Author Topic: 1st service complete...  (Read 2828 times)

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
1st service complete...
« on: September 09, 2015, 11:50:16 PM »
Home now (busy day, doctor's office, 110 miles round trip including rain) to get the People's first service completed.
My dealer, the small local family owned store performed well. Friendly conversation with the two brothers that own the place; while their "Head Wrench" did his thing. Ninety minutes from start to finish $48 total bill...

The Ownership Experience with this scooter is pretty much superb. It's performance is really better than I'd hoped for. The handling is flawless. It is both comfortable and stylish. The speed is yet to be explored (with just 500+ miles on it); but a gentle roll on the throttle has you moving at 70 mph in about 11 seconds. This doesn't mean it can out run all the cars on the road; but it does mean  you aren't in anyone's way. Further if you choose to be in front of the traffic flow it isn't hard for you to get there.

If the ride is important to you, you should know the 16" tires do make a huge difference. The scooter runs smoothly throughout the power band. No shake, no shimmy, no squeals no rattles.

Couple this with a $48 bill for the first service and you just find it hard to wipe the smile off your face. The American market is missing something if they continue to pass over these machines, for 800+ pound cruisers with massive engines & questionable handling (not to mention huge acquisition and operating costs)...

Yellow Jacket

• View Profile
Re: 1st service complete...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 02:20:44 AM »
Your guess at 0-70 is pretty close. On mine at the local 1/8 mile dragstrip and showroom stock, including top box I got a best of 11.358 sec. with a speed of 60.008 MPH. I'm a little on the heavy side, probably 230 #'s with helmet, jacket, boots and gloves on. I'm getting close to 10000 miles on mine now and for the $'s I don't think it can be beat. I love the bike.  FYI, the best mod for the $'s is a set of DR. Pulley sliders at 15 grams. I have a write up I did on the performance gains using these. Here's the link. Enjoy your ride.

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=14334.0
Scooter owned in the past, Honda Aero 125, '87 Elite 150 (2), '87 & '90 250 Elite, Yamaha 200, (2), 400 Majesty, Aprilia  Atlantic 500, Piaggio BV250,SYM HD200,  Kymco Yager GT200
Current ride, Kymco GTi 300

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
papa
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 01:18:26 PM »
my experience with my GT mirrors yours.
It is a very enjoyable machine to own.
If you only paid $48. for your 600 mile service, you are in good hands.
Most dealers charge $100. and up for that service.
Ride safe.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 03:26:28 AM »
You're making me want one even more, but I would have to decide between the P 300 and the SYM Citicom 300. Local SYM dealer is fantastic, but I'll always have a soft spot for the People scooters. What to do, what to do.....
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 03:49:49 PM »
You're making me want one even more, but I would have to decide between the P 300 and the SYM Citicom 300. Local SYM dealer is fantastic, but I'll always have a soft spot for the People scooters. What to do, what to do.....
Funny you should mention the dealer in that manner. My initial purchase with my dealer, the way he does business and his integrity brought me to purchase the GTI 300 form him.
To someone like me, I ride them but I don't wrench them, the dealer is a big part of the decision.
Once I know (or strongly sense) there is dishonesty present that is the end of doing business there.
In my neck of the woods I have found a few honest dealers. A couple were just too costly to do business with. Another didn't carry anything of interest to me. The one I bought from twice (in less than two months) is stellar...

« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 11:35:15 PM by PapaSoldTheHarley »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 08:38:02 PM »
That SYM is a heck of a scooter, by all accounts. And I'd probably have one if SYM had a dealership nearby.
 And if you have a very good dealer...... ! :)
What say the SYM forums on the CitiCom 300? Any build or running issues?
Always wanted a Taiwanese built scoot.
(have had Chinese, Thailand and Japan --- no Taiwan.)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 01:04:48 AM »
Funny you should mention the dealer in that manner. My initial purchase with my dealer, the way he does business and his integrity brought me to purchase the GTI 300 form him.
To someone like me, I ride them but I don't wrench them, the dealer is a big part of the decision.
Once I know (or strongly sense) there is dishonesty present that is the end of doing business there.
In my neck of the woods I have found a few honest dealers. A couple were just too costly to do business with. Another didn't carry anything of interest to me. The one I bought from twice (in less than two months) is stellar...
I'm glad you found a dealer you can trust, Papa. Our dealer has been great - always honest about their products, solid service and support for their scooters, and they treat us like family. In the long run, that would sway me in favor of the SYM, since we don't have a Kymco dealer here in the valley.
2014 Lance PCH 150
Nampa, ID

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 01:08:36 AM »
That SYM is a heck of a scooter, by all accounts. And I'd probably have one if SYM had a dealership nearby.
 And if you have a very good dealer...... ! :)
What say the SYM forums on the CitiCom 300? Any build or running issues?
Always wanted a Taiwanese built scoot.
(have had Chinese, Thailand and Japan --- no Taiwan.)
Stig
Just a few minor issues with some of the displays, a few battery problems, but no real big issues reported on the SYM forums with the Citycom. Seems to be a very reliable scooter . The big challenge is convincing my wife that it's worth the extra $1200 or so more than the HD200 or RV200 scooters. Time will tell....
2014 Lance PCH 150
Nampa, ID

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 10:07:15 AM »
I remember reading a couple of very good reviews about the Sym City Com a little while back. Glowing reports, no negatives. Looked (online) at a couple of listings; but when i investigated closer they were all from a Scooter Store in Largo that carried the Sym line (and a lot of other scooters, mostly low cost, low quality). Remembering the Sym was acknowledged to be better I was still interested until I started chewing through report regarding the dealer's reputation out (also online). There were a half a dozen complaints of very poor business practices and a couple that included what could only be described as fraud. I stopped looking because of the dealer, not the bike.

If you like your local Sym dealer, I would call that a Green Light. As far as displacement is concerned. I think the prime determinant of what will work for you is the speed of the traffic flow where you intend to ride. My first three leader roads (to go anywhere else) are arterials where traffic stretches across 6 lanes sometimes and the flow is upwards of 60 frequently. That meant my little Like would be at "wide open throttle" way too often and still be an obstacle for many dangerously impatient drivers to take their self-inflicted frustration out upon. So the GTI was needed for top end capability alone (for my area). The ride that came with the bigger machine was a welcome surprise...

That said, the cost to move up was considerable. The $1,200 difference you spoke of is about doubled to well over a $2,400 difference between the Like 200i and the People GTI 300 (when comparing MSRP's).

Still very glad I moved a bit larger...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 04:56:18 PM by PapaSoldTheHarley »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 11:52:49 AM »
Finally figured out how to enable my mobile device!!!!! After moving down the sidewalk too far from the "Dog's" wifi....I'm hopeless when I also get too far from my teen daughter when dealing with hightech crap.
To the SYM scooters....the HD200 has a heck of a good reputation....but would caution against spending up but not quite far enough to get a 300 which would take a long time to outgrow, if ever.
I went up to a 287 (?) Forza out of frustration with my LIKE200i mechanics....then had to step up again to the 400cc's of the Burgman to get the load rating I wanted for yrs of two up riding into my sunset.
Looking at old photos I found that there was the same Burgman parked next to the Forza I bought...same discounted price !! :-)
A year later I bought that Burgman from 97 miles further away! It was delivered 365 days after bringing home the Forza (new owner missed out on the 1 yr warranty by a few hours after he got it home! :-))
Anyway, my point is in hoping to prevent someone from repeating my mistake.
If you're wanting/needing to step up .....think hard before half-stepping....it might be false economy....looking back a year or two from now.
Still learning stig...
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Mikestib1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 07:00:48 PM »
Just curious if they used full synthetic oil as required by Kymco

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile