Author Topic: Took a nice 70 mile ride this morning... The "Shoei" is very quiet...  (Read 1547 times)

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
Before it got really hot (it has been scorching in West Central Florida of late) I took the scooter for a nice run around the County. Seventy miles or so. Still being "Babied" during break-in; no quick starts, no wide open throttle, no heavy acceleration. Have been up to 75 and 80 mph but got there slowly and only for brief periods. So far so good the GTI is performing flawlessly.

I will say this, "The Shoei is quiet!". The difference when wearing the off brand full face (it has a clear shield so I use that when I know it's going to get dark before I am going to get home) and wearing the bright yellow Shoei (with a jet black face shield) is night and day (pun intended)... The other helmet would appear to be OK. I mean compared to wearing the 3/4 white open face my cheapie full face seems to be a stout lid, with a reasonable seal around the visor and descent insides... However after wearing the Shoei for a 90 minute ride you can really feel/hear the difference. There is no air jetting by your ears wearing the Shoei. The padding is thick, but soft enough that you feel "Well Packed", not squeezed in. Overall the noise level seems to be a fraction of the less expensive lid.

Wasn't too hot either (and it was/has been brutal out lately).

I may just pass on a windscreen altogether.

I'm sure the other quality lids are quiet as well, but I am really pleased with my "steal of a deal" on the Yellow Shoei.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 01:19:13 AM by PapaSoldTheHarley »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Took a nice 70 mile ride this morning... The "Shoei" is very quiet...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 12:35:45 AM »
Good for you!
I noted the much better aerodynamics of my Nolan full/modular compared to my big ol' XXXXL HJC full/modular.
My neck is pretty strong from the work I do and a couple yrs of wearing that big HJC - but the  wind drag is much better with the Nolan.
Nothing like a good helmet .....
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 02:54:02 AM »
Stig has a big neck from crawling under scooters, most of us do it sitting upright. Often he does it too.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 09:42:14 PM »
Stig has a big neck from crawling under scooters, most of us do it sitting upright. Often he does it too.
Keep a roll of T-Paper in the tool box. Rest your head on it while staring  up into the scooter's guts.
Use the good stuff....it's worth it!
Nearly fell asleep out there in the garage waiting for the last drip of oil.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 04:20:09 AM »
Years ago I got into the habit of wearing ear plugs when I ride. They're cheap enough when purchased in quantity.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 12:08:47 PM »
Years ago I got into the habit of wearing ear plugs when I ride. They're cheap enough when purchased in quantity.
Yes, read long post about hearing damage even in full face helmets.
Ear plugs.
Found when I put the chin thing back in my Norbert for cooler riding it cuts the sound significantly....always had the rear neck thing in, too. Both can come out for hot weather riding.
My editor said it's a Nolan , not a Norbert. Whatever, still sounds like a guy from new jersey..
Stig
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 12:10:32 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

fest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 12:50:09 AM »
@ PapaSoldTheHarley

Which Shoei model is that? I am thinking it's qwest, they had good reviews about it on youtube.

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 01:26:11 AM »
Don't know, it is a couple of years old though...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()