Author Topic: Getting new tires for the Supe!  (Read 9693 times)

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
Getting new tires for the Supe!
« on: September 22, 2014, 03:10:31 PM »
After having my nail issue with my tire this past week, I've decided to get new tires so I don't have to ride on the plugged one for too long.
I don't want to buy a factory Cheng Shin, because it's only available as an OEM part for WAY more than it's worth. $90 was the cheapest I found it (at kymcopartsmonster).
I'd like to run a set of Michelin City Grips or Pirelli Diablos, and I can get a set of both tires for about $130 from Denniskirk.com.
But, the nearest rear size to the factory 120/80-14 is a 140/70-14. I've seen someone post on here that a 140 rear WILL fit on a Super8, but I was wondering if anyone has run one, and will it clear without having to modify anything.
I just don't want to go to the trouble of getting a tire mounted on the rim, and then finding out after the fact that it rubs somewhere.

I appreciate any input anyone can give!

Duke- 8)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 03:13:44 PM by DMblues01 »
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Getting new tires for the Supe!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 04:28:19 PM »
Can'tr help w/ the fit but give Bike Bandit a try. They have free shipping over 99.00, and price match on tires.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 08:58:24 PM »
I'm running a Pirelli 120/70 14 on the rear of my Super 8 without a problem. Tyre model ST66.

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 07:40:43 PM »
You could also look at tirerack.com and revzilla.com for comparisons. I know somebody posted somewhere on tire sizes, what the numbers mean and how that two different tire numbers could actually be the same or similar overall circumference. If I ever do I'll post it up here. Beings these tires seem hard to get, I really need to brush up on tire specs and how to compare.
Wayne

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 09:20:15 PM »
Tire size calculator.
Fill in the blanks.....
See what comes close (and is available!) to your present rear tire....
Honda Forza folks are using it to find a N.American tire for the rear of the Forza (A strange size NOT acurrently avail in N. America and back-ordered at some Honda dealers!)
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.do

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 12:51:34 AM »
Even two different manufactures of the exact same size rating will have different rolling rates over one mile. (the standard measure) This became common knowledge in the 80's with front wheel drive cars.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 01:04:01 AM »
Even two different manufactures of the exact same size rating will have different rolling rates over one mile. (the standard measure) This became common knowledge in the 80's with front wheel drive cars.
Sure, but all we can do is try .....
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 01:11:34 AM »
That is the bottom line.

On my ZX I had to use a cut off wheel to take a "nub" off the engine case It was just a small casting nub but the tire rubbed there. Also the only way I can install my tire/rim is w/ no air in the tire. That is to make the clearance. Once the tire/rim are installed I inflate.
Just saying if yo have issues installing a larger tire there are solutions.

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 01:35:21 PM »
Tire size calculator.
Fill in the blanks.....
See what comes close (and is available!) to your present rear tire....
Honda Forza folks are using it to find a N.American tire for the rear of the Forza (A strange size NOT acurrently avail in N. America and back-ordered at some Honda dealers!)
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.do

Stig
Thanks for that link Stig!
I put in the numbers, and the 140/70 is less than 1/2 inch larger in overall rolling circumference. A 140/60 was almost 2 inches smaller. It says the 140/70 will be about 2-3 less revolutions per mile, so I can live with that. I doubt that should be too noticeable as far as acceleration is concerned.
And the width of the 140 is only about .39 inch wider on each side, and there's well more than 1/2 inch of clearance from the shocks and hugger.

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 10:53:47 PM »
Bike Bandit is my go to for every tire I need (bikes).

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 03:51:44 PM »
I am getting ready to buy another rear tire too.  I am on my second OEM Cheng Shin rear tire.  The first lasted 8500 miles and the one on the scooter now has around 10,000 miles on it.  I considered getting a better brand tire in 140 width but although people have reported that it fits, no one would answer my question on how it affected the handling.  The issue here is trying to fit a tire on a rim not designed for that wide of a tire.  I have found that going up one size in width is no problem.  2 sizes?  I don't know.  My dealer recommended against it. 

Have you put a new rear tire on your scooter and if so, what did you get and how did it work out?

BTW, I am running a Michelin City Grip on the front and stock tire on the rear.  The combination seems to work pretty well.  I just take it easy in the rain.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 05:45:06 PM »
You're over thinking this one.The tire size (width/height) has very little to do w/ rims width, within reason. It has more to do w/ clearance on the machine.

I am running four sizes larger on both front, and rear on one bike, and 2 sizes larger on the rear of another with one size smaller on the front.

It all comes down to geometry, and how the frame is designed. My bike w/ the two larger tires rides 1000% better than OEM, and my mixed size bike rides no hands all day long (home made "O" ring cruise control). Fast corners are no good for this bike but I just take them slower.

What it comes down to is balance (geometry). Taller tires effect the balance. Wider tires do not.
If your bike tracks too hard in corners go taller in the front or shorter in the rear If it under steers go shorter in the front or taller in the rear.
No one but you can determine what size is best for your bike. I have a pile of tires that did not work out as I had hoped. Luckily I can sell them to other people as they are needed so I lost nothing by experimenting.
What I can say for sure is wider is always better. You get a larger contact area, therefore better grip.

On a PS note... The OEM Chen Shin tires are junk. Anything you get in a name brand will be night, and day better.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 05:49:11 PM by zombie »

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 08:24:04 PM »
You're over thinking this one.The tire size (width/height) has very little to do w/ rims width, within reason. It has more to do w/ clearance on the machine.

I am running four sizes larger on both front, and rear on one bike, and 2 sizes larger on the rear of another with one size smaller on the front.

It all comes down to geometry, and how the frame is designed. My bike w/ the two larger tires rides 1000% better than OEM, and my mixed size bike rides no hands all day long (home made "O" ring cruise control). Fast corners are no good for this bike but I just take them slower.

What it comes down to is balance (geometry). Taller tires effect the balance. Wider tires do not.
If your bike tracks too hard in corners go taller in the front or shorter in the rear If it under steers go shorter in the front or taller in the rear.
No one but you can determine what size is best for your bike. I have a pile of tires that did not work out as I had hoped. Luckily I can sell them to other people as they are needed so I lost nothing by experimenting.
What I can say for sure is wider is always better. You get a larger contact area, therefore better grip.

On a PS note... The OEM Chen Shin tires are junk. Anything you get in a name brand will be night, and day better.

I am not over thinking this.  It is a well Known fact that to big of a tire will mess up the handling of ANY bike.  the question is, how big is too big.  When you put a tire on a rim that is too narrow, the tire will end up in a shape not intended by the designer and you will get funky handling.  You admitted that your bike doesn't handle fast corners well.  My Super 8 with stock size tires handles like it's on rails at any speed.  It's only real limit is that it runs out of cornering clearance before it runs out of grip. 

I would love to replace the rear Chen Chin with a better tire but have yet to find one that is close to the right size.  You just confirmed for me that the larger tires don't handle well:  "Fast corners are no good for this bike but I just take them slower."  My only real complaint with the Chen Shin is that it doesn't work that well when it's wet.  The front Chen Shin worked pretty well too but I replaced it with a City Grip.  The city grip made the steering a bit heavier but now that I have gotten used to it I don't even notice it.

BTW, it's a well know fact that wide tires tend to make bikes stand up in curves and also make them more likely to stand up while braking in curves.  Wider tires also tend to make the steering heavier and slower.  Go read some magazine tests on bikes with really wide tires and you will see what I am talking about. 

As for going with a tire like a 140/60 or 140/70 on the rear of the sport city, I am still waiting for someone to tell me how that handles.  What exactly are you running on your Super 8?

As for the Stock tires being junk, they last a loooong time and have great feel.  It is a well known fact that they suck in the rain.  I got 16K out of the OEM front tire and am at 10K on my second rear tire.

Also, I have ridden my Super 8 in a wide variety of conditions, not just around town.  Overall the stock tires worked pretty well. 

A few of the conditions I have ridden in with stock tires:

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 11:05:39 PM »
You mis-read... The bike w/ four sixes larger tires is the bike that handles 1000% better They are both taller, and wider.
Who ever knows this "well know fact" that wider tires handle worse is mistaken.

You are correct that mis shaping a tire is not a good idea but the reality is the physical dimensions of the bike, and what will actually will fit in the frame prevent this issue.

I have owned somewhere around 200 or so bikes. Every type you can think of. Wider (what will physically fit), has Always been better IMHO. Your mind is made up so I'll forget the rest.

Get new Chens, and be done w/ it!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()