Author Topic: Billet mirror extenders- Installed!  (Read 4963 times)

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
Billet mirror extenders- Installed!
« on: July 06, 2014, 03:04:27 PM »
I finally got tired of looking at my own arms in my mirrors, so I ordered a set of mirror extenders.
I got them from a company called Luckybike, and ordered them through Amazon.com.  $17 plus shipping.
Arrived in less than a week!
Installed them this morning after work, and a big difference! I now just barely see my arms and shoulders in the mirrors and see behind me better. They move the mirrors up 1 inch and out 2 inches.
Only experienced 2 issues when installing them. (and only one of the issues has to do with the extenders)

With the mirrors mounted on the extenders, I found that when I stop at a light, the mirrors now vibrate to the point that I can't see clearly in them. When I'm moving, they're fine. But sitting still, idling, they shake like a junky going through withdrawls!
Not sure if there is a cure for it. Any suggestions?
I may end up just getting different mirrors with longer stalks down the road anyway, but I figured the extenders were worth a try.

The other issue was that my Super 8's wind screen (I use that term loosely!) had a couple cracks in the mounting posts. I suspect that was the aftermath of the bad windstorms we had several weeks back tugging on it from every direction.
When I removed the windsceen to take the mirrors off, the two cracked posts broke completely off, and now I can't remount it.  >:(
Luckily, I already ordered a new one, and am just waiting for it to come in.

Took a couple pics anyway!

Later!
-Duke   8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
Re: Billet mirror extenders- Installed!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 09:44:49 PM »
I have the same shaking problem.  Try holding only the front brake lever when stopped, that's helped with mine.  Also, today I installed a locknut on the part of the mirror post that sticks out the bottom of the riser.  Did you install yours with locktite?  I'm still having issues where the bolt that goes in the handle bars loosens uo, especially on the left.
Proud owner of a red 2013 Kymco Super 8 150k
Scooter is stock

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 10:22:40 PM »
Looks good. If one didn't know what it looked like without them, you'd never know they were there.
Wayne

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 02:17:53 AM »
Try raising or lowering the engine idle speed. You might find a sweet spot w/ no shaking. The other option is adding weight inside the bars. I have filled the bars w/ a mix of epoxy, and BB's to soften shaking on Harley bars.
A scooter is nothing compared to that
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 01:01:54 PM »
I have the same shaking problem.  Try holding only the front brake lever when stopped, that's helped with mine.  Also, today I installed a locknut on the part of the mirror post that sticks out the bottom of the riser.  Did you install yours with locktite?  I'm still having issues where the bolt that goes in the handle bars loosens uo, especially on the left.

Mine came with lock washers for the bolt that goes into the handlebars. I'll wait and see if that's enough before I put loctite on them.
I do plan on picking up a couple lock nuts for the threads on the mirrors though. Just to protect them from exposure and keep them from rusting.
Roxana, IL

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 01:20:47 PM »
As to the windshield being broke--
After riding around for the last day without it, I've noticed there is absolutely no difference in the amount of wind hitting me.
I'm almost thinking of just leaving it as is, because I think it actually looks better without it!
I might look at fixing up some kind of decorative trim pieces to mount over the holes instead of the faux windscreen.

I don't know, just thinking out loud today!  ;D
Roxana, IL

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 03:30:51 PM »
I might look at fixing up some kind of decorative trim pieces to mount over the holes instead of the faux windscreen.

I don't know, just thinking out loud today!  ;D

Spike Bolts

Wayne

lukasbasic

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 08:53:09 PM »
seems like a nice thing, however here in CA it would make lane splitting even harder. even the stock mirror are pretty wide, i constantly hit other peoples mirrors while squeezing through the traffic

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 01:52:30 AM »
You are an animal Lukas.

Use a "Traffic Cop" to break off the cars that get in your way.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 07:31:46 AM »
seems like a nice thing, however here in CA it would make lane splitting even harder. even the stock mirror are pretty wide, i constantly hit other peoples mirrors while squeezing through the traffic

Well, lane splitting is illegal in Illinois, so that isn't an issue. Plus, I personally think lane splitting is dumb to begin with. Riding has enough risk when there is space between you and the cagers. I would never want to be boxed in that close to any of them.

No offense to those of you that do lane split. I just think it's an unnecessary risk.
If you need to get somewhere sooner, leave the house earlier!
Roxana, IL

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 05:51:04 PM »
Dmblues, you're right about the scoot looking kind of cool without the windshield.  My risers came with the lock washers too but they're not helping with the loosening problem.  Be sure to let know what you do to covrr the holes should you decide not to put the windshield back.
Proud owner of a red 2013 Kymco Super 8 150k
Scooter is stock

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 02:12:34 PM »
Well, the new windscreen I had already ordered came in the other day, so I went ahead and put it back on for now.

FYI!!!!
If anyone else ever has to order a new Super 8 windscreen, it DOES NOT come with the rubber grommets and washers for the mounting holes! Luckily, I still had all the pieces of the broken one, and the grommets and washers were still good. So I just transplanted them to the new one.

As far as the exposed threads on the mirrors, that stick out under the extension bracket, I bought some cheap rubber caps for sealing off vacuum lines and put them over the threads. Then I simple turned them so they rode up the threads till they reached the bottom of the bracket, so they are covered from the elements. Simple solution, and only cost a couple bucks.
Roxana, IL

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 02:19:45 PM »
More pics please.  ;D
Wayne

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 02:43:13 PM »
More pics please.  ;D

Got a couple this morning after work. The new windscreen and the rubber caps on the mirror threads.

Roxana, IL

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 03:06:46 PM »
Nice. For some reason, I though you got a large windscreen.
Wayne

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()