Author Topic: Scooter totally dead - electrics  (Read 1630 times)

xsel777

• View Profile
Scooter totally dead - electrics
« on: August 07, 2016, 12:30:50 PM »
Hi all. I need help here please.

Luckily I was almost home when she went totally dead.
A few phone calls to technical people helped me Find main fuse blown.
Replaced to immediately blow again.
Auto elec told me to disconnect rectifier/regulator and she will fire up, which is what happened , so I got home  ok.

I started googling like mad, and came across instructions to test stator and regulator.

Results :
Stator:ohm 1.8-2.3 between one set of connectors, and 1.8 between two other sets.
This seems to be too high as manual says 0.5 ohm.
No continuaty to ground.
At idle voltage between each terminal 20v,about even across the board .

Regulator:
First I Replaced blown regulator with a used one on  hand.
Amp reading on negative battery terminal=3.5 at idle to 5 when blipping the  throttle.
Voltage at battery is 17 idle and 18 revving.

Stator is new, 3 months old.

Should I immediately suspect the stator with high ohm reading.?

Should I also suspect the regulator because 17-18v is way over the top.?
The amp at idle might be  a bit low, should be 4.(google says so)

Does the stator smooth out any input voltage into the correct output voltage of 14.7max? Like a ups?

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

pjones1210

• View Profile
Re: Scooter totally dead - electrics
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 03:02:57 AM »
  The difference between the ohms reading could be related to temperature.  .5 ohms as stated in the manual is at 68 degrees, so if your engine was still warm then that could affect you reading. The difference could also be in the meter. You must first turn meter to ohms and touch leads together and make sure you get a 0 ohm reading. Chinese multi-meters (aka harbor freight) are notorious for being wrong, especially when dealing with ohms. Also be sure you are using ohms, and not continuity check, which displays odd numbers and is not ohms. It sounds to me like the reg/rec is bad. You stated that all your voltages were even at about 20v, so that sounds good. If stator was shorting, then one or more of your stator wires voltage would be lower on the shorted coil. Clean all contacts, especially stator plug, with emory board (or fingernail file), and use dielectric grease in the plug, when replacing reg/rec.
2009 Xciting 500RI

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 07:18:15 AM »
 regulator is bad but the question is why did it fail.  There is more going on behind the scenes starting with the stator failing.  Stators don't usually go bad until 40K miles - or from a short in the wiring or other failure.  The Stator crank out AC in voltages ranging from 20 to 80v.  The regulator should limit that that to 14.2v or so and rectify the AC into DC.  If you put your multimeter on AC and check the battery it hopefully will not have a reading meaning the rectifier is working and producing DC but the voltage part is bad because it is allowing the voltage to go way above 14.2v.  However, that should not blow the main fuse.

To trace the problem you can unplug various components branches however, if the problem was on a branch a branch fuse would have blown and not the main.  To blow the main you probably want to look at the branch that feeds the starter.

Any updates?
PaulC

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 10:55:58 AM »
Hang in there 777. You continue to display Old Testament patience with this Kymco500!!
Pushing her home repeatedly IS good cardio exercise- there is that.
Good luck and please keep posting your findings.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 07:38:34 PM »
Update is that an original new version regulator was installed by myself, and all is good once again.

Lucky there are 3 agents in my province(county)and they are all within 100km of my location  and I check them all 3,and best price wins.

I have 54400km on my ride now.

Thanks Stig.
My XC500 is staying by my side.
I like it too much.
I go cold-turkey if I don't get  a ride in  every day.....

Just the one thing, my hi-viz jacket gets so dirty since I ride all day every day. I have to wash it every week.
I first tried machine wash but it was not good,3 washes and it started to look a bit worn.
I now scrub it with a nail brush.
I tried the scotch-guard
But it is like that stuff is not even on!
I am now thinking of dying the jacket dark blue and I will wear a hi-viz vest.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 07:50:29 PM by xsel777 »
2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()