Author Topic: Best bang for the buck... clutch assembly  (Read 2639 times)

ues61

• View Profile
Best bang for the buck... clutch assembly
« on: July 10, 2016, 02:40:52 PM »
Just replaced the clutch assembly with a GY6-compatible kit from eBay.  The scoot has about 5,000 miles.

With free shipping, the cost was about $31 USD.

1) The clutch friction surface was materially greater (in length) than the OEM. 
2) The whole assembly, including the clutch bell was lighter than OEM. 
3) The torque spring that came with it was stiffer and allows the engine to spin up more, before engaging.

The results: butter-smooth launches, no jerking when feathering the throttle at low speed!

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
Re: Best bang for the buck... clutch assembly
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 07:23:19 AM »
Which Clutch-Kit  e x a c t e l y  have you ordered?
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

ues61

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 03:49:55 PM »
Which Clutch-Kit  e x a c t e l y  have you ordered?

Search on eBay for "GY6 Scooter Clutch Assembly" -- sold by Russo Power Equipment, out of Illinois. 

vespbretta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 04:55:52 PM »
Couldn´t find it.
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 07:54:37 PM »
There are 36 pages for gy6 clutch on ebay. Attach a link for the one you said was better than oem.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

ues61

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 10:01:12 PM »
There are 36 pages for gy6 clutch on ebay. Attach a link for the one you said was better than oem.

ITEM #272028875643

If you search exactly for the following text "GY6 Scooter Clutch Assembly" (include double quotes) -- only 3-4 will show up.

Perhaps the results are geo aware, and may only be available in the US

vespbretta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 06:51:25 AM »
Ok. Thanks. Now I found it. But for overseas buyers unfortunately way too expensive.
Cheers,
Robo

404 lynx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 09:20:32 AM »
anyone know if you can run upgraded springs or rollers on the stock clutch/ cvt or is it better to put a upgraded set up all together. if its possible. 

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 10:39:59 AM »
Thanks ues61  8)

ITEM #272028875643

If you search exactly for the following text "GY6 Scooter Clutch Assembly" (include double quotes) -- only 3-4 will show up.

ITEM #272028875643

Here's the link http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X+%22GY6+Scooter+Clutch+Assembly%22.TRS0&_nkw=+%22GY6+Scooter+Clutch+Assembly%22&_sacat=0

Thanks for your post.
At only 5000miles you needed a new clutch assembly ? ....or were you having isues with poor take offs and low speed judders?
Your ebay price is probably  20-25% of the Kymco parts price.
Good news if it holds up. Not sure how 'lighter' plays out in the all around workings of these scooter  clutches.
Again, thanks for the info.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

LidoCA

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 11:34:31 PM »
 I bought one of these for my back up Like. It was only $30.00, including shipping, so why not. I had taken the clutch and used it for my main Like which was getting near the wear limits.
 It is not bad for the money. It runs a higher RPMS before engaging, which gives a smoother and faster start. It does reduce top end speed, as it seems to not be locking in at high RPMS.  I do not know if this is by design, or a flaw of some sort. It felt like the engine was screaming at around 50 mph. It seems to hold up well. It is great for urban riding to escape the traffic, up to about 45 mph. In the suburbs, I felt a little uneasy, as speed limits and drivers are faster.
 I took it out and ordered a stock Kymco replacement for $87.00 without the clutch bell.  I will use the cheap clutch bell. That alone will pay for itself, if it holds up.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 01:30:45 PM by LidoCA »
Steve

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

LidoCA

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 06:50:57 AM »
I bought one of these for my back up Like. It was only $30.00, including shipping, so why not. I had taken the clutch and used it for my main Like which was getting near the wear limits.
 It is not bad for the money. It runs a higher RPMS before engaging, which gives a smoother and faster start. It does reduce top end speed, as it seems to not be locking in at high RPMS.  I do not know if this is by design, or a flaw of some sort. It felt like the engine was screaming at around 50 mph. It seems to hold up well. It is great for urban riding to escape the traffic, up to about 45 mph. In the suburbs, I felt a little uneasy, as speed limits and drivers are faster.
 I took it out and ordered a stock Kymco replacement for $87.00 without the clutch bell.  I will use the cheap clutch bell. That alone will pay for itself, if it holds up.

It turns out that the high speed slipping was not due to the clutch. One of the plastic guides on the variator ramp plate cracked and was hanging up. It was not allowing the variator to open up completely. My earlier assessment was premature.
 So, the cheap clutch went into Like LX for further testing. I like it. Yes, it runs up early, but top end seems nice. Smooth take off.  Maybe because I lost some weight. Maybe, just perception. I will leave it in there, at least until my new Kymco clutch arrives.
 The Chinese scooter forums and several reviews state that the original Chinese scooter clutches and variators only last 2000 - 3000 miles. That makes sense,  bases on the lighter metals. We shall see.
Steve

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()