Author Topic: Grandvista air cleaner replacement.  (Read 3463 times)

Boudroux

• View Profile
Grandvista air cleaner replacement.
« on: March 11, 2015, 05:34:07 PM »
First, can someone tell me the correct part # of the air cleaner? Secondly, are they that difficult to replace? Should I just have my local mechanic do it instead ?
Thanks..

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Grandvista air cleaner replacement.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 05:39:58 PM »
1721A-KKC3-900 it's not rocket science to replace, but there is a bracket that is a B**CH to get to. You can either take the seat out and use a ratcheting box wrench to get it, or what I do is drill a small hole big enough for a 8mm socket so you can unscrew it through the body of the scooter. I have the air filters in stock they are $25 plus USPS flat rate.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 11:14:45 PM »
...are they that difficult to replace? Should I just have my local mechanic do it instead ?
Thanks..

Under 10K miles I don't recommend replacing it.  I did mine at 10K and it made zero difference in performance and mpg.  I now have 16K miles and my 2005 GV runs great.  I see more damage and breakage as a result of changing things way before then need (my opinion) to be changed just because the manual says every 2500? miles. 

How many miles on your scoot and is it running ok?
PaulC

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 11:46:34 PM »
Under 10K miles I don't recommend replacing it.  I did mine at 10K and it made zero difference in performance and mpg.  I now have 16K miles and my 2005 GV runs great.  I see more damage and breakage as a result of changing things way before then need (my opinion) to be changed just because the manual says every 2500? miles. 

How many miles on your scoot and is it running ok?

Depends on the riding environment. Dry, not dirty conditions 10,000 might be decent. if it comes out black it needs to be changed plain and simple. You might not "feel" the difference but your bike will love you that much more. I would say dry conditions check every 4-5000mi, wet and or dirty conditions check ever 1-2000mi.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 12:02:07 AM »
Depends on the riding environment. Dry, not dirty conditions...check every 4-5000mi, wet and or dirty conditions check ever 1-2000mi.

Good guideline.  My main point is that I see people with ultra low mile scoots that should focus on riding more getting into trouble.  I also think the air cleaner could have been designed much easier to access.  I feel like Kymco over complicated it so you run to your dealer for what should be an easy replacement.  The dealer sill makes $25+? for the OEM filter.
PaulC

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 01:01:11 AM »
Good guideline.  My main point is that I see people with ultra low mile scoots that should focus on riding more getting into trouble.  I also think the air cleaner could have been designed much easier to access.  I feel like Kymco over complicated it so you run to your dealer for what should be an easy replacement.  The dealer sill makes $25+? for the OEM filter.

Indeed all good points. The stock filters are not cheap, when all they consist of is paper and plastic should be $5. On most of my bikes I'll got buy a $50 sheet of K&N filter, like a large one meant for a car, and cut a section out and glue it in the frame of the stock filter. Can make 3-4 with one sheet and never replace again, just clean periodically. From my experience working on scoots, Kymco is actually one of the easier brands to work on. There are a couple oddball Kymcos that are a PITA for certain things but all in all pretty service friendly. Try working on a Honda Big Ruckus, that'll change your opinion of a design flaw lol.

jayocampo88

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 03:49:49 AM »
My scoot is at the 19K Miles.

Don't know how much the last  owner took care of it.  I changed its Coolant, the Gear Oil, I'll change the oil this season, as well as give it a full tune up and belt change. As well as new tires and carb clean at the end of this season.

Now, I have been playing with this idea for a while...installing what is called "Cold Air Intake" on the bike. I've done it with all my cars (even my V8 van) and I felt it lets the engine breathe better.

I figured with this Scoot, it shouldn't really be that difficult. and for the Filter itself, I figured a Mushroom shaped filter would fit the scoot both aesthetically, and wouldn't stick out much. An actual cone I feel would also work, and give it a little more of an aggressive look.

What's everyone's point of view on this?

jeffreyholt79

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 04:52:26 AM »
Can someone help me with why my gas gauge is stuck on 2 bars it sat for a whyle befor i bought it ...05,grand vista 250

Zurg1960

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 05:36:26 AM »
First, I don't think there's a need to modify the air intake. In Grandvista (or Dink as we know it) the intake has been routed to a set of small louvers on the right side below saddle meaning that the intake air is clean and cool (much better than Downtown which is sucking its intake below right side cover which must be one of the dirtiest places on your scooter when driving). And as this is a scooter engine and not a very modern one of that the benefits from mod are questionable...

Second, if the fuel gauge is not showing the real amount in the tank I would first check the sender unit in the tank. It is a very simple rheostat/moving float system accessible from the top of the tank.
'16 TGB Bellavita
'06 Xciting 500
'14 MyRoad 700i

jayocampo88

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 06:11:23 AM »
First, I don't think there's a need to modify the air intake. In Grandvista (or Dink as we know it) the intake has been routed to a set of small louvers on the right side below saddle meaning that the intake air is clean and cool (much better than Downtown which is sucking its intake below right side cover which must be one of the dirtiest places on your scooter when driving). And as this is a scooter engine and not a very modern one of that the benefits from mod are questionable...

I was also partially thinking about it just for looks. So I mean, I don't think it would hurt it at all.
That's kind of what I was getting at...to know if it would be damaging to the scoot or not.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 07:23:15 AM »
The pod filter sounds bad on the 250 engine, i tried it on mine. Also If it rains at all where you live it'll get clogged with water.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()