Author Topic: Dr Pulley 14g install  (Read 9217 times)

zevsdad

• View Profile
Dr Pulley 14g install
« on: November 17, 2015, 03:49:18 PM »
sorry for the multi post on this topic- I figured I would just created a separate thread here now that I am 98% sure that my paper crunching noise is the result of worn roller weights and that I need to install Dr. Pulleys.

Can anyone please provide detailed instructions on installing the sliders? Preferably with pics or video? I know it's asking a lot, but would really be helpful.

What tools are needed?
Where to purchase?
what weight is best(14g, 15g, 16g...?)
should belt be replaced also?
Where to purchase plastic( I cracked the grey plastic cover that has the kymco logo)?

« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 06:05:26 PM by zevsdad »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Dr Pulley 14g install
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 09:24:51 PM »
Do a search. Multiple posts on that topic. The only difference is how you handle removing the nut and bolt front and rear of variator.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

yao

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 09:31:57 PM »
I went with 15g for cruising, plastic kymco cover... I just left mine off, but I have a brand new cover from my kymco with less then 500 miles, if you want it, let me know. 

Lots of 10mm bolts, then slowly pry it off or light tap on the cover to get it off.  There is a gasket so don't rip it if you don't have to.  I use impact wrench to remove the 17mm nut, without it, you need to fab something to hold the face cover or it will rotate when you try to loosen it.  People suggest to replace that 17mm nut-one time use. 

Putting it back is a little tricky, need to make sure the belt is not interfering with the pulley when tightening the 17mm nut, so I took a long pole skinny pole I had and keep poking it towards the front to wiggle some room to tight the 17mm nut slowly until flesh with the spacer, then I tight it down.  Whole job probably took me 15min top.... but then again I installed my own engine, so might be different from you.

slider was purchased from Amazon, cheapest place I can find, $24 I think, but I got the last 15g, they have one last set of 14g at the same price I think.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 09:34:14 PM by yao »

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 04:06:25 PM »
Thanks Yao-that is very helpful stuff.

Can you send a pic of the plastic cover-want to make sure its the same thing I need-the grey one with the Kymco logo.

for the sliders-what is the difference between 14g and 15g?

Thanks!

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 04:29:37 PM »
Thanks Yao-that is very helpful stuff.

Can you send a pic of the plastic cover-want to make sure its the same thing I need-the grey one with the Kymco logo.

for the sliders-what is the difference between 14g and 15g?

Thanks!

If you do some research here Yellow Jacket did some 1/8 mile runs to compare. I believe the 14's were about 1 second faster in the 1/8mile than the stock 15's. I have 14's installed and noticed much better acceleration over stock.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable.

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 04:46:25 PM »
Hello, if new to replacing CVT parts (rollers, sliders, clutch, belt, etc.) on your scooter - search out a bunch of youtube CVT, scooter belt, scooter rollers, etc. videos for Kymco or other scooters.
Alternately - you can purchase a service on-line or hard copy manual from cyclepedia.com, probably.

It will get you more familiar with the procedure.
Here are a couple to look at:

Lots of scooter CVT vieos on youtube.
Stig
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 04:57:04 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 02:32:30 PM »
so 14g or 15g? which should I get?

and Yao-what about that plastic-still want to sell it?

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 04:33:58 PM »
The 14's get my vote. Better acceleration, top speed 85+, and 68mpg. What more could you want?
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable.

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 07:00:17 PM »
Thank Mike-14g it is.

Wonder why they put 15.3g stock? Is 15 better for top end?

So I dont own an impact wrench or one of those y shaped tools for holding down the variator to keep it from spinning when removcing the 17mm nut...quess I'll just have to improvise. :) One thing I'm nervous about is the belt-I keep hearing that I have to be acreful not to pinch it or somethhing when tighening the nut back on. I dont really understand this-maybe I will when I get in there...

Final question-what about brake pads-are they easy to replace. Where should I get them?

Thanks

yao

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 07:40:54 PM »
here is a pic of the cover.  I went with 15g for lower rpm, I will look for power somewhere else :)

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 07:53:42 PM »
yes thats it! how much do you want for it shipped-I live in Orlando, FL

on the 14g vs. 15g can you explain that a little-I want to make sure that the 14g I just ordered are better than the 15g for me.

Thanks

yao

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 08:44:36 PM »
Brake pads are EBC, SFA498HH and SFA388HH  front and rear :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:47:53 PM by yao »

Abner_Bjorn

• 5280 Scooter Group Rides on FB
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 02:02:17 AM »
You want to squeeze your secondary clutch pullys while you are forcing the belt down inside them.  This loosens up the belt enough so the front variator should spin freely.  When you tighten it back up, you want the belt loose enough so you are tightening the crankshaft nut onto the outer variator/boss and not the belt.   I've installed them in a GT300i and this is the tool I made.  I've used it on everything from Yamahas to SYMs:
Less chit chat, more riding.

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 02:58:15 PM »
That looks awesome-can you send me the specs so I can build one of those!

and describe how to use the tool-I image it is used to keep the variator from spinning when lossening the nut?

Abner_Bjorn

• 5280 Scooter Group Rides on FB
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 08:38:24 PM »
I added the aluminum on this after 30 or so uses on different scooters.  You do not need it.  Use fender washers on both sides of your 1/4 -20 screws.  I've included a picture of the outer variator.  You want the screws to extend out about 1/4", long enough to fit into the indents on the variator fan.     Start with a piece of 3/4" plywood 5" wide.  The tool pictured is 13" long.  It was made for a 50cc yamaha.  I'd go 15" or so on the length.  If it ends up too long, you can cut some off.   1)  1 5/8"  down from the top use a square and draw a horizontal line. 2) in the center of the board, use a square and draw a vertical line intersecting your horizontal line.  3)     draw a point on each side of your vertical line 1 9/16" (total distance between points 3.125")  4) at your center point drill a 1.125" hole (drill half way through on one side, flip over and finish up from the other side) 5) at your two outer points drill a 13/64" hole (one at each point, total of 2)  6)add 1/4 - 20 screws with fender washers on each side and a nut on the back side.  Screws need to extend about 1/4" past the nuts.    I use a 3/8" ratchet with a 16" long piece of pipe as a breaker bar.   Squeeze the clutch pullys and force your belt down to loosen up the belt.  Fit the screws into the notches on your variator.  Turn the variator nut with the socket until the tool rests on something solid, remove your variator nut. 

Less chit chat, more riding.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()