Author Topic: Grand vista losing power  (Read 1042 times)

Vangogh64

• View Profile
Grand vista losing power
« on: February 20, 2016, 10:51:39 AM »
"I just had my back tire replaced then suddenly my Kymco Grandvista started losing power and is over heating a bit. Plus, my gas mileage dropped from 60 mpg to 40 mpg. Not sure what is going on? It was fine before I had the tire replaced.

P.S. I had recently filled my water-cooling tank and I over filled it I think.... could this be part of the problem? I will remove some water and bring it down to the level line -- I just read a post about that.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 11:05:49 AM by Vangogh64 »

MaryK

• View Profile
Re: Grand vista losing power
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 05:16:26 PM »
Your extra water should not be the problem.

I would suggest you look at the rear brake....  Or is the tire dragging on the frame ?
If either is dragging, that would use power and might cause the engine to overheat.
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Grand vista losing power
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 01:31:11 AM »
MaryK has a good idea.  Go for a ride don't use the rear brake.  Put the scooter on the center stand and make sure the back tire spins ok and CAREFULLY put your hand on the rear brake disc to test for heat.  It should be warm but not hot (especially if you only use your front brake to stop during the test run). 

When you coast up to a stop sign and the scoot falls below ~ 12 mph the clutch / belt should disengage and the scooter should coast as though it is in neutral.  Turn off the motor and listen for any odd noises. 

My guess is that even with a slightly sticking rear brake the motor should not overheat.  What else was done by you AND the dealer. 

Did you or the dealer or a previous owner change the radiator coolant? If so there is probably air in the system and that is causing the overheating.
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()