Author Topic: Pluggus Choppus (or Keeping Busy While Gasket-Waiting & Trying To Quit Smoking)  (Read 4423 times)

wassonii

• Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in -wsb
    • View Profile
Still on the OEM Keihin PB16. Such a cute little thing. And the collett (sp?) in the airbox? Divine!
While I wait for the exhaust gasketry to arrive, I figured it would be best to do snorkel removal carb jetting trials now.
From the stock 35 pilot jet I have moved up in the world to a 38.
From the 88 main jet I went up to a 98 to begin this beguine.
The following are pics of the chop from this set-up. (warmed up engine on old plug, installed new plug, drove to an open stretch of road about a half-mile away where I went full throttle for about half a mile, hit the kill switch with throttle open and left it there til the scoot came to a stop).
As you can see, the color is good, but it should be a little thicker, so tomorrow I will go up to a 102 or 105 main jet.
For the record, my chop info comes from here on the forum and elsewhere:
http://www.kawtriple.com/mraxl/carb/plugchop.htm

I did put the snorkel back in for the ride home. Boy-howdy, the 98 was WAY too rich for that setup.

Onward and upward...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:16:34 PM by wassonii »
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
pic 2
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
pic 3
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Rockstar quality Wass.. I see you taking scoots by storm in the next builds. That's about as perfect a chop as you can get. NICE!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wassonii

• View Profile
Mille Grazie, maestro.
I do want to go to a higher main jet so the ring is a little thicker.
With the larger pilot jet and a larger main, I am hoping to not have to shim the needle, though I will check after getting a proper chop on the main.
For the record, a dremel and cutting wheel trumps a hacksaw nicely.
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
If they made a shovel w/ a spark plug I'd buy it. Power tools are soooooooo much easier. I throw the plug out if I had to hacksaw one.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wassonii

• View Profile
Amen to lovin' modern tech!
Alrighty then.
The following pics are from today's plug chop with a 105 main.
I seek your thoughts. Is this a little lean looking? It has started to take on the 'smokiness' and the ring is a little wider, but I am uncertain if it is wide enough to consider it to be in a good range.
The scoot definitely ran better on this run.
For the record, the same procedure was followed and on the same route.
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
105 main plug chop, pic 2
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
105 main plug chop pic 3
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
Let's go in age order Me first! (smarter guys after age). What a chop tells you is the temp, and percentage of the air fuel ratio. It's a learned/lost art.
 Your plug is showing (to me) a nearly perfect mix, and hi on the heat range for that run. You could/should go one -2 steps colder to increase the thickness of the ring. It is getting a little hot in there, and burning off the edges of the ring before they form. Your new pipe will appreciate the colder plug as well. I believe you will get more 7-8k rpm power with a cooler pipe. .

If anyone asks... I learned all that here. 

Oh... If you are using a BR8HSA then you have to order BR9HSA's over seas. They are not sold in the US. (idea in that). If you use the BR8HS then the 9-10HS is available here.

Cut/Paste from SI forum

wassonii

• View Profile
cut/paste from SI:

Thank you as always!
For sh**s and giggles, with aluminum tape, I tried blocking off a portion of the airbox inlet after having measured it and the collett/snorkel that Kymco puts in there. Afterward, I took it on a mid-throttle plug chop run. I will post pics of that after a bit, but something that I had noticed with the 98 main jet chop has occurred with the sidearm that extends over the electrode. A light coating of white over its' entirety. On the 105 run, there was a coating, but it only came up from the side and extended to just past the bend. I think this speaks to your point of needing to try all this on a colder plug.
Ultimately, and we have discussed this on the kf, an aftermarket carb that is fully adjustable is what would be best overall, particularly for the purposes of tuning and chopping (and not overheating the engine.) But that is going to have to wait.
For now, I am going to return to my control (collett in, 35 pilot and 88 main) as I have gaskets on the way, a new pipe to install (and vht to cure) and only 1 spark plug. The baby is imminently due (doc is still holding to the 12 September due date, but I don't know...)
I will return to this experiment at a later time when I have some plugs on hand (I do have the link for where you get the BR9HSA plugs).
Pics on the mid-chop later...
sans scooter, rien

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
..wassonii, those are some awesome chop pics...

;)

..may i copy and use later??
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
..the br9es is sold here...

..nevermind, it's way too long threaded...might could be indexed..i dunno..
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 12:08:54 AM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

wassonii

• View Profile
Anything I post is free to use.
If and when I decide to again undertake this part of my scooter's life, it'll have to be BR9HS, -HSA, or -HIX.
What I really need is a throatier carb at the least and a pipe that will take in and dispel/reuse the exhaust gasses more efficiently (though the ZXR will be going on once the rains let up.)
The scariest part of this experiment was the white of the firing tip that occurred with the 98 and when I ran the mid-range chop on the 105 (I still need to post those pics).
Thankfully, there was no detritus speckling the white.
These are the 2 links that helped save me when I was reading the chops:
How you can read spark plugs and select them - by Gordon Jennings http://www.strappe.com/plugs.html
and the excellent FAQ at jetsrus http://www.jetsrus.com/FAQs/FAQ_spark_plugs.htm

Currently I still have the Silent Sport on (due to the rains, yes, but also the fact that the gaskets just arrived today and I def need freshies for the new pipe), but I put jetting into place for the ZXR (38 pilot/92 main to start. May go back to the 35 pilot and I have higher mj should the chop/s indicate it is needed) so I wouldn't have to dig in the carb more than I already had.
My contemplation is at first using the set of 5.7g LeoVince weights with the Jasil 15% spring to get a feel for the pipe (and to cure the vht) with the Jasil 22% ready in the wings and sets of 6.5, 7.0, and 7.5 rollers ready for the dialing that will ensue with the stiffer contra.
It all depends, though, on how the initial setup feels/goes.
I am hoping I can swap the pipe and rollers in the A.M., but we are sitting on a 50% chance of rain and I gots to goto work at some point before noon, so it may be a rich-running scoot for a day or so.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 01:20:02 AM by wassonii »
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
If you want to make God laugh... Tell him what you have planned.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()