Author Topic: Former KYMCO USA Technician  (Read 4575 times)

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
Re: Former KYMCO USA Technician
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2020, 02:46:26 PM »

At 81 I may have to consider smaller bike/scooter in the future...but not there yet.

I'm 83 and really "like" my Like 150i ABS  It takes me everywhere except the Interstate.
Like 150i ABS

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2020, 05:30:15 PM »
I have to have interstate legal.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2020, 07:20:45 PM »
I have to have interstate legal.
I believe they are Interstate legal here in all States, John......just not at all advisable.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2020, 07:54:18 PM »
I have seen a couple of rules on freeway use in the US--#1 over 150cc displacement   #2 10HP min. Doesn't matter how fast your bike/scooter can go....somebody always wants to go faster.....Something I learned in over 20 years in Germany----don't get in fast lane unless your bike/car can go 125mph and accelerate away from that speed.   Otherwise you might get rundown!  2014 I rode scooter and   Suzuki TU 250 to 49 states   slow lane just fine and safe---all the idiots in Pickups, etc like the left lane.   Cops watch the left lane.

Tom Moy

• My 500Ri
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2020, 08:38:58 PM »

Can you tell me the best available heated grips that will fit a 2008 Kymko 500 ri scooter and where I can purchase them to be shipped to Ontario, CANADA.

Thanks for what ever help you can provide!

Tom Moy
email:  tom@moyfam.ca

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2020, 03:11:24 PM »
If you were to ask me "should I purchase a KYMCO unit?"

Only if:

1:You can accept a lack of aftermarket support

2: Deal with a costumer service program that forwards you to a mailbox or recommendation to call a dealer

4: Waiting 3 months or more for parts.

Then buy a KYMCO..........

I've only found a couple of places that have some stuff. Taiwan Big Scooter Shop and stuff on ebay sold by androidextend.

I've had a pretty good experience dealing with Kymco customer support. Have you ever tried to get a hold of a Piaggio representative? I tired emailing and calling them, never did I ever get a reply or call back. They are definitely the worst.

Parts have typically taken me 7 weeks to get from a local dealer, even a drive belt last year so I must be doing better than some. I also can buy factory Kymco parts including those not for US models from the seller androidextend on ebay. If they don't list it contacting them gets a answer quickly.

See if you can guess on what is wrong with my MyRoad 700i.

33,000 miles, riding on the freeway I start to notice if I back off the throttle a little bit the engine feels like it cuts out. Riding longer gets worse and coming to a stop it stalls, it will restart and die again. I have to get on or feather the throttle to get/keep it running and if I don't hold the rpm's up it will die. I had a code for the MAP sensor (code 13) so I had ordered one. When it came in I tore the bodywork off. I started the bike and found that lightly tapping on the MAP sensor would cause the engine to die. Ok so it seemed the sensor was bad. I changed it out and inspected the connector/terminals which looked fine. The bike started and ran normally for 3 days and is now back to doing the same thing. I'm not sure if the MAP sensor code could be tripped by me feathering the throttle to get it started and keep it running to get home or not. My next thoughts are looking closer at the MAP sensor connector terminals of even the spark plug wires. Any prior issues like this or ideas?

Also where can I get part number 3620A-LEB2-E00 the English Kymco scan tool?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 03:38:40 PM by MJR »
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

flying old guy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2020, 03:56:33 PM »
Good morning. As a new Kymco owner of 2 recent Kymco scoots, 2018 Like 200i and 2011 Yager. I do a lot of reading on the subject of Kymco ownership, and I must admit that it does bother me because of the lack of support by Kymco and especially the availability of parts. It's nice to have a forum to ask questions and get real answers. Although I have had no problems at all with the bikes, It's a constant thought in the back of my mind that if something does go wrong, i'm up the creek. This past week I sold the "Like" and I'm really thinking hard about the Yager. I don't understand why a company like Kymco, have not stood behind their products a lot better than they do. I think they do themselves a great injustice. Ernie

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2020, 04:02:29 PM »
I would encourage anyone who is thinking of purchasing a Kymco scooter to talk with as many Kymco scooter owners as possible.

DO ask around....see what you learn about Kymco ownership.

8yrs and counting, happy here
Stig

Fair point Stig, but if you're on this forum then you're probably part of a biased self-selecting sample!  That said in 25+ years of Triumph ownership I have experienced both the best and worst of after sales service with them.  The worst being a Dealer who I bought three bikes off over a ten year period and then walked away from and never used again after being treated badly.  The best was a Dealer in northern Italy (Numero Tre) who couldn't do enough for a poor stranded Brit followed up by Triumph back home refunding the cost of the faulty part (ECU) despite the bike being one year out of warranty!

My experience so far with Kymco UK has been pretty good.  One warranty claim on my X-Town 300i which was met quickly and without quibble.  I guess what I'm trying to say has been said many times on here before, you get good 'uns and bad 'uns.  Patronise the good marques, dealers, workshops etc., and steer clear of the bad ones.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2020, 05:40:32 PM »
All I'm saying (I think that's a country western song?) is.....ask around.

If one hears that Kymco's are exploding, and parts are secreted in Kabul, Afghanistan ---keep saving for a Honda.

I don't need any aftermarket stuff. My Kymco parts are working just fine....and are recommended over aftermarket stuff.
I've never had a problem getting a part....and am still waiting for something to wear out so I can empty my spares drawer!

Do the research in your neck of the World. If it's not going to be fun - to own or fix - continue your search for a scooter.
Right now, the stuff Kymco is selling in the USA are pretty bullet proof scooters IMHO. Folks who have done no investigating before purchasing one of these models have very little to be concerned about. If you can't find a dealer nearby-----
 and get nervous about fixing it yourself, buy something else.

Kymco isn't #1, nor is it priced like one.

My Piaggio dealer literally blew away after my purchase - but I did my research, got a manual & have two great part sources for normal consumables only, so after 3 yrs have gotten my $$'s worth of enjoyment if my Liberty blows up tomorrow.

what the heck was the question again......

I'm busy making beast stew here.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2020, 05:48:38 PM »
Eleven years and counting! Happy as a clam with the machines. Not happy with most dealers. Was happy a couple years ago with Kymco USA because they would sic a regional sales guy on a dealer who was dragging his feet with warranty support but that stopped with the answering service fiasco. There is a great deal of customer loyalty and a wealth of technical solutions to troubleshooting that neither Spartanburg nor the dealers have tapped to assist. That is what really yanks my chain! These dealers and their techs are so high and mighty about handing a customer a pantload of BS because they either don't know or don't want to mess with it and Kymco USA these days could care less. I have no idea what it is like to deal with Taiwan but it cannot be that bad! Saw all the new big shots hired in to "solve" the importer's problems but need to see some results to change my attitude!

Lousy Tech said a bunch when he said he RESIGNED. A guy with HIS talent and experience should NOT be ignored. It SHOULD be acted upon.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2020, 05:59:37 PM »
I have no idea what it is like to deal with Taiwan but it cannot be that bad!

China likes to lob missiles over them once a week  -  which is distracting.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2020, 07:15:31 PM »
I think Kymco riders in Europe/North America forget, don't know----In Asia cheaper/lower end bikes/scooters are considered throw away (exception Honda Cub and 2 stroke Vespas, maybe) I lived/rode over 20 years in Asia, so have some experience there.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2020, 08:54:50 AM »
I think Kymco riders in Europe/North America forget, don't know----In Asia cheaper/lower end bikes/scooters are considered throw away (exception Honda Cub and 2 stroke Vespas, maybe) I lived/rode over 20 years in Asia, so have some experience there.

Even more so with the current Chinese marques as I know only too well with my son's 2014 Keeway 125cc!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2020, 05:38:52 AM »
I take it by the banter I might not get a response on technical help for the MyRoad.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2020, 01:52:26 PM »
They have redone the website and I think the new leadership might be trying to put forward a better foot. If Kymco is serious about keeping a solid foothold in the USA, customer service and parts access has to be at the top of the list. Maybe we should all write to the new management to make suggestions about improving the brand recognition and reliability.

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()