Author Topic: CVT rollers top speed question  (Read 3501 times)

lukasbasic

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
CVT rollers top speed question
« on: March 29, 2017, 12:51:42 AM »
I replaced my CVT roller to 12 Gram which I ordered a while ago to increase acceleration (which it did  very slightly). my top end is exactly 52mph.
since I moved to the country side, I need better top end instead of acceleration.
what weight should I buy? how much difference can it make?
when I got my kymco new, I could go 55 easily, after 4 years or so, i barely get to 52. another reasons for this? the tension on my throttle cable  is good.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
Re: CVT rollers top speed question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 03:35:08 AM »
Sounds a bit light.  My S200 (same motor but carb'd) would crawl up to 60 pretty reliably.
Your plug good?  How's the belt ?
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

lukasbasic

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 06:01:00 PM »
the belt from beginning.
any idea where can I buy belt online? i think it slips

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 04:36:39 AM »
The S uses the same belt as your Super 8.
I picked up a super special elf-made Malossi uber kevlar belt for the S from Scooterworks last year, no issues last I heard, but I did sell the scoot a couple thousand miles after I installed it.
Scooterworks has the worst price on belts so I'd shop around a bit vs. buying from them.  I had ordered a bunch of other stuff from them, so shipping was already covered & I was pressed for time, or I would have as well.

You may also want to check the forums and see if any other brands, Dayco, & Gates for example, are any good.  I believe they run a bit cheaper, but there were some questions about life and durability when I checked.

Do be a bit leery of Ebay of course. unless the seller has a significant history. 
There were a few reports a while back of folks getting either the wrong belt & the runaround on exchange/refund, or a belt that was very obviously the cheap knock-off (made of used chewing gum) vs. what the auction stated.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 08:55:07 AM »
Kymco Parts Monster has the belt. I highly recommend getting the original Kymco OEM belt. You cannot go wrong with them. Have you adjusted the valves, changed the spark plug, checked the air filter? What year and how many miles are on your scooter?
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

lukasbasic

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 11:55:06 PM »
scoot is 2003, 5600miles. reading that belt should go futher....
i weigh 250 and gave him hell as a daily commuter in L.A.
like you mentioned I need to adjust valves, wasn't done since 2k or so. plug was changes at 2k as well. air filter at 2k as well.
time to do some spring cleaning....
ordered 17g rollers as well, curious to see what diff it will make

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 12:05:46 AM »
Not sure how it'd play on the Super 8, but the Dr. Pulley sliders were a huge bump up for my S.  Restored top end to 60ish, & mostly killed the flat spot in the mid 30s.  I used stock weight but should have gone a notch light I think..tough to say.  The SYM I run on stock pulleys, seems to do just fine and reports are that the sliders don't do much with 'em, so your results may vary.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 01:17:18 AM »
I would replace the belt. Even though it only has 5600 miles on it, it is 15 years old. Likely has wear due to dry-rot. I wouldn't trust that belt.  I recommend replace the belt, adjust valves, and put stock roller weights in. (That's what it had when it ran faster) In my experience, going with heavier weight limited top rpms and speed. I am certain you will get this worked out.  :)
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

lukasbasic

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 09:00:06 PM »
sorry typo, scoot is 2013, 5 years old. I just checked the belt, looks good.

I replaced the rollers, some cheap OEM 12g for some less cheap 'performance' style 17g. look like pulleys, just cost 1/3
accel is noticable lower, top end +1mph. 53 instead of 52.
i'm disappointed. the rollers really don't seem to make a differnence.

I have a new spark plug coming and an air filter, but I have a feeing that there is no easy way to increase top end

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 11:36:25 PM »
Overall that sounds roughly 10mph slow.  The S  (same motor similar weight with carb) got about 60ish in the flats with my fat butt on it.  Cruise speed was more comfortable ~50-55 on down.  You check your injector?  Was a fellah on the cannonball had the one in his yager die on him.  They do go out, &/or get clogged.

Also, is that extra 10mph going to be 'nuff for your area?  In the end I found that a bit light around here.
I chose the SYM over the Ssince the power difference was roughly 10mph.   The S topped ~60 as noted, the SYM ~70 with the ability to cruise comfortably without killing MPG at 60 vs. 50.
The S was simpler (air-cooled 2 valve vs. water-cooled 4 valve), roughly bullet proof.  The SYMs ain't china bike bad, but overall you need to stay on top of it more.
Possibly time to look at some other bikes.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 11:45:03 PM »
Lucas, when you got your scooter new, it ran 55 mph with the 15 gram stock rollers in it. Going lighter did not improve top end.  Going heavier did not  improve top end. Perhaps you should go back to what was proven to have worked, the stock 15 gram rollers.  In my experience, heavier weights actually decreased top end because they did not allow the engine to spin up to the maximum designed rpms. I know the frustration you are going through. Been there.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

lukasbasic

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 01:51:37 AM »
Trumper: countryside WI, everybody goes 55-60. if you go 50 they overtake you. trying to squeeze some extra juice out of it for fun. I have a cruiser too, this is just the fun bike I can take into pieces lol.
the injectors is a good idea....i noticed bike is hesitating when launching often, sea foam does help for a while, but comes back quickly

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 05:26:39 AM »
Trumper"

Let's keep that at "Tromper".....

lukasbasic

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 06:21:22 PM »
replaced spark plug, adjusted valves, replaced air filter  - were all off/dirty - 52mph, no difference
last thing I have coming is 15g rollers, I do feel that the 17g might in fact slow it down 1-2mph, due to rev limiting
also dumped a carb/injector cleaner into the tank, maybe it will help some, don't feel like doing more advanced work for an extra 2mph.
I guess loosing some weight will help a bit too.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 12:28:42 AM »
replaced spark plug, adjusted valves, replaced air filter  - were all off/dirty - 52mph, no difference
last thing I have coming is 15g rollers, I do feel that the 17g might in fact slow it down 1-2mph, due to rev limiting
also dumped a carb/injector cleaner into the tank, maybe it will help some, don't feel like doing more advanced work for an extra 2mph.
I guess loosing some weight will help a bit too.

I believe that will get you back up to speed. One small thing, have you checked your tire pressure? I am absolutely with you on losing weight! (But spending money on parts is easier for me  :))
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()