Author Topic: The end of gas-powered motorcycles?  (Read 1478 times)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: The end of gas-powered motorcycles?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2023, 01:19:55 PM »
Besides the range issue, EV's cost a lot more then their gas counterparts.  According to consumer reports, EV's are also less reliable at this time.  Then there is the huge issue of charging your EV.  The infrastructure just isn't there yet.  If you live in a house you can install a charger, and it's not cheap.  It is not safe to charge in your garage so the charger and car must be outside.  If you live in and apartment you are out of luck until your complex installs some charging station. 

Lets talk electric scooters.  The ones I have seen so far mostly suck. Batteries eat up the storage space normally found on a scooter.  Unless they are big, heavy and expensive they don't have much speed or range. 

They have been promising a breakthrough in battery technology for years now but we still haven't seen that.  Until we do I have no interest in an EV or electric scooter. 

On the other hand I do like my cordless drill, leaf blower and weed eater.  Someday when my 20+ year old Honda lawnmower finally dies I'll replace it with an electric one.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2023, 01:56:43 PM »
Don’t know what the plans are for electric scooters and motorcycles, but I expect whatever timelines currently in place to get moved back, for reasons others have already mentioned.

However, the fundamentals for oil are not good, and prices could spike in the next few years.  That might speed up the transition to evs, but there are plenty of roadblocks preventing a large scale switchover. 

I would think it’s more feasible for scooters and mc’s than cars to go electric, due to their smaller size and energy demands. 
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2023, 02:46:01 PM »
Don’t know what the plans are for electric scooters and motorcycles, but I expect whatever timelines currently in place to get moved back, for reasons others have already mentioned.

However, the fundamentals for oil are not good, and prices could spike in the next few years.  That might speed up the transition to evs, but there are plenty of roadblocks preventing a large scale switchover. 

I would think it’s more feasible for scooters and mc’s than cars to go electric, due to their smaller size and energy demands.

bikes are lighter, and generally less frontal area, although I won't say 100%, but terrible aerodynamic coefficient, they can go slow using little energy, but highway speeds, some cars today are getting better fuel economy than a few bikes
RandyO
IBA#9560

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2023, 03:01:04 PM »
The latest insanity are cruise lines (yes, ocean-going SHIPS!) are bragging about going EV = Electric Vessel!!

I have seen diesel-electric propulsion systems work effectively on Washington Ferry System. Their double ender boats have a propeller at each end coupled to a huge electric motor. Works well.

But batteries in banks big enough to run a ship for DAYS?! I think this needs more time to mature in smaller stuff...
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2023, 03:08:34 PM »
The latest insanity are cruise lines (yes, ocean-going SHIPS!) are bragging about going EV = Electric Vessel!!

I have seen diesel-electric propulsion systems work effectively on Washington Ferry System. Their double ender boats have a propeller at each end coupled to a huge electric motor. Works well.

But batteries in banks big enough to run a ship for DAYS?! I think this needs more time to mature in smaller stuff...

they could always go back to sails
RandyO
IBA#9560

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2023, 11:37:22 PM »
Awesome replies!  We've covered electric cars, boats, trucks, planes - and everything in between.  We've covered all your likes and dislikes! But nobody has answered the question: What are the (government) plans for phasing out gas-powered scooters in your part of the world by year 2030 (just 6 years and 3 weeks from today)?  Gas-powered cars are being outlawed by 2030, but what about scooters?  Does anybody know?

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2023, 09:22:34 AM »
Awesome replies!  We've covered electric cars, boats, trucks, planes - and everything in between.  We've covered all your likes and dislikes! But nobody has answered the question: What are the (government) plans for phasing out gas-powered scooters in your part of the world by year 2030 (just 6 years and 3 weeks from today)?  Gas-powered cars are being outlawed by 2030, but what about scooters?  Does anybody know?

In the UK:  The sale of new motorcycles equipped with fossil fuelled ICEs (Internal Combustion Engined) is due to cease in 2035 as part of legislation aimed at reducing carbon emissions and forge a greener future for the planet.18 Jan 2023
https://www.bennetts.co.uk › january
“Enforced change to electric will diminish motorcycle market” - MAG - Bennetts Insurance
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2023, 03:19:50 PM »
not a lot of specific info...heres a link to an article that's 4 years old..

It mentions China and India eliminating sales of new ICE vehicles by 2040 / 2030. With China and India currently the world's #1 and #3 largest auto markets, we'd better pay attention.

https://www.rideapart.com/news/359600/world-plans-ditch-gasoline-bikes/
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2023, 05:01:11 PM »
not a lot of specific info...heres a link to an article that's 4 years old..

It mentions China and India eliminating sales of new ICE vehicles by 2040 / 2030. With China and India currently the world's #1 and #3 largest auto markets, we'd better pay attention.

https://www.rideapart.com/news/359600/world-plans-ditch-gasoline-bikes/

I think that article might be a bit outdated Jul 12, 2019
RandyO
IBA#9560

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2023, 05:30:25 PM »
Yep, he did SAY it was 4 years old...
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2023, 02:29:49 AM »
I think that article might be a bit outdated Jul 12, 2019
But it's a clue to what's coming.  Thanks for the "bread-crumbs".  Even the smallest clues are going to be helpful for planning ahead!

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2023, 02:40:52 AM »
I think it's important to say the sale of new ICE vehicles will be banned at some time...but I don't hear anything about the banning of existing ICE vehicles.  We have a huge supply of vehicles in the US...9+ million motorcycles currently registered and 282 million cars/trucks registered...and that's just in the US. Even if new ICE vehicles are banned, someday, we will have a big supply of fossil fuel burning vehicles to choose from for many years to come.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2023, 06:44:04 AM »
I think it's important to say the sale of new ICE vehicles will be banned at some time...but I don't hear anything about the banning of existing ICE vehicles.  We have a huge supply of vehicles in the US...9+ million motorcycles currently registered and 282 million cars/trucks registered...and that's just in the US. Even if new ICE vehicles are banned, someday, we will have a big supply of fossil fuel burning vehicles to choose from for many years to come.

I'm driving less and less every year, this year maybe 7500 miles total between 2 trucks and 2 bikes, when I was working, 35k-40k was more common. at 71 years old, its likely that my Silverado and Tacoma will remain in useful service as long as I can hold a drivers license. I really don't see an EV in my future
RandyO
IBA#9560

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2023, 02:15:55 PM »
I expect market forces and economics to impact the use of ice vehicles more than laws and bans.  Be surprised if they are affordable for most people by 2030.  Same for flying.
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2023, 07:24:03 PM »
I'm driving less and less every year, this year maybe 7500 miles total between 2 trucks and 2 bikes, …I really don't see an EV in my future

Snap! For the same reasons.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()