Author Topic: replace engine mount bushings  (Read 628 times)

rijder

• View Profile
replace engine mount bushings
« on: September 15, 2014, 01:29:45 PM »
The engine mounts (bushings, silent blocks) on my People S250 have some free play - I can move the rear wheel sideways about half a centimeter. These are the bushings that are pressed into the top of the left and right engine casing. The bottom part of the engine hanger is connected to these bushings with a long bolt.

The bushings are not expensive, but how difficult is it to replace them? Is it going to take heat and a press to remove them from the engine casing, or can I just tap them out with a hammer? Which way do they come out, to the inside or to the outside?

If they come out easily I won't have to completely remove the engine - I can just lift the frame up a couple of centimeters and leave the carb and all the cables in place.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: replace engine mount bushings
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 04:59:37 PM »
It's a real easy job. The mounts are bushing encased so a pair of sockets, and a "C" clamp are all the is needed.
They will install from either direction as well. I didn't have to heat but I did find a "lok-Tite" type compound on the bushing, and inside the case holes, so a bit of Scotch brite to clear the case holes before install will be helpful. I also used Green Lok-Tite to lube it, and lock it.
I forget but I THINK a 14mm Mac socket fit thru the hole exactly, and a 24mm x 12 point fit the outside.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

rijder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 05:04:11 PM »
Thanks! I'll give it a try within the next couple of weeks, and will report back. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 08:45:03 PM »
 ;)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()