Author Topic: Use no anti seize on NGK plugs  (Read 957 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Use no anti seize on NGK plugs
« on: July 07, 2017, 08:14:44 PM »
Old habbits vs new technology.  There WAS a time when spark plugs seized in engines. I had a 60's Mustang convertible with one frozen plug. Broke 2 sockets and quit fooling with it. Small block V8.

Reading an article on Rotax airplane engines today...I read again that NGK  says not to use any anti-seize products when installing their spark plugs. For at least two reasons - anti-seize pastes reduce friction when installing a spark plug - which often leads to overtightening and damaged cylinder threads. Also, most pastes are electrical conductors and can short a plug electrode. Importantly - also, NGK spark plugs are already coated against corrosion and seizing with a special finish.

There is a paste that is used on some NGK applications - but it is used to facilitate a specific heat transfer on certain aircooled light airplane engines.
Once again, NGK is very specific about using only the recommended spark plug for your engine.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Use no anti seize on NGK plugs
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 12:17:35 AM »
You gotta be kiddin', sonny! Why, I been screwin' spark plugs into and outten Pratts since 'fore you even knew what an aileron was and we ALWAYS used anti-seize! Always been that way!

If NGK says don't use anti-seize they probably know what they are talking about and have developed the goods that work. That slippery stuff WILL make it easy to strip threads and it is NASTY to get on your hands! Doesthat apply to all NGK plugs? Thanks for the info!

Karl

Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 03:53:48 AM »
Never used anti seize as a dealer mechanic, never had a problem getting them out, old (crush washer) or new (taper fit).
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 05:06:29 AM »
The use of anti seize, on spark plug threads, really caught on with the advent of aluminum heads. Steel and aluminum that go thru heat cycles together is never good, especially where threads are involved. The sale of heli coil kits also increased about that same time. The biggest problem occurs when some one dips the plug in anti-seize instead of just putting on a light coat. A little dab will do ya.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 06:30:36 AM »
I did read that NGK article Stig mentioned, quite some time ago.
NGK is demanding control of the plug temp and do not want anyone tampering with the fitment between the plug and the cylinder head with some sort of goop they may fancy ATM.

They couldn't be less interested if the machine is abused in some sort of Xtreme service and left for months or even years without proper service.
Neither do they care if threads are pulled when the plug is eventually ruined.
They would place blame on the mechanic or the manufacturer of the cylinder head.

I do know for fact that the silver colored anti-seize compound applied to nuts and bolts on under-sea mining equipment operated at 14,000ft depth remains effective and the equipment may be dis-assembled when retrieved.

I will continue to make use of it, as I have always done, and be cautious to use it sparingly so I don't affect those precious NGK's !
At the racer's edge, optimal ignition is right at the top of the list in the winner's circle.

Hmmm...  I never been there.
I'm not a racey kinda guy.
redk

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 09:29:01 AM »
I agree with crossbolt and RedkI always use anti-seize even on NGK plugs for my scoot.  I put a very small amount on.  I don't over-tighten spark plugs I just snug them.  No problems ever.
PaulC

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
I will always use anti seize
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 01:26:39 PM »
On spark plugs. I have seen how plugs seize in aluminum heads. My brother in law has a Honda Civic that has one spark plug stuck in it and cannot get it out.
It would be very hard for me to NOT use anti seize.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()