Author Topic: Murphy's Law strikes again!!!  (Read 5196 times)

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
Murphy's Law strikes again!!!
« on: September 18, 2014, 01:34:41 PM »
It figures, with my luck, that something was bound to ruin my mood.
I finally bypassed the stupid Light Control Module on my Super8, so my lights work properly.
It's been running light a champ.
All is good...........Until this morning!

I got of work at 7 am, and while removing the lock cable from my rear wheel, I find a damn nail in it!!!
I can't win for losing!
So here's the big question.....
Can I plug a rear tire on my 150cc scooter, or am I going to have to take it to the dealer and have the whole wheel removed to patch or straight up replace the tire? The nail is dead center of the tire, in the thickest part of the rubber. I REALLY don't want to have to replace a tire with almost no tread wear.

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

Chris0381

• View Profile
Re: Murphy's Law strikes again!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 01:41:50 PM »
I'd be ok with a small plug there as opposed to a sidewall. I just can't see a plug causing a blowout in that location due to rubber tearing. I've done many plugs on cars but not on scooter tires.

My answer: Temporarily until one of the more experience members and come and chime in and confirm.

While we are on tires: Can anyone recommend a good performance tire should he have to replace the tire?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 01:43:26 PM by Chris0381 »
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 02:14:24 PM »
I've heard mixed reviews on plugs. Mostly positive ..... continue riding throughout the life of the tire. Keep in mind too, we don't ride scoots at high speed, nor rip through canyons alike sport bikes. Therefore, I'd say plugging your tire should be ok. Now if it were near the side wall of the tire, I would replace it.

@Chris - I've read many topics on the subject within this forum. I had done some searching over the web for myself and the tires I may switch to are the Pirelli Diablo's, which have been discussed as a choice tire. Otherwise, you can stay with the OEM brand, or go with another brand.

For myself, the OEM tires are just fine and plan to go the distance with them. I don't plan to ride in the rain, if I can avoid it.
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

gn2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 02:17:09 PM »
Yes, that is repairable.
A proper patch repair has to be fitted inside the tyre, the type of kits where a plug is pushed through from outside are only a temporary get you home fix.
Take the wheel to a tyre shop and get them to patch it, shouldn't cost much at all.

Michelin CityGrip would be my recommendation once replacement time comes around.
(if available in the correct size)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 02:19:51 PM by gn2 »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 02:19:52 PM »
I've plugged a few but they are temporary at best. The tires are too thin to support a long term plug.

You have two options:
Buy 2 patches The 3" size is best. One goes over the hole, and the second goes exactly opposite that one on the other side of the tire.
Reason is you need to balance out these rather heavy patches. If you do just the one over the hole you WILL feel the balance issue beginning around 40MPH.
This is a permanent solution. To get home or to the tire shop you can use a plug, and fix a flat.

Option two is obvious... Plug/ fix a flat, and replace the tire.

I'd go w/ option one.
It's ALWAYS something. Especially if your Irish. ;)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 02:28:29 PM »
I guess the next question is: Does anyone have tutorial on how to remove and replace a Super 8 tire ? I'm sure it a bit harder than doing a 10 speed.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 02:38:07 PM »
Take off the exhaust pipe, and the right side swing arm. It's easy. Just a few bolts that are Very obviuos.

I use a "C" clamp to break the bead off the rim, and a pair of flat bars like carpenters use or you can use a pair of hefty flat blade screw drivers. It is about the same as a ten speed actually.

Just be sure to keep the beads in the CENTER of the rim as you pry them off. The center has a hollow that makes more room for the tire, and allows the bead to easily fit over the outer rim.

If you look back to Kreps's pictures when his bolts were falling out... Those are the bolts you have to remove. Use blue Lok-Tite when reinstalling everything.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 03:03:38 PM »
Plugs are awesome!!!!! I've ran plugged tires for THOUSANDS of miles, with no slow leak to boot. I never plug front due to blowout risk. In my experience they work great most of the time, every once and a while they don't take. If your really worried about it, take the tire off and have an auto shop put a plug patch in, like the name would suggest it's a plug that you feed from the inside with a patch on the end.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 03:07:34 PM »
Talked to the dealer when they opened. They won't fix a tire for "insurance liability" reasons. They will only replace a damaged tire.

Strangely, they can't seem to find the right size rear tire for it!  WTF?!?!
They're a Kymco dealer, and THEY can't find the right size rear tire for a scooter that they sell!!!!
I'm NOT happy right now. Been waiting for a call back from them for an hour now.

I'm tempted to just plug it myself, like I've done 100 times on my cars, and roll the dice until I can find a tire myself!

Duke- >:(
Roxana, IL

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 03:12:29 PM »
Plug it I have a tire thats 2years old with a plug in it.

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 03:19:02 PM »
Plugs are awesome!!!!! I've ran plugged tires for THOUSANDS of miles, with no slow leak to boot. I never plug front due to blowout risk. In my experience they work great most of the time, every once and a while they don't take. If your really worried about it, take the tire off and have an auto shop put a plug patch in, like the name would suggest it's a plug that you feed from the inside with a patch on the end.

Thanks Bettin!
I think I'll plug it, at least as a temporary fix, until I here from the dealer about replacement. THEY can't seem to find a rear tire for a Super8!!!!

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 03:44:37 PM »
A bike tire patch works great from the inside. Been there done that too.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 03:56:24 PM »
I installed a plug in a 150/70  13 tire with 500 miles on it , and rode it for 8,000 miles to the bare threads,   love my downtown 300i,   

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 06:42:35 PM »
Get a small stainless screw, dip it in rubber cement and screw it into the hole. It will wear as the tire does and won't come out cause it has threads, plus glue.

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 08:23:14 PM »
I'm getting some popcorn, and a comfy pillow.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()