Author Topic: Oil still vanishing after rings and valve stem seals job  (Read 3246 times)

xsel777

• View Profile
Oil still vanishing after rings and valve stem seals job
« on: November 08, 2017, 09:12:41 PM »
Xciting 500

I have ridden  1000 km since the engine job was done.
In that time i have had to topup with  750 ml oil, which is excessive.

The tail pipe is dry, but sootie.
The expansion tank water is green.
I don't see smoke in the mirror while driving.
I don't see smoke when i start it in the morning.
There is no pool of oil under the scooter where I park overnight or anywhere else i park.
The usual suspect of the grommet where the alternator wires exit the engine is wet with oil.
But Not dripping.
This is the only evidence of oil outside the engine.
Should I assume that this is where the missing oil is going?
Exiting the engine via the grommet.
What recommendations do you have?
I can say that  silicone did not help last time i tried to fix it. I applied it on the outside, and it seems there is a pressure, pushing the oil out, because the grommet is on top of the engine

Sent from my Mi Max using Tapatalk
2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

willembop

• View Profile
Re: Oil still vanishing after rings and valve stem seals job
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 06:20:21 PM »
Wow, that is quite a puzzler. It certainly seems that such a large quantity of oil vanishing should leave more evidence behind, i.e. puddles of oil or smoke. I think you have covered all the bases, but then the oil must be going somewhere. Perhaps it only leaks at higher RPM and blows away at speed. If that were the case (and I doubt it would be), then an inspection of the engine exterior should show some area wet with oil. If 750 ml were leaking out of the alternator wire grommet (and here again I doubt that it could), it should be pretty wet in that area. You said the expansion tank coolant looks okay -- check the radiator, because sometimes the contaminated coolant might not be getting to the expansion tank. Also, your oil is not milky?

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 06:40:42 PM »
I once bought a used van that used a quart of oil every 75 miles! I couldn't believe it was burning it because it wasn't noticeable except at speed and even then not readily obvious. Suggestion: Run it at night with someone behind you, if it's smoking you (and he) will readily see it in his headlights. Check the spark plug, too.
2009 GV 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 09:28:34 AM »
If there are no external leaks, it has to be burning oil. As someone else said, it’s likely only at higher rpm’s. Also, the catalytic converter (I️ think this has one) is often able to “clean up” evidence of oil consumption ,  dry it up enough to make it look like soot, if it’s a relatively small amount and at higher rpm’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 05:58:45 PM »
If you are burning the oil, which I'm convinced you are, here's what I'd do: Drain the oil, leave the filter in, fill it with 5 weight NON-synthetic, then ride it like you stole it, always accelerating, decelerating, for 100km. Then top off the oil, taking note of the amount it took. Do this four or five times, seeing if it takes less oil each time, as those rings seat. If oil use is dropping off, I'd continue until 1000km, or until oil consumption stops, then switch to a new filter, fill it with 5w-40 non-synthetic for a few thousand km, then after you are not burning above normal amount of oil, use synthetic.

If you are still burning copious oil after 500-600 km you have something else wrong: scored cylinder, broken ring, etc. and you will have to start over.

Report back, please. Share what you have done...and learned.
2009 GV 250

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 08:37:24 PM »
Stu, thanks. This is definately worth a shot . Can't do any further damage, right?

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 07:37:33 AM »
Update:
Well, something is not right. I took a trip to stellenbosch, and i heard a whistling. Luckily I was near a garage, so I stopped there and saw that the water pipe  near the water pump is swollen and a little slit in it, and frayed fabric can be seen.
Now the bike won't start.
So the bike shop is coming to collect it.
At another bike shop, i was told that the sleeve could be oval, which would account for oil vanishing.
I checked the expansion tank, and it is still green in there.
Oh, man. I am getting tired of this.

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 06:08:16 PM »
Hey 777: Sorry to read of your frustrating problems. If you are agreeable, I'd like to ask some questions:

Why did you re-ring your engine?
What did you do to the cylinder bore, if anything?
What oil did you use after rebuild?

I ask because when I used to rebuild engines we would send the block to the machine shop to have the cylinders bored out; they would come back with cross-hash marks, very rough and the rings had to work them smooth with proper "break-in" oil and driving techniques. I wonder if things have changed since those times ('50's---'80's). People don't break-in new cars or motorcycles these days.
2009 GV 250

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 08:20:07 PM »
Stuo, I found oil floating on top of the expansion tank one day, so the decision was made to open the engine, as I had already noted high oil usage.
The head was skimmed, new rings and valve stem seals.
This cylinder has a sleeve so I have asked the shop to check that out as a possibility.
The shop put in my supplied mobil actevo 4t synthetic oil. Nobody mentioned running in oil. They just took my money, gave me my keys , and sent me in my way.
And I had just bought some mineral oil today, before the water pipe burst.!

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 08:21:45 PM »
There are no oversized pistons rings or sleeves for the 500cc scooter. Certainly not in South Africa, for sure. So it is stock, or walk. 😁

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 09:49:25 PM »
Thanks for the fast response. I wonder if they closely inspected the cylinder. A scratch or gouge will cause oil consumption, I know from experience.

I wish you a happy resolution. Let us know the final act.

Good luck.
2009 GV 250

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 01:47:43 PM »
I thought this thread needs an update with the latest happenings that seem related.
The one water pipe burst again in the same spot, just above the water pump, the short pipe that is an elbow shape.. Other pipes were swollen, so they are all getting replaced.
It turns out that there was so much oil in the water that it was like a paste, so the radiator had to be flushed at a radiator place and then the engine will get flushed, plus the thermostat was stuck solid.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 02:37:20 PM »
I thought this thread needs an update with the latest happenings that seem related.
The one water pipe burst again in the same spot, just above the water pump, the short pipe that is an elbow shape.. Other pipes were swollen, so they are all getting replaced.
It turns out that there was so much oil in the water that it was like a paste, so the radiator had to be flushed at a radiator place and then the engine will get flushed, plus the thermostat was stuck solid.

Thanks Xsel….
You do not quit easily!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 02:46:37 PM »
I took the scoot away from the the "agents" and have given it to a motorcycle workshop that does the local traffic dept bikes. I am hoping that this fact means something as I havent ever seen broken traffic bikes on the side of the road. 😁.
The mechie says that this residue is probably from the previous job when the head gasket blew. Or it could be the mechanical seal that was not installed properly.
The scoot starts and runs so it is probable that there is no major damage(water ran out of split pipe - took 2 litres to fill).

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 02:49:48 PM by xsel777 »

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 05:55:18 PM »
I admire your persistence. I would have given it both barrels of my 10 gauge, putting it out of its misery. Or...just add oil frequently and ride it.
2009 GV 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()