Author Topic: Super 8 150 light cutting off when acelelrating  (Read 9777 times)

Nori

• View Profile
Re: Super 8 150 light cutting off when acelelrating
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 10:11:20 PM »
Guys im getting nervous every day more  >:(
Who can ship to me the light control module pls guys i need this
i live in Balkan Europe so here kymco is unknown brand
so lets dont even talk about the parts :/

Monty33

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 11:22:08 AM »
So guys....I'm new to the forum.  Been reading threads on this Super 8 150 light issue but don't see a consensus on the solution.  My headlights go out above idle.  Some say it's the light control box, some say it's the CDI.
Anybody know how to fix the issue?  I'm no longer under warranty and no dealer close by anyway.
Appreciate any detailed response!

skishades

• Point 'em and Pray
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 09:03:02 PM »
I blew a fuse on my bike when adding some LED's to the brake lights.  My headlights went off when I blew the fuse.  I fixed the fuse and the faulty wiring.  Found the alarm I had installed also blew and prevented the bike from starting.  Pulled that out and now the bike starts normally.  Headlights came back on after starting.  But go off when above idle.  I already replaced the CDI and the light control assay... still the lights go off above idle.  I have had all the wires tested and everything tests appropriately.  I have since added LED bulbs while I had everything out.  Do I need to add a resistor? Will the lights shut off if they don't detect a draw?
I will ski till Hell freezes over... then I will have no fear of death.

skishades

• Point 'em and Pray
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 06:33:06 PM »
I found part of the problem with US design.  If you bypass the Light Control Module, the fuse blows because the lights can pull power from the ground wire.  The blue is grounded when the white is hot and the White is grounded when the blue is hot (hi/low beam).  The light control module prevents the ground (the green wire) from powering up the blue wire when the white is hot (and vice versa).  Basically, you are pulling both filaments when you bypass the LCM.  I installed LED's and they won't stay on.  The LCM or CDI isn't detecting enough draw so it is cutting the power to the lights.  Once bypassed, I only have brights on.  I traced the wiring and  it is pulling power from the ground wire.  There is almost no resistance in the LED's and its lights up on full bright.

I am pulling the bright wire for now so my bike will run safely at night (without blinding oncoming traffic) but I am considering a possible fix by using a Diode (allows only one way electrical flow) on both the blue and white wires.  Will let you know how that works out. 

Would also appreciate any other ideas.

Monty33

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 07:31:26 PM »
So Sentinex...what was the verdict at the dealer?  I have this issue as well and don't seem to see a concensus as to the cause/solution.  I don't want to replace the CDI if it's the Light Control and vice-versa.

I'm not really an electrical whiz, so I'd rather not have to by-pass anything if I can just replace the correct part.

Also...anybody have suggestions on where to best buy Kymco replacement parts online.  Dealer is too far away for me.  (2009 Super 8 150)

skishades

• Point 'em and Pray
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 09:29:23 AM »
I looked up my Kymco parts on Kymcopartsonline.com. With the part number, I googled for prices.  Sometimes kymcopartsonline was the cheapest, and sometimes they weren't.  Google is your friend though.

Anyone know or understand Diodes?  My LED bulbs are 15/21w... no idea what amperage they draw.  I want to put in a silicone diode to prevent electrical flow down unused wires.  I know its for a 12v system, something that can handle 35w bulbs in case I need to go back to original bulbs, and the original draw was 5.8 amps... no idea what the current draw is but it is less. Does anybody know how to find the correct diode? I look online but it usually requires knowing what you want to find it.  This fix would also likely work for anyone who wants to bypass their LCM as well.

Monty33

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 08:19:32 PM »
Just an update to my issue of headlights turning off when above idle.

From the threads on the issue, it could have been the CDI or the Light Control Module (LCM).  I bought a new CDI online for $75, but that didn't fix the issue.
Finally had to bring it to a shop and then replaced the LCM.  That fixed the issue....although I haven't picked the scooter up yet.

pilipo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 05:14:02 PM »
The low beam filament burned out on my "09" Super 8, 150. No low beam headlights on both sides while riding. At stop sign while idling I clicked on high beam's and both came on, and stayed on while riding. Have gathered from this post that the Light Control Module (LCM) is causing both low beams to be dead while riding as it is trying to save energy, and battery life. At idle one of the low beam light comes on. Clicking to high beam only at idle both high beams come as normal and stay on as long as I do not click the low beams. I upgraded my headlight bulbs with 2 L.E.D. headlight bulbs rated at 900 Lumen each. These L.E.D.'s only use around 20 watts total, that is approximately 1.5 Amps. The Light Control Module (LCM) was not made for this light wattage use, so my problem with new L.E.D. headlights persists. Both high and low beams work on low mode at idle, as throttle increases lights get bright then both go out. At this stage I want to disconnect the LCM as its use for saving battery is no longer needed, due to the very low wattage use of the new L.E.D. headlights. Anyone out there know how I may safely remove, or disconnect the LCM so that as soon as I turn key on my lights come on, even when engine is not running?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()