Author Topic: Oil Change  (Read 2561 times)

Boudroux

• View Profile
Oil Change
« on: June 15, 2014, 12:54:07 AM »
Please can someone tell me what size socket or wrench I need to remove the oil drain plug?
Thank you.

AVGuy

• View Profile
Re: Oil Change
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 02:12:19 AM »
I think it's an 11mm, but both the scoot and I have gone to bed, so I can't double check right now.
Grand Vista 250
"Big Scoot"

allanseth23

• View Profile
Oil Change
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 09:37:18 AM »
Engine oil drain plug 17mm. Best to use a socket and also remove the plastic engine cover to avoid cross threading the plug.

But if you mean gear oil plug its 12mm.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 03:10:22 PM »
Start every important screw, nut, bolt or plug by h a n d!
Never a worry about cross-threading then.....unless you're a large former E. German female olympian.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 05:00:52 PM »
You have basically two ways to drain the oil: the official drain plug is on the left SIDE, and you can drain the oil on the bottom by removing the cap where the filter is installed. Recommended is to remove both plugs, but be careful when removing the screen filter as it is under spring pressure, and washer, and gasket that you know exactly in which correct direction and order it goes back.

I do right off hand not remember the size of the sockets and have no access to check right now.

josephthediviner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 05:07:57 AM »
The two oil plugs are 17mm. and the transmission lube plugs are 12mm.  I usually drain the majority of the oil with the left side plug then after tipping the scooter a bit to get just a bit more out I reinstall the left plug and then open the bottom plug and remove the screen to check or clean  after the drips finish I replace the screen spring and plug snugging and clean off any drips or surface gunk with a shot of Carb cleaner and a cloth.

Then over to the left side every 10,000 miles to change the transmission fluid 75-90 W Amsoil sever gear it works and I probably never need to change it at all, remove the bottom plug and drain into pan first place a rag across the bottom of the tire to prevent drips, when drained install bottom plug and remove top plug using a veterinary syringe available at stores such as Orscheln or any farm/ feed store you can pick up a 200-300 cc syringe I remove the plunger holding my finger over the needle port I fill it with fluid to the 250cc mark or 25ml. then carefully reinsert the plunger and burp the air out after rotating the syringe then inject the fluid into the hole repeat until the correct amount is in it's quick and clean and you won't waste product this way..  party on.     I usually use either Amsoil 10-40 motorcycle oil or Mobil 1 4T they are both excellent and sure they are expensive but so is an engine rebuild, I have 26,000 miles on the current GV with no oil burning great compression and silky smooth.     

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 06:18:37 AM »
The two oil plugs are 17mm. and the transmission lube plugs are 12mm. ...I have 26,000 miles on the current GV with no oil burning great compression and silky smooth.   

Nice work windwheeler & josephthediviner.  I might add that I have given up removing the 17mm bolt  because my screen never has anything in it.

I have 14K and you have almost 2x the miles!  Very impressive and great to know the motor can go the distance.

PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()