Author Topic: 14G. Sliders?  (Read 3852 times)

Scootaloot

• View Profile
14G. Sliders?
« on: October 01, 2013, 12:21:16 AM »
Getting close to doing my second belt change and considering going down to 14g sliders. Currently I am running 15g. Mr.Mike I think is running them. If anyone else is would you please give your thoughts. I am not unhappy with the 15's but wondering if the slight hesitation at 40mph might be helped out with the 14's

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: 14G. Sliders?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
Getting close to doing my second belt change and considering going down to 14g sliders. Currently I am running 15g. Mr.Mike I think is running them. If anyone else is would you please give your thoughts. I am not unhappy with the 15's but wondering if the slight hesitation at 40mph might be helped out with the 14's

The 15s are very close to stock setup up to about 60mph, so yes, you'll "fix" the hesitation, and
get a nice boost of acceleration.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

Yellow Jacket

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 02:42:59 AM »
I drilled my stock rollers. Don't know what they weigh, but I only went about 3/32 larger than the stock. At my local 1/8 mile drag strip I went from 11.35 seconds to 10.96. Top speed remains the same, actual 83-84 by GPS. Also, if anything, my gas mileage has improved slightly, as checked on a recent 800 mile 4 day ride. What's not to like!! This thing will outrun any stock single cylinder scooter in the 1/8th mile.
Scooter owned in the past, Honda Aero 125, '87 Elite 150 (2), '87 & '90 250 Elite, Yamaha 200, (2), 400 Majesty, Aprilia  Atlantic 500, Piaggio BV250,SYM HD200,  Kymco Yager GT200
Current ride, Kymco GTi 300

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
Scootaloot
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 01:46:50 PM »
I am sorry I cannot answer your question.
When it comes time for my first belt replacement, I plan to try the 14G sliders myself.
I like the idea of more low end grunt and hopefully get rid of the flat spot in the power band.

If you follow through with the change, please post your impressions.

Thanks boo
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 04:03:41 AM »
Changed to the 14g sliders this past weekend. Being impatient I didn't have enough umph with my compressor and instead of waiting on my neighbor's tried the old wedge the variator and bust off a fin technique. I ground off a similar amount off the opposite fin. Hopefully the balance isn't so exact that I can't run a while. Any comments concerning this including the use of the word moron inserted in the sentence would be helpful here ;). The belt had about 14K on it and was BAD! About a 16th narrow  but was failing in the valleys. I knew it was close but won't go over 13K on this one. Cleaned the air filter with brake cleaner and saved about $32.00 for a new filter. The last thing I did was glued a scotch brite pad over the opening in the plastic cover to try slow water from getting in during wet rides. Rode 140 miles today in the cold and the hesitation was gone! Better acceleration and top end was still good. Mileage was down a couple mpg but too early to tell if the decrease is real. The launch is definitely worth the cost :) GO FOR IT!

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 02:32:26 PM »
Changed to the 14g sliders this past weekend. Being impatient I didn't have enough umph with my compressor and instead of waiting on my neighbor's tried the old wedge the variator and bust off a fin technique. I ground off a similar amount off the opposite fin. Hopefully the balance isn't so exact that I can't run a while. Any comments concerning this including the use of the word moron inserted in the sentence would be helpful here ;). The belt had about 14K on it and was BAD! About a 16th narrow  but was failing in the valleys. I knew it was close but won't go over 13K on this one. Cleaned the air filter with brake cleaner and saved about $32.00 for a new filter. The last thing I did was glued a scotch brite pad over the opening in the plastic cover to try slow water from getting in during wet rides. Rode 140 miles today in the cold and the hesitation was gone! Better acceleration and top end was still good. Mileage was down a couple mpg but too early to tell if the decrease is real. The launch is definitely worth the cost :) GO FOR IT!

Thanks for the follow up. Sorry you busted a fin.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Yellow Jacket

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 11:48:26 PM »
As I stated earlier in this thread, I drilled my stock rollers but didn't know what their weight is after drilling. Today I had a chance to weight them. The stock rollers are 15 1/2 grams with a .291 hole. I drilled the hole out to .340 or 11/32 for a weight of 14.4 grams. I'm now going to open up the hole to 23/64 or .359. This will be very close to 14 grams. Will report back on the results.
Scooter owned in the past, Honda Aero 125, '87 Elite 150 (2), '87 & '90 250 Elite, Yamaha 200, (2), 400 Majesty, Aprilia  Atlantic 500, Piaggio BV250,SYM HD200,  Kymco Yager GT200

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 07:21:56 PM »
Yellow Jacket, I wouldn't go to light with the rollers. The sliders act differently due to their shape which allows you to go lighter and yet not effect top end much. The light rollers I would think would lose top end which if you don't run on highways might still work for you.

Yellow Jacket

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 10:08:35 PM »
Yellow Jacket, I wouldn't go to light with the rollers. The sliders act differently due to their shape which allows you to go lighter and yet not effect top end much. The light rollers I would think would lose top end which if you don't run on highways might still work for you.

Thanks, Scootaloot. I'm just going a little bit at a time and already have a set of stock rollers I can go to if I go too much. With the 23/64 drill there was very little change in acceleration so I went to 3/8 drill. That did make a slight difference. Now I'm thinking that probably 11/32 drill is a very good move, much more than that and the changes seem to diminish.
As for top speed and roller weight, unless the rollers are so light that they do not allow the CVT to reach max overdrive at the motors max rpm's, it shouldn't change. I'm kinda new to this CVT thing so I may be wrong about that. The big unknown is at what RPM  does the CVT go to max overdrive.

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 07:01:14 PM »
[/quote

Yellow jacket, I agree with scootalot. I used 14g sliders in my gti and it was too light. You almost get the effect of slippage at top speed. Stick with 15g minimum. At the moment I have 15 dr pulley and it will top out at 140kph easy. I do have a Malossi  (rear clutch) system which increased the RPM at top end. Hence I can probably go back to my stock rollers of 16g. I am really looking for 16g dr. Pulley. But this might decrease my takeoff significantly.

I am pondering with the idea of installing a Downtown 300 transmission gears for more speed. There is so many things to try.

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 01:37:25 AM »
Well guys,.... I upgraded my variator and back clutch to the multivar Malossi 2000. Thus far it runs great. First I used the stock kymco variator with the Dr. pulley 15gr sliders and the Malossi back clutch. She had lots of RPM on the high end and only peaked to 140 km/h

I came home and let the bike cool off and installed the multivar 2000 variator and rollers.
Went for a ride, and she peaked to 150 km/h. To my surprise the RPM's we're not too excessive and had lots more RPM to go if I had more road to go. Torque and power was very respectable. Stock original exhaust as well.
I just love experimenting with my bikes. I will keep you guys updated on my testing.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 01:39:08 AM by agilebda »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()