Author Topic: Vibe running rough when warmed up.  (Read 1371 times)

Ria69

• View Profile
Vibe running rough when warmed up.
« on: December 24, 2014, 11:59:14 PM »
Hi all. I'm new to these forums and new to scooters. I've just bought myself a 2006 Vibe. I'm totally in love with it but still ironing out some bugs with it. It starts and runs great when cold but once you turn it off and try to start it again it runs rough. Then when you try to give it some juice it seems to bog down then dies. Any ideas on what this could be anyone? Thanks in advance :)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Vibe running rough when warmed up.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 12:12:31 AM »
Hi all. I'm new to these forums and new to scooters. I've just bought myself a 2006 Vibe. I'm totally in love with it but still ironing out some bugs with it. It starts and runs great when cold but once you turn it off and try to start it again it runs rough. Then when you try to give it some juice it seems to bog down then dies. Any ideas on what this could be anyone? Thanks in advance :)

Carb clean
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 12:14:45 AM »
There are lots of maybes... Start w/ a compression test 120psi or above is good.

The stator or cdi could be on the way out so test for spark when it is giving you a hard time. Also pull off the fuel line to see if the petcock is closing when the bike is mot running.

The things I would do first are, replace the spark plug/air filter/fuel filter, and rebuild the carb. COMPLETELY tear down the carb to all it's bits, and run a wire thru everything. Blow it all out w/ a can of Carb Clean.

Have you tried to adjust the idle mix screw? It's the smaller screw on the left side of the carb. Turn it in either direction to make the rpm as high as it will go. Turn the idle down using the bigger screw, and keep doing this until you have the best setting. Then turn the small screw 1/4 turn counter clockwise to slightly enrich the circuit.

Go for the new parts first. Old parts will never work right no matter what you adjust. It'll run you less than 20 bucks

"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Ria69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 12:23:25 AM »
Thanks guys. Will definitely get onto those things

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 03:49:10 AM »
Keep us updated. There are loads of simple fixes once the base lines are set.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Ria69

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 06:52:21 AM »
Update everyone. Pulled carbie out and gave it a thorough clean. Put a new spark plug in it. Checked all the wiring out while we had it all apart and discovered a loose wire off the coil. Drained all the fuel and put new fuel in it. It's now running like a dream. Thanks to all for your input. Much appreciated.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 12:06:45 PM »
That's good to hear. Most of the time an older scoot can be brought back to life with just simple maintenance.

Stick around. You might be able to help someone else.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()