Author Topic: The Puig windscreen is here, but...  (Read 1824 times)

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
The Puig windscreen is here, but...
« on: February 13, 2016, 02:25:26 PM »
The Windscreen arrived, looks ok, but no instructions just a blow up with parts labeled in Spanish & English.

The Screen is on the Scooter.

The product is all fairness is certainly worth the money ($99.95 shipping included).

Well made, sturdy.

That said you can't tell until you ride with it on:

1) man is it quiet without the hurricane around your ears.
     2) doesn't look bad,actually fits the look and lines of the scooter well, I think.
     3) it is taller than I thought or wanted, maybe three inches above my comfortable eyeline; so I have to look through the screen at the road. not my first choice but I'll see if I get used to it; if not I have a good neighbor with a "Shop Master" and all sorts of cutting blades. he rides and has cut two screens down for himself (he already offered if I decide to make it shorter).
     4) fitment is supposed to be for the People, but it requires a little nip and tuck; like the two small strips of old inner tube i cut out and installed in-between the screen and the factory's little black "spoiler".
     5) the secondary support struts that lean against the scooters front panel may provide additional support, but think the strut's design and placement could have been better.
    6) the mirror bracket placement could have use d the opportunity to move the mirrors up and out instead of just back. the end result is the mirror mounts very close to the light 7 kill switches. still functions fine, but very close.
    7) The worst thing about the screen is the lose of both topped and acceleration. the scoot now topped out today at about 78 or 79 on the speedometer. I had it up to 87 or 88 prior to the screen being installed. play it was slower to get there.

All in all it does what it is supposed to and as I said it appears to be well made. The mirrors move a bit more that the did when mounted directly to the frame, but not enough to complain. If I keep it on the bike I will probably opt to take 3, 3.5 inches of the top (so as to allow for my eyes to look over the top at the road). Maybe the cut shorter gives me back a mile or two per hour at the top end. In the rain, in the cold bet this screen will be appreciated...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 12:05:00 AM by PapaSoldTheHarley »

JohnKiniston

• View Profile
Re: The Puig windscreen is here, but...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 05:20:53 PM »
Where did you find it for $99?

I'm seeing higher prices whe nI search.

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 08:40:19 PM »
Ebay...

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 01:25:12 AM »
I know you sold the gti300 but my wife still has hers and she needs a windscreen. Current check of ebay says they ship from Spain. That where yours came from?

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

fest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 11:15:45 PM »
I found link for the windscreen but this one is in Italy and it's different brand.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/361251830310?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 08:50:54 PM »
Got the Urban model (310 mm tall) and installed on wife's GTi300. Worked great! Had to enlarge two holes for 10 mm threads but that was the only drawback. Got it from ebay and Loctite on all threads. Gotta trip next week to North Carolina on the scoots wx permitting. Will post report after she rides it for a few days.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()