Author Topic: How to remove the side panel covers to reach the rectifier?  (Read 566 times)

Seanny

• View Profile
As per another post here, I am trying to test the rectifier with a multimeter and I am currently trying to do that.

However I encounter an issue, I can't remove the side panel cover to reach the rectifier. There's a screw that I just can't reach even with a stubby.

Any ideas?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: How to remove the side panel covers to reach the rectifier?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 12:01:27 AM »
What was the result of the battery test I recommended?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Seanny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 02:17:01 AM »
What was the result of the battery test I recommended?

No not yet, I don't have the chance to ride 50 miles this weekend. Instead I was following this post here to test the stator and regulator:
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=24424.0

But the unfortunate thing is my multimeter's nodes are not long enough to touch the inner metal parts of the harnesses. The tip of the nodes are too short.
So instead, I just replaced the old rectifier with a new one and see if this will solve the problem. I figured out a way to not have to remove the side panel covers to change the rectifier. I used a small click torque wrench to remove the two bolts.
I'll probably ride tomorrow but not 50 miles, maybe 20 miles at most and will test the voltage across the battery before and after the ride and see if the charging causes the voltage to go up.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 02:26:29 AM »
how to remove side panels !!!! :P :P you don't remove one side panel!!  you remove both panels with the rear lights all together,.  remove battery and poke a long stick to the back and that little piece will pop off,.  remove nuts and bolts and the whole thing comes off, just two screws , one each side at the front of panel

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 02:33:47 AM »
 :o :o :o cant find pictures DAMNNNNNNN IT

Seanny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 03:20:52 AM »
how to remove side panels !!!! :P :P you don't remove one side panel!!  you remove both panels with the rear lights all together,.  remove battery and poke a long stick to the back and that little piece will pop off,.  remove nuts and bolts and the whole thing comes off, just two screws , one each side at the front of panel

Wait really? The little piece that pops off, is it the rear panel cover thats on top of the brake lights? I managed to take that off, nearly broke a tab but luckily it's still hanging on. But from what you are saying, sounds like you don't even have to disconnect any tabs, the whole piece including left and right sides of the panels, the top rear panel, and the brake lights come off together with just two screws? At the front of panel? Where is the front of panel?

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 04:26:48 AM »
JUST LOOKED AT MY SCOOT remove the top piece behind the seat,  two bolts under there,.  holding the lights,  4 nuts  in the back with 2 bolts,.  holding the mud gard , then It should come off as one piece,

Seanny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 06:00:35 AM »
JUST LOOKED AT MY SCOOT remove the top piece behind the seat,  two bolts under there,.  holding the lights,  4 nuts  in the back with 2 bolts,.  holding the mud gard , then It should come off as one piece,

There are four bolts that are holding the grey rear wing thing, 2 long bolts behind the seats and one on each sides. Then there are two screws that are holding the rear piece of the cover. Where are the two bolts under that are holding the lights? As well as the 4 nuts with 2 bolts? Would be great if there are photos would make it a lot easier to understand.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()