as a better traction tire that was put out more recently.

Unlike car tires it is tough to tell what life you can expect. We can really only rely on each other to post their experiences so that we may hopefully make a better educated decision on the next set of tires.

Personally, I would never have the same set of tires for longer than 13-14.000 kms, not because they lose thread, but they lose SHAPE.
Also, I always change tires in pairs.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

TANWare

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 11:21:55 PM »
I agree with the pairs, you should match the tires. I have always done the same with my cages too, all four at once. It is even more important here. Safety over an exrta $100 or so is not worth it.

My motorcycle tires never seemd to shape or flatten out, then again I guess that is style and terrain as I did little flat line travel over distances. I have never seen a scooter though that didn't do this to the rear especially. If and when I end up with that I'll be in your group..............
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 11:38:17 PM by TANWare »

old geezer

• View Profile

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()