Author Topic: Anyone checked out the Hooligan 170?  (Read 5133 times)

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
Anyone checked out the Hooligan 170?
« on: July 08, 2014, 07:59:32 AM »
Stopped at a local dealer to pick up a new fuel filter, and finally got to see the new Genuine Hooligan 170 in person.
I saw it online a while back, and thought it looked cool as hell. In person, it is just evil looking! Especially in the matte black finish.
Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me, so I couldn't get a pic. So I had to download a pic online.
I love the style of it. Anyone else think it's cool, or is it just my goofy taste?!?! ;D
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

wkreps

• View Profile
Re: Anyone checked out the Hooligan 170?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 02:13:30 PM »
I wonder if they are partnering with some of the same manufacturers for parts as KYMCO. The passenger pegs and air cleaner cover look like they came off my Super8.
Wayne

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 03:36:14 PM »
I posted these on another forum right after the Hooligan release. You'll noticed I made two visits and a test ride. My second impression was far better than my first.

FIRST LOOK.
I was able to ride the Hooligan followed by a Buddy 170i. the hooligan is not by any means a "large scooter". It's the same size as most 150s. Seat height is a tad higher than many. This was anew scoot so I didn't beat it up. Acceleration was brisk and it pulled hard up until 50 then the power started to level off. I didn't push it past 55 (GPS) but would think it will do in the low 60s.

The ride was firm, firmer than the buddy and handling was good, fit land finish were good not exceptional. I'm not a fan of matte finishes and this one didn't change that. Matte black over white plastic is a a bad combo.

To be honest other than seating position and slightly smaller wheels I felt little difference. Power and ride were about the same as the Hooligan and IMO they only differ cosmetically. The Hooligan has about 35lbs on the buddy and that may also effect speed a tad.

I have a real issue with commitment to the product. Aside from the Stella and Buddy the other Genuine offerings have fallen short for varying reasons. The Roughhouse and the Blur have struggled to sell and have gotten little help from Genuine. If the SYM dealer network bothers you so should Genuine. Thin is a reasonable way to put it.

All in all I like the Hooligan but I question how this scoot will sell. At somewhere around 4000.00 OTD at the moment. it competes with many faster, smoother options.

SECOND LOOK.
Ok got a second look at another Hooligan today. Although I was Luke warm initially I now lean more to the warm side.

Fit and finish is first rate even though I hate matte finishes. All controls are top notch as is the instrument panel. The seat is firm but not nasty and has no "slope" forward as many scoots have. The led lights are also very nice.

The suspension is also as good as you'll find on a small scoot. The rear dual shocks provide a solid but firm ride. The front end took the few bumps I could find very well. The downside it still had those "rattles" that scooters make. For a scoot said to be off road able that disconcerting.

The oil cooler is up higher then on the 170 Buddy. The scooter is not all that big. Matter of fact it's about the size of most 150s. I know other reviews say its in the 250 size but I just don't see it.

The floor is smaller than one would expect and adding a few hooks and a net is nice but nothing earth shattering. It ran nice and most think its about a 65 mph top end.

I left with a far better impression of the overall scoot but I still have a little problem with the 3400.00 tag. There a lot of options once you hit that price range.

If your looking to off road, even modestly buy a dirt bike. The Hooligan is still a scooter underneath the new clothes and it won't take that kind of beating for long.

Personally for me it's to pricey for what you get, just my .02 but a nice scooter.
On the other hand at about 2200.00 I could be a buyer of the similar Lance Cabo 150. I also rode it and its a cool little scoot.

http://www.lancepowersports.com

Be Big,
AMAC
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 03:40:42 PM by Amac1680 »
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 11:04:56 PM »
I, for one , enjoy reading reviews of most  any scooter - whatever brand. Seems like there are several pretty good scooters available in the States....just not enough dealers, parts suppliers  and repair shops. I guess that comes with buying something as strange as a scooter in the country.
Thanks AMAC
Stig
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:08:02 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 01:51:21 PM »
Thanks for the review Amac!
I do actually like that Lance Cabo too. I got to see one of those the other day. The dealer I got my Kymco from also sells Sym and Lance scooters. They have a couple Cabo 150's that just came in this week. Unfortunately, they are the only dealer near me, and I've had mixed feelings about their service since I bought my Super 8.
I have a dealer for Genuine 2 minutes from my house, and they are very well reviewed and respected in my area.

So, when the time comes to add a new toy, I have to make a big choice-

1. A better value at purchase of the Lance, which is a fairly known scooter, but roll the dice on dealer support.

2. Pay a bit more on a scooter lesser known, but have a close dealer that is known to bend over backwards to keep their customers happy.

Why can't life be more simple?!?!  :-\
Maybe my lottery ticket will win tonight! Then I'll just buy both, and see which one craps out first!  ;D
Roxana, IL

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 12:10:20 AM »
I'm a big SYM guy. I own a RV200 and a Lance Cali Classic and both have been rock solid. The Cali has close to 10,000 miles on it and never a burp. IMO lance offers a lot of bang for the buck.

That said I'll take the dealer that cares anytime. I'm lucky as my local dealer is Kymco, SYM/Lance, Genuine and a few china scoots. They are always proactive and I support them anyway I can.

Anyway nice to have so many choices !

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 03:03:50 AM »
Don't know what that round bit is under the headlight, but if it's not really used for anything, if you made it red you could name your bike "HAL" and have fun with it.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 04:40:19 PM »
Don't know what that round bit is under the headlight, but if it's not really used for anything, if you made it red you could name your bike "HAL" and have fun with it.

The round thing under the headlight is a projector style light for the high beams.  8)
Roxana, IL

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 04:02:17 AM »
I'd still make it red and name the bike "HAL". I would also have to hook something up so that when you turn the bike off it says "What are you doing Dave?" in that HAL voice. 

Wow, I think all I am doing here is showing my age  :-\
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 04:19:35 AM »
I'd still make it red and name the bike "HAL". I would also have to hook something up so that when you turn the bike off it says "What are you doing Dave?" in that HAL voice. 

Wow, I think all I am doing here is showing my age  :-\

I'm sorry, Dave, I can't let you do that .
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 07:44:12 PM »
The next sound you hear will be quite loud. I suggest hearing protection...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 02:19:28 AM »
I was interested in a Lance 150 too, but the closest dealer is 60 miles away and that was a deal breaker.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 02:59:48 AM »
I like the roughe house.the plastic is strong.they use dirt bike plastic.stock they will do 45 or better.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()